texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
RB77, thewaldo, starkcontrast, BeverlyCollins1112, Skeeter John
113919 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
TexDawg 97,599
hopalong 90,582
Pilothawk 80,348
John175☮ 77,777
Bigbob_FTW 67,746
JDavis7873 67,400
Derek 🐝 65,175
Mark Perry 60,920
Tritonman 59,000
facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums62
Topics782,546
Posts9,932,331
Members113,919
Most Online36,273
Jan 23rd, 2013
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lowrance Gen 3 Screen Not Working #13563511 05/19/20 02:07 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 975
rkd Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 975
I did post in the electronics section but thought I would double up here. 2017 Gen 3 Touch unit....screen stopped working. It powers up fine and I can hear the sounds as I push the command buttons on side but no graphics showing. Quit working this weekend after about 6 straight hours of heavy downpours. Could water get inside unit?? How to trouble shoot?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Lowrance Gen 3 Screen Not Working [Re: rkd] #13563531 05/19/20 02:15 PM
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 534
T
texasAUtiger Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
T
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 534
Are you sure the screen isn't dimmed all the way down?

My HDS 12 Live did this once after I accidentally double tapped the power button. When I started it up it was in some type of dim nighttime mode that was so dim I couldn't see the screen! I can't recall what I did to turn the brightness back up but it worked for me.

Rain shouldn't mess it up unless the seal is compromised. They are made to be fished in a pouring rain.

That may not be your problem, but I thought it might worth the chance.

Please let us know if you get it resolved.


Ranger z21
Mercury 250 ProXS
Re: Lowrance Gen 3 Screen Not Working [Re: rkd] #13563627 05/19/20 03:08 PM
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,978
F
Flippin-Out Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
F
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,978
I had the "full-dim in daylight" issue once also. I had to get out some rainwear and make a cloak to cover my head and the unit so I could see the dim screen and raise the brightness. I later noticed there's a simple button procedure for it also, but I misplaced the brain cell that info was stored in. roflmao

Re: Lowrance Gen 3 Screen Not Working [Re: rkd] #13563723 05/19/20 04:18 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 975
rkd Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 975
Thanks guys for the dimmer thought. That wasn't the issue. It's weird-my screen powers up, is backlit, and all the buttons work (even the touch screen works) but there are no graphics. Calling Lowrance next. Units are less than 3 years old. The touch screen on my console unit also went out so that's two significant Lowrance issues on a boat with less than 75 hours. (meaning the units, although a little over 2 years old, haven't been used very much at all)

Re: Lowrance Gen 3 Screen Not Working [Re: rkd] #13563849 05/19/20 05:57 PM
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 414
B
Burbarry Offline
Angler
Offline
Angler
B
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 414
it sounds like power issue. You may need to upgrade your wires going to the units. Mine upfront was having issues. It would show almost 1.5v lower than drivers area. I upgraded to 10 gauge to the front from dash now its only .2v lower and never has any issues. I ran 8 gauge from the batteries to dash new fuse panel when I redid all the wiring in the boat.

Re: Lowrance Gen 3 Screen Not Working [Re: rkd] #13563867 05/19/20 06:06 PM
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 534
T
texasAUtiger Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
T
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 534
I agree. It sounds like a wiring issue.


Ranger z21
Mercury 250 ProXS
Re: Lowrance Gen 3 Screen Not Working [Re: rkd] #13563895 05/19/20 06:19 PM
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,978
F
Flippin-Out Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
F
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,978
Geez, you last two.....please elaborate on "why this sounds like a wiring issue". What symptoms in particular can you call out that brought you to this conclusion? He had no issue in the past, including most of the day that the unit decided to not perform correctly. So out of the blue the wiring suddenly isn't sufficient? roflmao

If his wiring were marginal, he would have most likely been complaining that the unit shut off whenever he cranked the outboard. (This would be because cranking dropped the marginal voltage to a point the unit shut down, which he never said happens.) So the unit will power up, but because of a power-supply wiring issue, the screen is selected as the one thing to no longer work? Again, my only response has to be roflmao

Re: Lowrance Gen 3 Screen Not Working [Re: texasAUtiger] #13564236 05/19/20 10:44 PM
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,978
F
Flippin-Out Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
F
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,978
Originally Posted by texasAUtiger
Are you sure the screen isn't dimmed all the way down?

My HDS 12 Live did this once after I accidentally double tapped the power button. When I started it up it was in some type of dim nighttime mode that was so dim I couldn't see the screen! I can't recall what I did to turn the brightness back up but it worked for me.

Rain shouldn't mess it up unless the seal is compromised. They are made to be fished in a pouring rain.

That may not be your problem, but I thought it might worth the chance.

Please let us know if you get it resolved.

BTW, If you read that manual thing I mentioned, it clearly describes what your double tap to the power button did.......and how to change it easily. Those books contain some very interesting info!

Re: Lowrance Gen 3 Screen Not Working [Re: rkd] #13564852 05/20/20 01:44 PM
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,002
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
Offline
TFF Celebrity
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,002
My HDS-12live did same thing had to send to Lowrance for repair

Re: Lowrance Gen 3 Screen Not Working [Re: Flippin-Out] #13564920 05/20/20 02:31 PM
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 414
B
Burbarry Offline
Angler
Offline
Angler
B
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 414
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
Geez, you last two.....please elaborate on "why this sounds like a wiring issue". What symptoms in particular can you call out that brought you to this conclusion? He had no issue in the past, including most of the day that the unit decided to not perform correctly. So out of the blue the wiring suddenly isn't sufficient? roflmao

If his wiring were marginal, he would have most likely been complaining that the unit shut off whenever he cranked the outboard. (This would be because cranking dropped the marginal voltage to a point the unit shut down, which he never said happens.) So the unit will power up, but because of a power-supply wiring issue, the screen is selected as the one thing to no longer work? Again, my only response has to be roflmao


I stated why I thought it was power. Also, Same exact thing was happening on mine. It would be fine and even cranking the engine wouldn't make that much of difference it wouldn't completely shut it off. It just would make screen go black. sometimes come back on.

Re: Lowrance Gen 3 Screen Not Working [Re: rkd] #13564945 05/20/20 02:53 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 975
rkd Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 975
I think Flippin-out is right....it can't be a wiring issue. Not saying things can't go wrong in the first 75 hours of running a boat but these Lowrance units have been barely used. Unit turns on (and stays on) just fine. No dip in power when other electronics/motor is used. Backlit screen is fine. The screen is actually brightly lit and all buttons work....I can hear all the beeps. I just end up staring at basically a well lit, blank screen. Sent note to online customer service with Lowrance yesterday.

Re: Lowrance Gen 3 Screen Not Working [Re: rkd] #13567432 05/22/20 01:50 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 975
rkd Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 975
Welp, I think I found the problem. See pic below. Took the unit off the bow and as I was lifting it off, water came pouring out one corner. Damn thing leaked for the next hour. I'm letting it dry under a fan and hoping for a miracle. It was a total downpour last Saturday BUT I'm disappointed with Lowrance at this point.

[Linked Image]

Re: Lowrance Gen 3 Screen Not Working [Re: rkd] #13567466 05/22/20 02:14 PM
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,978
F
Flippin-Out Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
F
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,978
Once moisture has gotten inside, any electronics item is doomed because a large amount of moisture will always remain inside. The moisture will cause corrosion over time. The printed circuit board will delaminate and "through-hole" barrels will separate, causing open circuits and device failure. If it ever works again, it won't do it for long. You need to push this one on Lowrance - baring any drop or other physical abuse, this is enclosure failure, and that's on them.

Re: Lowrance Gen 3 Screen Not Working [Re: rkd] #13567478 05/22/20 02:22 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 975
rkd Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 975
Ok, I'll deal with Lowrance. Any recommendations/tips on connecting with Lowrance to address the issue(s)? I've sent a note to their online service portal but haven't received any replies. I imagine Covid has everyone's service departments trimmed down considerably. Never dealt with Lowrance before on a product failure issue. (and I've owned Lowrance for the last 20 years)

Re: Lowrance Gen 3 Screen Not Working [Re: rkd] #13567639 05/22/20 04:31 PM
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,648
B
BThomas Online Sleepy
TFF Celebrity
Online Sleepy
TFF Celebrity
B
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,648
Originally Posted by rkd
Ok, I'll deal with Lowrance. Any recommendations/tips on connecting with Lowrance to address the issue(s)? I've sent a note to their online service portal but haven't received any replies. I imagine Covid has everyone's service departments trimmed down considerably. Never dealt with Lowrance before on a product failure issue. (and I've owned Lowrance for the last 20 years)


Call their support number


2018 TSS 4x4 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Z520C Ranger 250 Evinrude
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread


© 1998-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3