Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Galveston fishing #13538404 04/28/20 11:27 PM
Aggie34 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
I have lived close to Fort Worth my entire life and have done very limited bay fishing/offshore and almost all of it is out of port O’Connor. My wife and I are moving to Galveston and have a center console boat and a place on the water so my homework has started. Any help and pointers would be appreciated since I have no idea where to begin. Our place is in offatts bayou. The boat we have is a NAUTIC Star 231 coastal so on call days we plan on doing some offshore fishing. Most days will be spent in the bays. What bay should I start with just to get my roots started? What do I need to look for? I plan on using live bait as much as I can to help eliminate the play of wrong presentation or color etc of artificial. Once again any help goes a long way. Very experienced boater so I feel comfortable running bays and offshore in calm seas

[Linked Image]
Re: Galveston fishing [Re: Aggie34] #13543327 05/03/20 03:38 AM
skint back Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
I wish I was moving to Galveston!
Spent some time near San Luis pass surf fishing and enjoying the beach last year. Seemed to be several boats every day fishing in the pass there.

Going to stay a week or so in Jamaica Beach in mid July this year. Looking forward to it.

Fished a good bit in Port A and Corpus Bay. I would assume Galveston is similar. Any structure, or edge of a channel seemed to be a good spot. And you never can go wrong with live or cut bait.

Hope you catch a bunch!

Re: Galveston fishing [Re: Aggie34] #13545182 05/04/20 09:40 PM
Mp Rock Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I spent a bunch of time living and fishing in Galveston before moving up here to FW. West bay is shallow and the area from the causeway to Harborwalk is filled with shallow reefs, but navigable. West bay from Harborwalk to the pass is pretty open without many obstructions. The south shoreline, Galveston side, has endless coves good for wading and drifting and you can sometimes find some grass. The North shoreline on the bay side of the Intercoastal has good grass. Once you get down to the pass, SLOW DOWN! You will need to idle around and find the cuts and mark trails, then they will change again after a good storm. Also far west on the North shore is Chocolate Bay, which again has a lot of reef and need to just idle around until you got a good feel of it. West bay summer time is always tough for me, early and late are best bites. Midday I prefer East, or deeper water.

East bay and Trinity are much deeper with some random obstructions in the water and very few reefs sticking out. East Bay has all the deep reefs but will look like a parking lot on weekends during the summer time. Summer time slicks and birds are always a good indicator trout are nearby. Watch out for giant ship wakes heading East.

"South Bay", or the bay between causeway and the Texas City Dike also has some good fishing and is pretty open with little obstructions. Focus on north shore, Swan Lake, and rocks. Ship channel during the flounder run is epic.

Shrimp and a popping cork is a deadly combo, but right now through summer it is hard to beat that Croaker bite. I like a free-lined croaker on a 3/0 Kahle hook, small weight if needed. I also throw Down South Lures and topwaters.

Tidal movements and moon phases are key to getting good bites. Look up Trout Support, Tobin has some pretty awesome videos about breaking down the bays. He also spent like 2 years using side scan to find all the reefs in East, West, and Trinity. You get a chip to put in your unit that circles all reefs in the bay. Send me a PM if you would like to discuss more.

Re: Galveston fishing [Re: Aggie34] #13545195 05/04/20 09:45 PM
Mp Rock Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Forgot to mention Offats where you are living. This is the deepest part of West Bay and should hold some awesome fishing. I have never been able to put together a bite out of Offats, unless there were birds working. Coming out of Offats into West Bay is tricky if you do not stay in the channel. Stay in the Channel and you'll be fine. Also, starting now through Labor Day there is an awesome sand bar party spot on the weekends. Just look for all the boats. [Linked Image]

Re: Galveston fishing [Re: Aggie34] #13545407 05/05/20 12:50 AM
Aggie34 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Wow that’s about the best help I could ask for. And I really appreciate it. I’ve got a lot of learning to do but am stoked to get to it. Most of the fishing I’ve done in port O’Connor we use jigs with deadly Dudley or drop some live bait mostly on the jetties. I can’t even think of a time I have throw a popping cork so that will be new as well. I will definitely pay attention to where to idle until I get to knowing where I can run. Thanks again I will definitely be messaging you once I get moved down there and have more questions come up.

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide