Nube Kayak questions #13539722 04/30/20 12:26 AM
R
Rappcon Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
R
Hi all,

I just bought a Hobie outback last Friday. I've been looking at them for over a year. Took it out on Lake Lewisville on Saturday. I see now why you need something to either anchor or slow down your drift rate. Anyway I didn't want to use the boat ramp and the entire parking lot was basically surrounded by a guard rail. I'm assuming they don't want cars getting too close to the water. Well there was one spot near the restroom where I could drag my kayak past and get to the water. Everything went find going out. Coming back, I rolled my kayak. Didn't hurry anyone, but did snap two poles in two. So I'm hoping someone can help me with these questions:
1) Do you use the ramp or do you just carry your kayak over the guard railing or do you find another place to put in?
2) Do you normally plug in and out your fish finder every time you go? I was looking for a way to leave it connected. I was wondering of the connectors would wear out.
3) Any rod suggestions? I now have a bait casting and a spin casting reel without a rod.

Thanks for the help!

Re: Nube Kayak questions [Re: Rappcon] #13539897 04/30/20 02:59 AM
L
lurenthewind Offline
Angler
Angler
L
When you say you "rolled" your kayak do you mean that you turtled it in the water or flipped it over trying to get it over the guard rail?

I have an Outback, I am 73 years old and I have never even come close to turtling it.

Holding the kayak on the spot you want to fish is the biggest challenge of using a kayak. Anchors will work, but can also get you in trouble. Drift sock slows the rate of drift but don't always work well if the wind is blowing very much

I don't always use the ramps but I try to find some place with easy, close access and put the kayak on a home made dolly to get it to the water. I am too old to be lifting an 80# kayak over anything. I can barely get it in and out of the back of my truck.

Whether to use a bait caster or a spin caster depends on what you prefer. I almost always use a bait caster because, well, I hate spin casters. Other folks love them and they have their place with really light baits.

My fish finder is only mounted on the kayak when I am in the water and stays in a protective case the rest of the time. The battery stays on a battery tender 24/7. My transducer was glued into the bottom of my kayak by the previous owner. I would not put it there but it works pretty well.

My kayak does not have the 180 drive. That would be a big plus.

Wayne

Luck will beat skill any time you have enough of it!
Re: Nube Kayak questions [Re: Rappcon] #13540048 04/30/20 11:01 AM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Welcome to the forum Rappcon. Congrats on that Hobie. Sorry to hear about those rods!

1) I use a ramp when I can and when it's not too crowded. If I'm in my heavy Pro Angler I almost have to use a ramp or find a smooth place without many rocks to launch. I launched yesterday from the shore not at a ramp with my Hobie Revo and it was fine but that kayak is a little lighter than the Outback. IMO it depends on what cart you have. I would not go over anything like a rail with my kayaks. If you don't have a cart you need one. It's pretty much a must have.
2) I never leave my fish finder on during transport. It's part of my rigging ritual. Putting it on before I launch takes less than a minute. Leaving it on just to save one minute risking something happening to isn't worth it for me.
3) As far as rods go I'm too hard on my stuff to buy expensive rods and reels. I've gone through a lot of rods and found the Ugly Stik Elite rods to be solid! They're certainly not the best but they might be the best $50 rod out there. I really like them. https://www.uglystik.com/uglystik-rods-casting-rods/ugly-stik-elite-casting-rod/1365092.html

You get out of it what you put into it!
Re: Nube Kayak questions [Re: Rappcon] #13540107 04/30/20 12:29 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
As mentioned you need a kayak cart either home made from PVC pipe (youtube) or a store bought one like the C-tug.
I always disconnect and remove my electronics. You can't wear out the connectors, and in fact it's better for them because it prevents corrosion setting in.
Never force the connector. If it's hard to connect slow down and make sure the plug is matching up and never force it.
Most newbies try to take way too much gear, rods and reels, tackle boxes, and the kitchen sink.
Minimal gear for what you are fishing for is best. Keep the other stuff in the truck just in case.

Just one more cast!

Re: Nube Kayak questions [Re: Rappcon] #13540187 04/30/20 01:23 PM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Welcome to the club. You have some great times ahead.

I also use a wind sock to slow down when drift fishing in windy conditions.

I usually launch from the ramp if available and not to far out of the way.
If I need to go over a barrier, I take the empty kayak across first then put it on the cart and continue to load up.
Carts are great but you do need to be careful about very uneven ground or slopes which could cause the kayak and cart to turn over.

I take everything off the kayak when I get off the water.

I mainly use light spinning rods but also have my bait caster and ugly stick for hopefully that trophy cat or when trolling larger umbrella rig.
My favorite spinning rod is the TFO tactical bass 6'10" medium light.

Re: Nube Kayak questions [Re: Jerry713] #13542875 05/02/20 07:03 PM
R
Rappcon Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
R
I've got a ctug cart. Its decent and I got it since I could just undo the top buckle and disconnect it instead of having to flip the kayak over to disengage it. The only problem I have with it, is it has a tendency to slide off. I've seen someone suggest running the buckles through the carry straps. I need to remember to try that.

I hate using a ramp, but it really seems like most of these parks around texas have barriers around everywhere but the ramp. I was wondering if I was missing some trick but apparently not. This outback is hard to pick up and carry very far without it being on a cart. I'm not in my 30s anymore!

Back in the day my dad swore by ugly sticks. I'll pick two of those up. I wasn't even sure if they still made them.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am definitely going to move put stuff into and out of the kayak when its close to the water.

Re: Nube Kayak questions [Re: Rappcon] #13542930 05/02/20 08:29 PM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
I found that it works best for me to put the ctug a little behind the center of gravity of the loaded kayak. This will minimize the weight you need to lift.
For me and my Jackson Coosa HD this is just behind the seat in its rear most high position.
I have rod holders built in to the kayak not far behind there and the kayak has a little hump on the top there.
That hump probably keeps my kayak from sliding off the cart.
Be sure to cinch the strap down tight.

You could put the straps just in front of the seat so the seat keeps it from slipping or look for something the strap will catch on when cinched down..
The ctug does not do well if trying to go over a curb but does fine on ramps.
Saw a post a while back about putting the cart under the kayak while it is in the water so you do not have to lift it up.
I started doing that and works very well.

Re: Nube Kayak questions [Re: Rappcon] #13543365 05/03/20 04:17 AM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Rappcon

Back in the day my dad swore by ugly sticks. I'll pick two of those up. I wasn't even sure if they still made them.

I'm hard on rods and I've got four Ugly Stiks and I have had them for years, and haven't broken one yet!

Just one more cast!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide