Forums59
Topics1,037,865
Posts13,935,768
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: BPT anglers coerced into paying entry fees for FLW pro circuit special events [Re: Mark Jones] #13557941 05/14/20 09:17 PM
shotgunwilly Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Mark Jones
As for a vote, I don't have any visibility to the vote tallies or results. My only comment is if I was running the show there wouldn't be any vote. I'd tell the angler base how it was going to go but that's just me. I've learned not to give anglers a vote in my time in the business. They can't reach a consensus 99% of the time.

Uhh.. what? That's why it's called a vote. >50% is the consensus.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: BPT anglers coerced into paying entry fees for FLW pro circuit special events [Re: Big O Florida] #13557977 05/14/20 09:47 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
popcorn2

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: BPT anglers coerced into paying entry fees for FLW pro circuit special events [Re: shotgunwilly] #13557983 05/14/20 09:49 PM
Mark Jones Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by shotgunwilly
Originally Posted by Mark Jones
As for a vote, I don't have any visibility to the vote tallies or results. My only comment is if I was running the show there wouldn't be any vote. I'd tell the angler base how it was going to go but that's just me. I've learned not to give anglers a vote in my time in the business. They can't reach a consensus 99% of the time.

Uhh.. what? That's why it's called a vote. >50% is the consensus.

Lol, I was being ironical...

Re: BPT anglers coerced into paying entry fees for FLW pro circuit special events [Re: Big O Florida] #13557989 05/14/20 09:54 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Big O Florida
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
Originally Posted by grout-scout
Don’t you think MLF would much prefer to have the BPT events and FLW events as planned, rather than scrap their new shiny tour and have those guys go to FLW? I do, because this appears to be what they see as their best option to generate revenue in a crappy situation. .

They didn’t scrap their BPT events, they are still having them, just at different times. This move just allows BPT guys to fish more tournaments, so they can make more money. Did FLW do anything to help their AA anglers in this situation?

As Mark said, the season is shortened. That was my point - the decision was apparently made to showcase the best anglers and keep those anglers happy by having them fish tournaments they otherwise would not fish due to scrapping the original schedule/plan for the season. I also said it sucked for the FLW guys, but it is what it is and hopefully this effort allows MLF and FLW to continue for years to come after all this virus stuff is figured out.

I’m just guessing this is what is going through MLF’s decision process from a business standpoint. That’s what I imagine makes the most sense: biggest names, as much fishing as they can fit in, and try to weather this storm.

If that’s the case, wouldn’t it make more sense from an BPT angler standpoint to pay entry fees for and participate in the remaining Bassmasters Opens? If they win one of those at least they get qualified for something, whereas fishing the FLW Pro tour they get nothing but $ - while at same time diluting the FLW Pro’s chances of winning a tournament.

Seriously? Are you serious?

[Linked Image]
Re: BPT anglers coerced into paying entry fees for FLW pro circuit special events [Re: Duck_Hunter] #13558115 05/14/20 11:52 PM
B
Big O Florida Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B

As Mark said, the season is shortened. That was my point - the decision was apparently made to showcase the best anglers and keep those anglers happy by having them fish tournaments they otherwise would not fish due to scrapping the original schedule/plan for the season. I also said it sucked for the FLW guys, but it is what it is and hopefully this effort allows MLF and FLW to continue for years to come after all this virus stuff is figured out.

I’m just guessing this is what is going through MLF’s decision process from a business standpoint. That’s what I imagine makes the most sense: biggest names, as much fishing as they can fit in, and try to weather this storm.

If that’s the case, wouldn’t it make more sense from an BPT angler standpoint to pay entry fees for and participate in the remaining Bassmasters Opens? If they win one of those at least they get qualified for something, whereas fishing the FLW Pro tour they get nothing but $ - while at same time diluting the FLW Pro’s chances of winning a tournament.

Of course I am serious. Now tell me why it wouldn’t be a better decision for a BPT angler, if they are going to have to pay an entry fee, and fish a large field of competitors, not just pay those fees to BASS and fish the remaining Bassmasters Opens?

If they happen to win one or place well enough in the years standings they’ve instantly qualified for a pro circuit that has proven to be stable and long lasting that’s respected in the industry. As it stands, the thing they are doing by fishing the FLW Pro Series is drawing criticism towards themselves and their organization for diluting the chance of an actual FLW pro of winning a tournament. Both options pay out money, so why not go for the one that offers the biggest upside for their career path and personal reputation?

Re: BPT anglers coerced into paying entry fees for FLW pro circuit special events [Re: Big O Florida] #13558164 05/15/20 12:15 AM
SAKS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

Of course I am serious. Now tell me why it wouldn’t be a better decision for a BPT angler, if they are going to have to pay an entry fee, and fish a large field of competitors, not just pay those fees to BASS and fish the remaining Bassmasters Opens?

If they happen to win one or place well enough in the years standings they’ve instantly qualified for a pro circuit that has proven to be stable and long lasting that’s respected in the industry. As it stands, the thing they are doing by fishing the FLW Pro Series is drawing criticism towards themselves and their organization for diluting the chance of an actual FLW pro of winning a tournament. Both options pay out money, so why not go for the one that offers the biggest upside for their career path and personal reputation?

I rarely if ever agree with you but the logic here makes sense.

Re: BPT anglers coerced into paying entry fees for FLW pro circuit special events [Re: Big O Florida] #13558166 05/15/20 12:15 AM
Mark Jones Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler

roflmao loco

Re: BPT anglers coerced into paying entry fees for FLW pro circuit special events [Re: Big O Florida] #13558225 05/15/20 01:21 AM
rj74955 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
There will be some of the MLF guys fish the Opens. Some of them will fish the FLW's, some will fish the Costas or whatever they're called now. Two of them fished a $100 jackpot we had a couple weeks ago. They didn't hurt anyone's feelings. That's what they do, they fish whatever tournament that fits in their schedule or are close to home at the time.

Re: BPT anglers coerced into paying entry fees for FLW pro circuit special events [Re: Big O Florida] #13558269 05/15/20 02:02 AM
P
pchapin Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P

I heard they were loosing sleep worrying about your loss of respect. You don't even respect yourself.

“No reasonable person would conclude that the statements were truly statements of fact”
P01135809
Re: BPT anglers coerced into paying entry fees for FLW pro circuit special events [Re: rj74955] #13558609 05/15/20 12:56 PM
B
Big O Florida Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted by rj74955
There will be some of the MLF guys fish the Opens. Some of them will fish the FLW's, some will fish the Costas or whatever they're called now. Two of them fished a $100 jackpot we had a couple weeks ago. They didn't hurt anyone's feelings. That's what they do, they fish whatever tournament that fits in their schedule or are close to home at the time.

If anglers were going to do that anyway, as you suggest, then why did MLF increase the size of the field for the FLW Pro series by 50? That’s the issue - MLF is purposely diluting the chance for a FLW pro that’s already in that series of winning a tournament. It’s just another shady business practice by a shady operation.

Re: BPT anglers coerced into paying entry fees for FLW pro circuit special events [Re: Big O Florida] #13558618 05/15/20 01:03 PM
J
Joe Todd Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
BOF. Can I call you BOF? You are like an itch that can't be scratched---annoying as hell

Re: BPT anglers coerced into paying entry fees for FLW pro circuit special events [Re: Big O Florida] #13558872 05/15/20 03:35 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

If anglers were going to do that anyway, as you suggest, then why did MLF increase the size of the field for the FLW Pro series by 50? That’s the issue - MLF is purposely diluting the chance for a FLW pro that’s already in that series of winning a tournament. It’s just another shady business practice by a shady operation.

It’s obvious why, and it’s already been explained, but you’re being obtuse because you’re extremely biased.

MLFFLW doesn’t want its top names to fish a competing tournament, for obvious reasons, so it made the decision to give them opportunities to fish within their organizational funnel so they can try to make some money while MLFFLW retains its biggest stars. This is an unprecedented time that no one saw coming. It calls for unprecedented measures. Will it work? Maybe not. Is it a bad look? Maybe, depending on your view point. But it’s an option and they have to do what’s best for the company and anglers.

It’s a business decision. You know that, but you’re beating your drum because you or someone close to you got slighted (in your opinion) by MLF. It’s business. That’s the way it works. You don’t like the way you’re being treated, move on. That’s the great thing about this country.

[Linked Image]
Re: BPT anglers coerced into paying entry fees for FLW pro circuit special events [Re: Duck_Hunter] #13559142 05/15/20 07:18 PM
B
Big O Florida Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B

It’s obvious why, and it’s already been explained, but you’re being obtuse because you’re extremely biased.

MLFFLW doesn’t want its top names to fish a competing tournament, for obvious reasons, so it made the decision to give them opportunities to fish within their organizational funnel so they can try to make some money while MLFFLW retains its biggest stars. This is an unprecedented time that no one saw coming. It calls for unprecedented measures. Will it work? Maybe not. Is it a bad look? Maybe, depending on your view point. But it’s an option and they have to do what’s best for the company and anglers.

It’s a business decision. You know that, but you’re beating your drum because you or someone close to you got slighted (in your opinion) by MLF. It’s business. That’s the way it works. You don’t like the way you’re being treated, move on. That’s the great thing about this country.

But my original question to you from above when you asked if I was serious was; tell me why it wouldn’t be a better decision for the BPT angler, if they are going to “have to pay” to fish tournaments with such a large field, to pay entry fees to the entity that offers them a chance at qualifying for most long standing, stable, and proven circuit in the industry?

After all, it’s just business and it’s a business decision for the anglers, not necessarily MLF. And like you say above, if MLF doesn’t like the way they were treated, then they can move on. That’s the way it works, right?

I predict those words will play out to be truer than you think come the end of the season... for the very reason you suggest.

That contract those BPT guys signed is no longer worth the paper it’s printed on and the buy out clause certainly is not going to be enforceable.

Re: BPT anglers coerced into paying entry fees for FLW pro circuit special events [Re: Big O Florida] #13559167 05/15/20 07:42 PM
C
CashFishingTeam Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
For the most part I agree with your point of view on MLF, on this and past issues. But I wonder if your being honest, and honest with yourself if you had the success as some of the other anglers when you fished, would you have the same point of view, or be saying what your saying? Not bashing you at all. Just hard to think if you won 2 or 3 FLW tournaments, won or even qualified for the classic, had career earnings over $500k, if you’d have the same conviction you have. Obviously you know I know who you are. But I’m curious if you can answer honestly about that. Cuz if you can I’d respect that.

Re: BPT anglers coerced into paying entry fees for FLW pro circuit special events [Re: Big O Florida] #13559190 05/15/20 08:09 PM
B
Bobby61 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
violin de

Im The last one to let you down!!!
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide