S
S Fatherree Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by fivebites

Originally Posted by Stephen M Fatherree
Originally Posted by Josh1
Y’all got any tips for someone that’s trying to improve on fishing deep water. I always end up going shallow and beating the banks.

Learning how to interpret your 2D sonar on your marine electronics is key to making the most out of fishing offshore. I will not stop and fish any areas offshore where I do not see many baitfish and bass close to the bottom. Idle over large mainlake points, roadbeds, humps, and ledges in a zig zag fashion to get a good idea of the primary depth where most of the fish are located at and more specifically where active bass might be holding at. The best weather conditions for fishing offshore are generally during sunny and windy days. When you locate some fish, which will appear as an arch like shape on your 2D sonar, try a variety of lures through them for no more than 20 minutes before leaving for another area. Oftentimes and especially during early May to mid June when bass are beginning to school up offshore and are feeding quite heavily you will catch a bass within the first few casts. Make sure to try 3/4 oz Carolina rigs, football jigs, flutter spoons, deep diving crankbaits, and heavy top hook swimbaits before moving onto the next areas. As you begin to catch fish in deep water and also do not get any bites offshore you will continue to learn more about how the position of the fish on your sonar will indicate how willing they may be bite your lures. I like to start with bottom dragging lures like the Carolina rigs or football jigs first then move onto fishing swimbaits, spoons, and crankbaits as these lures can often times pull the schools of fish off of the bottom which will result in less fish being caught. Recheck areas throughout the day as schools of largemouth can often move onto a deep offshore area within minutes. One offshore structure may be completely empty early in the day then loaded with bass a few hours and sometimes even sooner. On sunny days without much wind a dropshot fished vertically with very little movement seems to be productive when other lures are not.

Check out the below video for more tips on deep water fishing and at :50 seconds you will see what a school of actively feeding largemouth look like on your 2D sonar screen, this is a great example of what you want to find before you begin to stop your boat and start fishing any offshore structure. I hope this helps, good luck fishing!

I'd like to hear some thoughts on fishing deep on the highland lakes here in Central Texas where the bluffs drop straight off into 50 feet or more on some of these places. Deep fishing out here befuddles me. I can graph the E and N Texas lakes with confidence. Out here, not so much.

On lakes with bluffs and rock bottoms you should also graph predominant points and channel swings in a zig zag pattern and really focus on locating places using your 2D sonar where balls of baitfish are present. Anytime you see that the baitfish are tightly grouped up, usually in a ball shape, that very much indicates they are being fed upon. At the same time when you see that the baitfish are spread out across a large area that is a good sign that they are not being fed upon very much. I largely rely on my Humminbird Side Imaging in addition to my traditional 2D sonar to see these ball shaped shadows. When searching for actively feeding bass in any fishery that will typically have a good deep water bite regardless of how quickly the depth changes occur, seeing the baitfish grouped up tightly is a great indication that there are hungry largemouth in the area actively feeding. Whenever I am on a body of water and plan to fish in deeper water I will pay close attention to my graph as I idle away from the boat ramp to see what depth the majority of the baitfish are located in and where they are not. This will sometimes change throughout the day especially before a thermocline has developed and be aware that the more water clarity you have the deeper the thermocline will be located at. After locating a thermocline I will almost always be fishing just above that depth, after locating the depth that has the most fish I will then primarily focus on that particular depth range across the entire lake. In lakes with rocky bottoms and steep bluffs I will change my lure selections to more finesse techniques using lighter line since the water is typically clearer compared to shallower reservoirs that have much more silt in the water. I will sometimes use lures that can be presented well above the fish since their ability to see much further in very clear water can draw them off of the bottom or out of submerged timber to your lure. Aside from using bottom bumping lures such as shaky heads, dropshots, or football jigs with a smaller profile I will also use jerkbaits, walking style topwater lures, and quickly retrieved double willow leaf spinnerbaits. When you can figure out the general depth which the fish are relating to and locate a bluff wall that looks to have some balled up baitfish I recommend making your casts parallel to that depth which seems to have the majority of fish rather than casting towards the bank and bringing your lure out towards deeper water as casting parallel will keep your lure in or just above the most productive depth for a much longer period during your retrieve. Learning how to interpret what you are seeing on your marine electronics is crucial to becoming a proficient deep water fisherman. Once you begin to master the technique of locating and catching deep offshore bass you may find it hard to return to fishing in the shallows. Fishing offshore in deep water is by far my favorite way to fish as my electronics do not lie, they show you exactly what is going on beneath you. I hope this helps, good luck!

Respectfully,

SM Fatherree
www.lakeforkguidelanes.com
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Fishing deep [Re: duffer] #13539544 04/29/20 09:28 PM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by duffer
Originally Posted by Ken A.
Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Hire a good guide that is excellent at fishing deep. Well worth the money.

+1

One day with a good guide will instill confidence in you that will help you for years. James Biggs is on here quite a bit. He will take you out on your lake & show you how to break it down. He is about as good as they come at finding fish in deep water with his electronics but don't tell him I said that. sarcastic

+2

James Biggs is a great teacher on all things fishing. You will not be disappointed with him!

Re: Fishing deep [Re: Bigbass93] #13539704 04/30/20 12:01 AM
S
stroker46 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Y’all got any tips for someone that’s trying to improve on fishing deep water. I always end up going shallow and beating the banks.

Now is a time fish can be very deep and they can be caught. They are deep because they have a food source and the THERMOCLINE does not restrict movement. Lakes in TX stratify very quickly in May and bass will move toward shallow water or to the top [summer] because OXYGEN depletion. JMHO

Re: Fishing deep [Re: Bigbass93] #13540326 04/30/20 02:47 PM
B
bassmanrudy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Nice video Stephen.

Re: Fishing deep [Re: bassmanrudy] #13540608 04/30/20 06:18 PM
S
S Fatherree Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by bassmanrudy
Nice video Stephen.

Thank you for the kind words sir! I very much appreciate it. If I am able to continue having success with my femoral nerve injections which have relieved my pain substantially I am planning on getting back into the professional fishing scene in 2021. If that is the case then I will once again be producing many more new bass fishing instructional YouTube Videos with the goal of helping other fellow bass anglers understand how to use particular lures with the best results in addition to some tips regarding the most productive techniques for catching bass on various bodies of water throughout the changing seasons, rigging techniques, sonar interpretation for offshore fishing success, tips for various water conditions and much more. Often times I will have other professional tournament anglers and top bass guides joining me. I will dive into easy to understand bass fishing related topics, and answering my viewers questions throughout the live stream. During my days on the water I'll be educating my viewers on exactly why I am using multiple lures and fishing various patterns throughout the entire video stream. In the meantime please feel free to contact me via email at s_fatherree@yahoo.com as I very seldom check my messages here on the Texas Fishing Forum. Cheers!

Respectfully,

SM Fatherree
www.lakeforkguidelanes.com
Re: Fishing deep [Re: Bigbass93] #13540813 04/30/20 09:17 PM
B
Bigbass93 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Would y’all rather start with a Carolina rig or drop shot?

Re: Fishing deep [Re: Bigbass93] #13540816 04/30/20 09:18 PM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

Dependent on the cover or structure you're fishing

Re: Fishing deep [Re: Bigbass93] #13540823 04/30/20 09:22 PM
James Biggs Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Carolina rig
I always try to catch them on the bigger rod & line if possible.

Re: Fishing deep [Re: Bigbass93] #13540837 04/30/20 09:41 PM
Greg W Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

If I have a rocky bottom will always go C-rig as it makes more noise dragging the rocks. I'f I'm pitching up into willows or against wood, going to use a drop shot or weighted wacky.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide