Print Thread
Porpoising Triton #13536037 04/27/20 02:43 PM
R
R.J.E. Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
R
I'm having problems with my Triton TRX 19 porpoising, having some Stratos boats in the past and never having a problem such as this, I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem and if so what can be done to remedy this problem. It;s fine when I run wide open but with the wife in the boat that is not an option. Thanks for your time.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Porpoising Triton [Re: R.J.E.] #13536047 04/27/20 02:52 PM
4Weight Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
I drive my TR186 35-40 top end. Just no need to go faster. Mine will do that if I trim up too much. Try trimming down more when going slower. As I trim up, I look to my right to see where my wake is. As I trim up, my boat runs great as it moves just slightly behind me from bow to stern if that makes sense. As it smooths out my RPM's and speed match say 35 mph at 3500 RPM's. I do not have a jack plate either.

PM me if that does not make sense but it works for me.

Aztec Anglers San Juan River Guide Service
www.aztecanglers.com
Re: Porpoising Triton [Re: R.J.E.] #13536050 04/27/20 02:55 PM
B
BJH ( JUST JIGGING) Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
At slower speeds you need to use your trim switch to adjust the boat so it will not porpous, Porpoising is caused from trying to raise the nose of the boat too highfor the speed it is running. .

I would agree with you , but then we would both be WRONG !!!!!
Re: Porpoising Triton [Re: R.J.E.] #13536081 04/27/20 03:11 PM
B
BASS GURU Offline
Angler
Angler
B
^^^^^This. I've owned the same boat. Trim it down a little.

Re: Porpoising Triton [Re: R.J.E.] #13536260 04/27/20 04:50 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
We'll never be able to tell you exactly what's "wrong" because we can't see your boat run or feel what it's doing for sure. While you probably are trimming too much, that would say that you may not quite understand trim or what to look for in the "feel" of how the boat is running. Some get it more naturally, while others need a little consulting with someone who's an expert at driving boats.

Assuming the boat isn't set up wrong, for a given power setting, the hull will lift as you trim, but reach a point where there isn't enough thrust to lift the hull any higher. You're failing to notice the clues that tell you that point has been reached, so you keep trimming, which will lift to a point that can't be sustained, so the hull falls, and the cycle repeats over and over. A good "check ride" with an accomplished performance boater may be a good move to make if you know someone who can spend an hour on the water with you. They'll feel (and even hear) what you need to feel/hear, and be able to point it out to you. Then, in the future, you can stop just short of the over-trim condition.

Last edited by Flippin-Out; 04/27/20 04:51 PM.
Re: Porpoising Triton [Re: Flippin-Out] #13536383 04/27/20 06:00 PM
R
R.J.E. Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
R
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
We'll never be able to tell you exactly what's "wrong" because we can't see your boat run or feel what it's doing for sure. While you probably are trimming too much, that would say that you may not quite understand trim or what to look for in the "feel" of how the boat is running. Some get it more naturally, while others need a little consulting with someone who's an expert at driving boats.

Assuming the boat isn't set up wrong, for a given power setting, the hull will lift as you trim, but reach a point where there isn't enough thrust to lift the hull any higher. You're failing to notice the clues that tell you that point has been reached, so you keep trimming, which will lift to a point that can't be sustained, so the hull falls, and the cycle repeats over and over. A good "check ride" with an accomplished performance boater may be a good move to make if you know someone who can spend an hour on the water with you. They'll feel (and even hear) what you need to feel/hear, and be able to point it out to you. Then, in the future, you can stop just short of the over-trim condition.

This is my ninth bass boat and this is the first boat that I've had that's been this bad, yesterday the lake was rough and I had the trim all the way down and it was still porpoising. Think I'll try moving some weight around to see if that help's, thanks .

Re: Porpoising Triton [Re: R.J.E.] #13536411 04/27/20 06:15 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
ALL the way down will definitely lend itself to make the hull porpoise. As you realize, a hull design produces lift to raise the boat as speed increases. At the same time, a down trim on the outboard causes the stern to be lifted, shifing the center of gravity forward, which forces the nose down. So, you must likely made the situation WORSE because you pitted the engine's thrust against the hull's lift. The resulting battle of forces is hull lifts, then engine pushes it back down, over and over. You'll have the best chance of no porpoising when the prop shaft is parallel to the surface of the water. There is a trim sweet spot that moves as speed changes for any given load distribution in the boat.

I have seen 2 boats that had horrendous porpoising simply due to bad rigging, one of which I owned. An idiot dealer mounted an engine far too low on the transom. I learned this when I talked to the manufacturer. They were confident that was the issue, and it was. I moved the engine up 2 or 3 inches and it ran like an entirely different boat. I'm not familiar with your hull, but maybe someone can provide a best engine height setting (propshaft to pad distance) for you to check. An improperly mounted engine can cause handling issues, and you should at least consider checking for that.

Last edited by Flippin-Out; 04/27/20 06:16 PM.
Re: Porpoising Triton [Re: Flippin-Out] #13536719 04/27/20 10:00 PM
R
R.J.E. Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
R
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
ALL the way down will definitely lend itself to make the hull porpoise. As you realize, a hull design produces lift to raise the boat as speed increases. At the same time, a down trim on the outboard causes the stern to be lifted, shifing the center of gravity forward, which forces the nose down. So, you must likely made the situation WORSE because you pitted the engine's thrust against the hull's lift. The resulting battle of forces is hull lifts, then engine pushes it back down, over and over. You'll have the best chance of no porpoising when the prop shaft is parallel to the surface of the water. There is a trim sweet spot that moves as speed changes for any given load distribution in the boat.

I have seen 2 boats that had horrendous porpoising simply due to bad rigging, one of which I owned. An idiot dealer mounted an engine far too low on the transom. I learned this when I talked to the manufacturer. They were confident that was the issue, and it was. I moved the engine up 2 or 3 inches and it ran like an entirely different boat. I'm not familiar with your hull, but maybe someone can provide a best engine height setting (propshaft to pad distance) for you to check. An improperly mounted engine can cause handling issues, and you should at least consider checking for that.

I appreciate it, thanks.

Re: Porpoising Triton [Re: BJH ( JUST JIGGING)] #13537078 04/28/20 02:58 AM
B
BigVes Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted by BJH ( JUST JIGGING)
At slower speeds you need to use your trim switch to adjust the boat so it will not porpous, Porpoising is caused from trying to raise the nose of the boat too highfor the speed it is running. .

Correct

Adam Vesely

IG @AdamVeselyFishing
www.greatstatestorage.com
www.dobynsrods.com
www.gfunkbaits.com
PB 10.94lbs Lake Ray Hubbard 4.7.19
Re: Porpoising Triton [Re: R.J.E.] #13537169 04/28/20 07:39 AM
Larry Mosby Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Trim her down!