Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Drift fishing spots #13547268 05/06/20 01:51 PM
ACES82 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Morning everybody! I’ve been wanting to take pops out drift fishing for blues(not the best time but hopefully we can hook into a few decent size ones) but curious as to what spots to target. From what I’ve read blues will come up on these humps chasing Shad and other baitfish as well as position themselves along the break points of these humps and deeper pools. Was planning on heading out with 4 rods baited with live perch and cut perch about 7PM and drift for a few hours trying various places. Do these look like good places to start? Don’t have a drift sock so was just planning on using my trolling motor going against the wind and try and keep the speed down to around .3 or .4. Any tips and pointers for a newbie? Thanks! [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Never Outsmart Common Sense.
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Drift fishing spots [Re: ACES82] #13547344 05/06/20 02:29 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Get some drift socks ASAP ! This is the best time of year to drift structure in mid depths. Find some Humps, points, and ledges in the main lake and try and fish early when the sandbass are on structure feeding. Your areas are good places to look for fish. Any structure in mid depths15-40 ft can hold fish right now. Just gotta get on that graph and find them. The last pic looks like a real good bait hole.

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️ Home of little boys holding big catfish! ⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️
Re: Drift fishing spots [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #13547410 05/06/20 03:15 PM
ACES82 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Originally Posted by 🌊El Gato Azul🌊
Get some drift socks ASAP ! This is the best time of year to drift structure in mid depths. Find some Humps, points, and ledges in the main lake and try and fish early when the sandbass are on structure feeding. Your areas are good places to look for fish. Any structure in mid depths15-40 ft can hold fish right now. Just gotta get on that graph and find them. The last pic looks like a real good bait hole.

Thanks for the advice. I’m looking into drift socks. Would you fish the points in the last pic? I’m trying to keep from floating around like an idiot. Lol.
[Linked Image]

Re: Drift fishing spots [Re: ACES82] #13547422 05/06/20 03:33 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Those fingers will definitely hold fish but aren’t ideal to drift unless you got west or East wind...let me look at a topo and will get back to ya later today.

Re: Drift fishing spots [Re: ACES82] #13547492 05/06/20 04:46 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Not my lake so don’t know if these runs are clear of snags but these will hold fish on any given day and are a good starting point. Try to fish a 10-12mph south wind and get up and go early. Cloudy windy days are best. If the fish aren’t there then keep moving until you start seeing bait with fish under them. Bluecats move around a ton and are rarely in the same place more than a day or 2. Be forewarned, Blue Catn ain’t easy!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Drift fishing spots [Re: ACES82] #13548094 05/07/20 12:43 AM
ACES82 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Awesome! We have a NW wind coming one day which will hopefully favor the spot by the dam! I see a few spots on the other side that will favor the E wind. Atlas the I know I’m on the right track. Now just go soak some bait and hope for the best. Thanks!

Re: Drift fishing spots [Re: ACES82] #13548244 05/07/20 03:39 AM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Good luck! There is a pretty good learning curve to it. Be warned, I’ve spent many a days floating around like an idiot! Blue Catn ain’t easy... texas

Re: Drift fishing spots [Re: ACES82] #13548580 05/07/20 02:07 PM
ACES82 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
All the YouTube videos make it look easy. 😂

Re: Drift fishing spots [Re: ACES82] #13548742 05/07/20 03:51 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Lol! Everyone thinks blue Catn is gonna be easy when they first start until they get out there. Blues are actually one of the hardest fish to consistently put in the boat. Just ask some of these guys that have been trying to learn over the last couple of yrs. Lots of skunks and 1-2 fish days. I’ve left the lake countless times scratching my head and wondering WTF just happened? This is the best time of year to learn though so just get out there and put in some long drifts over different structure and depths and you’ll get it figured out. Give us a report of how it goes. Good luck!

Re: Drift fishing spots [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #13549035 05/07/20 06:32 PM
JJ4MEL Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Lol! Everyone thinks blue Catn is gonna be easy when they first start until they get out there. Blues are actually one of the hardest fish to consistently put in the boat. Just ask some of these guys that have been trying to learn over the last couple of yrs. Lots of skunks and 1-2 fish days. I’ve left the lake countless times scratching my head and wondering WTF just happened? This is the best time of year to learn though so just get out there and put in some long drifts over different structure and depths and you’ll get it figured out. Give us a report of how it goes. Good luck!

flehan

Re: Drift fishing spots [Re: ACES82] #13549711 05/08/20 01:55 AM
S
serj5150 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Dang Gato all true words and you're making me get skunk flashbacks..LOL!!! shocked

Checkout my Youtube channel for tips and techniques on
crappie and catfish
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKsHpQ1vQP7HRC_sw0fXopQ?view_as=subscriber
Re: Drift fishing spots [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #13550503 05/08/20 05:15 PM
ACES82 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler

Will do good buddy. Thanks again for the help!

Re: Drift fishing spots [Re: ACES82] #13551158 05/09/20 03:06 AM
K_Dean Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Chris will speed up the learning curve for chasing blues as fast as anyone. He’s helped me more in the last few years than anyone. Soak up everything he offers!

Re: Drift fishing spots [Re: K_Dean] #13551392 05/09/20 12:49 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by K Johnson
Chris will speed up the learning curve for chasing blues as fast as anyone. He’s helped me more in the last few years than anyone. Soak up everything he offers!

Thanks Kyle cheers All decent Fisherman had someone else spend time teaching them how to fish and showing them tricks. Ive been lucky to have grown up with a great mentor and friend named Steve Schiele who has been guiding 6 days a week on my lake for the last 30 yrs. I know how painful fishing can be when you see others puttin fish in the boat while your taking a beating. I try and help guys whenever I can and pay it forward. Your really starting to get these Blues figured out Kyle and I’m glad we’ve become good friends over the last 3 yrs. I count your Bluecat success as a feather in my cap! Thanks again for the kind words amigo! texas

Re: Drift fishing spots [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #13553709 05/11/20 09:29 PM
ACES82 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Originally Posted by K Johnson

Thanks Kyle cheers All decent Fisherman had someone else spend time teaching them how to fish and showing them tricks. Ive been lucky to have grown up with a great mentor and friend named Steve Schiele who has been guiding 6 days a week on my lake for the last 30 yrs. I know how painful fishing can be when you see others puttin fish in the boat while your taking a beating. I try and help guys whenever I can and pay it forward. Your really starting to get these Blues figured out Kyle and I’m glad we’ve become good friends over the last 3 yrs. I count your Bluecat success as a feather in my cap! Thanks again for the kind words amigo! texas

That’s some first class right there! Hopefully I can pay it forward to!

Never had a chance to go this weekend. Saturday morning it was way to windy with that easy wind had RC rolling. Was planning on going Saturday night right about dusk but the nephew wanted to go bow fishing so we headed to Bardwell, ended up getting on the sand bass mor then the carp or gar. Lol. Still have everything rigged up and waiting to go, found a couple places in Bardwell to try to.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide