Print Thread
Experience with bassyak motor kits? #13539531 04/29/20 09:18 PM
B
Bug-e Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Thinking about installing a trolling motor on my kayak to increase range, ease of covering water, etc. And for fun. Does anyone have experience with bassyak motor kits? Product looks solid and relatively easy to install, but that's just my impression based on internet forum posts and youtube. Would love to hear about your or your buddies experiences with bassyak. Thanks.

Re: Experience with bassyak motor kits? [Re: Bug-e] #13539901 04/30/20 03:04 AM
L
lurenthewind Offline
Angler
Angler
L
Not a Bass Yak, but a friend of mine put a side mount trolling motor on a Jackson Coosa and loves it. Cheap, effective, not nearly as snazzy as the bass Yak set up. Biggest headache with any trolling motor is the battery. If you could afford a Lithium battery it would simplify things a lot because of the weight and physical size. Problem is they are about $400-$500.

My friend trolls for stripers on Texoma a lot and loves the hands free fishing with the troller.

Wayne

Luck will beat skill any time you have enough of it!
Re: Experience with bassyak motor kits? [Re: Bug-e] #13540039 04/30/20 10:43 AM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I've been down this road. Whether you buy a trolling motor kit (Bass Yak, Island Hopper, Kevin Dismuke, etc.) or build your own the cost is about the same (assuming you're talking about a rear mounted TM). The big cost is the battery. You can get a Walmart battery that weighs 65 lbs and lug that around if you want but consider what weight does to a kayak. Even adding 20 lbs of extra weight makes a huge difference in the kayaks efficiency. Adding a 65 lb battery plus 20 lbs of trolling motor & mount could equal an overloaded kayak. You can go lithium but 100 ah lithium batteries start at about $700 plus the charger. By this point it's about the same cost and a lot less headache to get a Bixpy. Lightweight with equal or better performance than what you will get from a standard trolling motor.

Not trying to talk you out it just letting you know about the things I didn't think about and realize when I did my TM project.

You get out of it what you put into it!
Re: Experience with bassyak motor kits? [Re: lurenthewind] #13540155 04/30/20 01:08 PM
B
Bug-e Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted by lurenthewind
Not a Bass Yak, but a friend of mine put a side mount trolling motor on a Jackson Coosa and loves it. Cheap, effective, not nearly as snazzy as the bass Yak set up. Biggest headache with any trolling motor is the battery. If you could afford a Lithium battery it would simplify things a lot because of the weight and physical size. Problem is they are about $400-$500.

My friend trolls for stripers on Texoma a lot and loves the hands free fishing with the troller.

Wayne

Thanks

Re: Experience with bassyak motor kits? [Re: Jerry713] #13540164 04/30/20 01:11 PM
B
Bug-e Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted by Jerry713
I've been down this road. Whether you buy a trolling motor kit (Bass Yak, Island Hopper, Kevin Dismuke, etc.) or build your own the cost is about the same (assuming you're talking about a rear mounted TM). The big cost is the battery. You can get a Walmart battery that weighs 65 lbs and lug that around if you want but consider what weight does to a kayak. Even adding 20 lbs of extra weight makes a huge difference in the kayaks efficiency. Adding a 65 lb battery plus 20 lbs of trolling motor & mount could equal an overloaded kayak. You can go lithium but 100 ah lithium batteries start at about $700 plus the charger. By this point it's about the same cost and a lot less headache to get a Bixpy. Lightweight with equal or better performance than what you will get from a standard trolling motor.

Not trying to talk you out it just letting you know about the things I didn't think about and realize when I did my TM project.

Thanks. I appreciate the insight. Were you ultimately happy you added a TM?

Re: Experience with bassyak motor kits? [Re: Bug-e] #13540252 04/30/20 01:56 PM
B
Bug-e Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
After being on TFF for over ten years I finally figured out you can search within a specific forum. Just searched "trolling motor" within the TFF kayak forum and found a ton of useful information including more info from Jerry713. Good stuff. But in the end it seems whether or not to add a TM is really a very personal choice and that satisfaction with the addition of a TM will wax and wane over time. Like most things in life I guess. Sound about right to those of you who have added a TM?

Last edited by Bug-e; 04/30/20 02:06 PM.
Re: Experience with bassyak motor kits? [Re: Bug-e] #13540287 04/30/20 02:26 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by Bug-e
Originally Posted by Jerry713

Thanks. I appreciate the insight. Were you ultimately happy you added a TM?

It wasn't worth it for me. Carrying a heavy battery back and forth from the truck to the launch got old quick since the battery was too heavy to put in my kayak with the cheap cart I had. Also the kayak I had didn't have the weight capacity to hold the extra weight and the rear tank well would have about 2" of water in it the entire time.

I ended up getting pedal drive kayaks and love them. I enjoy the excersice. I have issues with an elbow and lower back issues so I can't enjoy paddling like I want to which is why I went the TM route to start with. If I ever went to an electric motor again it would be a Bixpy without question unless lithium batteries drop in price by about 70% lol.

You get out of it what you put into it!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide