Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ACTION CAMERA #13555861 05/13/20 01:14 PM
harvey walker Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
How many of y'all use action cameras and what kind of mount works best. I have on that a friend let me try out and it is on a head strap. Before I invest in one like to know some pointer about them from bass fishers.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: ACTION CAMERA [Re: harvey walker] #13556066 05/13/20 03:04 PM
InTheClear Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

Last edited by InTheClear; 05/13/20 03:08 PM.
Re: ACTION CAMERA [Re: InTheClear] #13556442 05/13/20 07:40 PM
B
bladerunner Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted by InTheClear

yea what he said unless you want to film while running the lake in which case a fixed mount would be best. the jaws are easily/quickly moved and pretty solid. the one that plugs into my anchor light base isn't bad either plus i don't have to worry about the battery running out.

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity
Re: ACTION CAMERA [Re: harvey walker] #13556470 05/13/20 08:09 PM
C
COFF Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
Don't mean to hijack, but I have a supplemental question.

On some cameras made for cars, there is an option where they constantly record and recycle the memory. There is a button that can be pressed right after an accident that starts to save the recording beginning a minute BEFORE the button was pressed.

Forgive my go pro naivete, but it seems like that would take all the guess work out of making fishing videos. Set the hook, then press the button and you are golden. No editing out all the hours of not catching fish.

Re: ACTION CAMERA [Re: COFF] #13556525 05/13/20 08:55 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by COFF
Don't mean to hijack, but I have a supplemental question.

On some cameras made for cars, there is an option where they constantly record and recycle the memory. There is a button that can be pressed right after an accident that starts to save the recording beginning a minute BEFORE the button was pressed.

Forgive my go pro naivete, but it seems like that would take all the guess work out of making fishing videos. Set the hook, then press the button and you are golden. No editing out all the hours of not catching fish.

Kind of...
I let mine run and after a fish, go back and push stop which will save that clip. Restart and it continues to run until I stop it again. Makes editing much easier than just straight run, you just hunt the breaks in the media and edit from there.

Re: ACTION CAMERA [Re: harvey walker] #13556972 05/14/20 03:49 AM
triton_21 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Look at GoPro mounts. They have several you can mount with double side tape and also the YOLOtek Powerstick. It mounts in the stern plug, powers up your camera and shoots the entire boat. Set your camera to “Looping” mode. It will continuously record but won’t store footage until you hit stop. It then stores footage a few minute before and a few minutes after. That way you don't miss any of the catch.

Re: ACTION CAMERA [Re: harvey walker] #13556990 05/14/20 04:04 AM
Greg W Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Speaking of camera's, I've been fishing by myself all spring and caught several (for me) good fish. 4 in the 6.75-7.5 range. But I have a heck of a time getting a good pic. When you take one with the camera at your chest the fish is farther than even your hand and looks a bit smaller. Selfies don't work at all as the fish looks like it weighs 15lbs. Thought about a selfie stick but then I might have to turn in my man card. My partner can't fish for awhile so I've done all my fishing alone. Here's an example. I weighed this guy just a tad under 7, but didn't think the pic came out that great. I have 2 scales and know they are right as I've also had my PB checked at the marina and agreed with my scale. Maybe people just get used to guys sticking them out 2 feet in front of them. Any tips on taking good pics by yourself?

[Linked Image]

Re: ACTION CAMERA [Re: Greg W] #13557057 05/14/20 10:58 AM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Greg W
Speaking of camera's, I've been fishing by myself all spring and caught several (for me) good fish. 4 in the 6.75-7.5 range. But I have a heck of a time getting a good pic. When you take one with the camera at your chest the fish is farther than even your hand and looks a bit smaller. Selfies don't work at all as the fish looks like it weighs 15lbs. Thought about a selfie stick but then I might have to turn in my man card. My partner can't fish for awhile so I've done all my fishing alone. Here's an example. I weighed this guy just a tad under 7, but didn't think the pic came out that great. I have 2 scales and know they are right as I've also had my PB checked at the marina and agreed with my scale. Maybe people just get used to guys sticking them out 2 feet in front of them. Any tips on taking good pics by yourself?

Here you go: [Linked Image]JK Greg. I’m no help. Same problem though. Been by myself often lately and have caught some decent fish and always like to share with buddies but can never get a decent “selfie” of the fish. Example: caught this fish at Whitney yesterday/Wednesday. It weighed 5lbs. Not a “hog” but picture worthy(especially when you are trying to rub it in that you are fishing and they are not). laugh Now I have ginormous hands but my pics always look like a 5lb hand. Kinda hate laying the fish on the carpet for a pic. [Linked Image]

Re: ACTION CAMERA [Re: harvey walker] #13557094 05/14/20 12:07 PM
B
BillS2006 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
I mount my GoPro on my boat windshield using a spotting scope window mount. It slides down over the windshield and clamps in place. Aim it where I want it and lock it in place. Also, when I bought my GoPro, it came with 25 different mounts from stick on tape to screw mount.

Last edited by BillS2006; 05/14/20 12:08 PM.

Transgenders: God made them, the devil changed their minds.
Re: ACTION CAMERA [Re: harvey walker] #13557183 05/14/20 12:51 PM
L
lipjerk Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Which GoPro model do you guys recommend to get started with? Also what are any must have accessories?

Re: ACTION CAMERA [Re: Greg W] #13557325 05/14/20 01:55 PM
fivebites Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler

[Linked Image]

Greg, I bet your phone has a delay option for taking a selfie. It took me a few tries but this works pretty well. In your garage or where ever, just sit your phone down on a flat area in your boat and hold up something about the size of a fish or even your measuring stick in front of you like you would a fish. Take several pictures holding the object at different distances from your body like you would a fish and take a few pictures at different distances until you get a feel for far away and where to stand when taking your selfies. I fish alone 90% of the time and just started doing this a couple of months ago. You'll find the sweet spot to make good pictures in 15 minutes or less.

2019 Chevy Tahoe
2018 Basscat Eyra 250 Proxs
PB Wife of 32 years!
PB Largemouth 9.56 Ray Roberts
Re: ACTION CAMERA [Re: harvey walker] #13557449 05/14/20 03:12 PM
Fishinfellow Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
I used to have one mounted to my cowling on my old boat. Worked out well. But now I have a cowling cover and I rarely ever film anymore. But if I was going to, I would buy a yolotek mount that goes into your light post hole. Or just mount it to the light pole.

Thats my money fish
[Linked Image]
Kris Winhold
Re: ACTION CAMERA [Re: fivebites] #13557450 05/14/20 03:13 PM
C
COFF Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
Originally Posted by fivebites

[Linked Image]

Greg, I bet your phone has a delay option for taking a selfie. It took me a few tries but this works pretty well. In your garage or where ever, just sit your phone down on a flat area in your boat and hold up something about the size of a fish or even your measuring stick in front of you like you would a fish. Take several pictures holding the object at different distances from your body like you would a fish and take a few pictures at different distances until you get a feel for far away and where to stand when taking your selfies. I fish alone 90% of the time and just started doing this a couple of months ago. You'll find the sweet spot to make good pictures in 15 minutes or less.

Then maybe post all the practice shots of you holding a coffee thermos here so we can laugh at you! grin

Re: ACTION CAMERA [Re: harvey walker] #13557547 05/14/20 04:29 PM
Greg W Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I actually posted this to the /bassfishing on reddit and 2 guys said no way it's 7 lbs. So I'm like I know my scales are right so you are calling me a liar. [censored]. I'll never post there again. I rarely if ever lie, and never cheat on my taxes, or cheat on my wife. Certainly not going to lie about a fish to a bunch of strangers.

Re: ACTION CAMERA [Re: harvey walker] #13557690 05/14/20 06:05 PM
C
Chris G Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Ken A has posted on here his technique several times. Take your iPhone or whatever smart phone you use. Set it up against the gunnel or console on selfie mode and start recording a video. Position you and your fish where you can clearly see it, then go back and take a still shot or segment from the video clip.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide