Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lowrance ethernet cable question #13533006 04/24/20 06:19 PM
fivebites Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Having issues getting my HDS12 to read the transducer. I believe it's set up properly and have been "advised" by the well known company that hooked all my stuff up that it could be a bad ethernet cable. Looking on Amazon there is the gray one (like I have now) called the Lowrance ethernet and a black one called the Lowrance ethernet crossover cable. What's the difference? Other than $30...of course. I guess I should change my handle from Fivebites to fishing numbskull.

2019 Chevy Tahoe
2018 Basscat Eyra 250 Proxs
PB Wife of 32 years!
PB Largemouth 9.56 Ray Roberts
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Lowrance ethernet cable question [Re: fivebites] #13533216 04/24/20 08:58 PM
David Welcher Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
I realized you had issues when you stated the first word of your sentence. Lowrance ! LOL

wassup five bites? Those Roberts bass are just gettin fired up. When you coming up? [Linked Image]

Last edited by David Welcher; 04/24/20 09:00 PM.
Re: Lowrance ethernet cable question [Re: David Welcher] #13533324 04/24/20 10:30 PM
fivebites Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by David Welcher
I realized you had issues when you stated the first word of your sentence. Lowrance ! LOL

wassup five bites? Those Roberts bass are just gettin fired up. When you coming up? [Linked Image]

bwaa haa ha...hater! I may be up next week for a day or two for work. Nice looking fish brother! Water looks really dirty. Dirty or just stained?

2019 Chevy Tahoe
PB Wife of 32 years!
Re: Lowrance ethernet cable question [Re: fivebites] #13533326 04/24/20 10:31 PM
David Welcher Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Stained

Re: Lowrance ethernet cable question [Re: fivebites] #13533343 04/24/20 10:45 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
You want the grey Ethernet cable. It is somewhat known that the Ethernet cables deteriorate kinda quickly.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Lowrance ethernet cable question [Re: fivebites] #13533358 04/24/20 10:53 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by fivebites
Having issues getting my HDS12 to read the transducer. I believe it's set up properly and have been "advised" by the well known company that hooked all my stuff up that it could be a bad ethernet cable. Looking on Amazon there is the gray one (like I have now) called the Lowrance ethernet and a black one called the Lowrance ethernet crossover cable. What's the difference? Other than $30...of course. I guess I should change my handle from Fivebites to fishing numbskull.

Which transducer can't you "read"? 200kHz, or StructureScan? If you are using an HDS12, are you using the internal StructureScan? ...and is the StructureScan transducer connected direct to the HDS12, or do you have a StructureScan "box"? I ask because there are many configurations in which the Ethernet cable has nothing to do with reading sonar. With the limited info, I can't jump to "it's the Ethernet cable" just yet.... and I'm fairly good at diagnosing issues.

Has this ever worked? If it hasn't, maybe the issue is with the "well-known company that advised you" (and I have no idea who that is, so not a stab in any particular direction).

Re: Lowrance ethernet cable question [Re: Flippin-Out] #13533388 04/24/20 11:22 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out

Has this ever worked? If it hasn't, maybe the issue is with the "well-known company that advised you" (and I have no idea who that is, so not a stab in any particular direction).

Lord have mercy, it sure does make a person scratch their head, doesn’t it????

Re: Lowrance ethernet cable question [Re: Flippin-Out] #13533510 04/25/20 01:02 AM
fivebites Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler

Which transducer can't you "read"? 200kHz, or StructureScan? If you are using an HDS12, are you using the internal StructureScan? ...and is the StructureScan transducer connected direct to the HDS12, or do you have a StructureScan "box"? I ask because there are many configurations in which the Ethernet cable has nothing to do with reading sonar. With the limited info, I can't jump to "it's the Ethernet cable" just yet.... and I'm fairly good at diagnosing issues.

I really didn't want to go that direction but I get the feeling that's the issue. Ordered the gray one today. Get it in about a week. We'll see. To answer some of your questions it won't pick up any transducer. I have three units on the boat. 2 HDS9's and the HDS12. All linked together. The console HDS9 is the "mother unit" for a lack of better terminology. The other 9 works off the trolling motor transducer. The 12 picks up all the waypoints fine from both units. It just can't find or recognize the transducer it shares with the one it's supposed to. The "company" has tried to fix it twice, but with no success. They're in Dallas and I'm in Austin so taking it back again is a waste of time and money. They have told me it needs to updated, but from what i've read that probably won't solve the issue and seems to create more problems than it solves. Frustrated!

2019 Chevy Tahoe
PB Wife of 32 years!
Re: Lowrance ethernet cable question [Re: fivebites] #13533600 04/25/20 02:17 AM
G
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Five, you want the sonar to share? Have you turned the “network sonar” option to ON?

Re: Lowrance ethernet cable question [Re: fivebites] #13533768 04/25/20 06:28 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
The proper term for that primary HDS 9 at the console would be "Master Unit.") You apparently have transducers connected to the Master Unit but none on the HDS 12? As Grout-Scout says, you need the "network sonar" option setting set to "ON" for that HDS 9. This tells the unit to broadcast the sonar data onto the Ethernet network, which you probably aren't doing. This is why you'd have no sonar data displayed on those other units. On the Master HDS 9 I bet you see sonar data - the Sonar setting for "Source" is correctly set at "This Unit". On the HDS 12, the Sonar setting for Source should be "Network" but it isn't. Here is where the coin toss comes in on why your system isn't doing what you wish it was doing.

1) Network Sonar setting on Master HDS 9 = OFF when it must be ON, or...
2) HDS 12 sonar source is set to "this unit" (instead of "network"), resulting in no sonar display since there is no transducer connected to the HDS 12.

When it starts working, you can keep the cable that's coming as a spare.

Re: Lowrance ethernet cable question [Re: fivebites] #13533927 04/25/20 01:42 PM
fivebites Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Thanks Grout and Flippin! If that's the case then I'm really P.O.'d at the installer! I'll get out in the garage and test it out today. If it's working correctly even if it doesn't show the bottom being in the garage it should read the temperature. Headed out for the day tomorrow and it would be nice to have the side and down scan working on the bigger unit for sure. Thanks again. By the way, just so I'm clear, this had NOTHING to do with updates of the HDS12 correct?

Last edited by fivebites; 04/25/20 01:43 PM.

2019 Chevy Tahoe
PB Wife of 32 years!
Re: Lowrance ethernet cable question [Re: fivebites] #13535346 04/26/20 07:52 PM
04champ Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
A bad ethernet cable does seem like a good possibility, but you definitely need to make sure you're set up for networked sonar as said above. I'm pretty sure mine is bad, I lose connection from my bow to console intermittently and wiggling the cable sometimes fixes it. I think I bent the cable too sharply near the connector, I need to drill a new hole in my DekIt mount so the cable comes straight up to the connector on the unit.

Re: Lowrance ethernet cable question [Re: fivebites] #13535358 04/26/20 08:25 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Thanks Grout and Flippin! If that's the case then I'm really P.O.'d at the installer! I'll get out in the garage and test it out today. If it's working correctly even if it doesn't show the bottom being in the garage it should read the temperature. Headed out for the day tomorrow and it would be nice to have the side and down scan working on the bigger unit for sure. Thanks again. By the way, just so I'm clear, this had NOTHING to do with updates of the HDS12 correct?

I have not looked at HDS12 updates lately. I have my own boat in my OR for update of electronics and batteries. I was going to do an update on mine right before it goes back to the water.

As for temperature, you need to make sure THAT is configured correctly also. I can't tell you the number of times I've encountered people who were reading the temperature from a source other than what they wanted. Got a 200 kHz transducer in your bilge? Be sure you aren't reading temperature from that, for instance. I have a temp probe mounted under the hull step at the transom, read via NMEA 2000, so I had to be sure to set up THAT source to get what I wanted.

Re: Lowrance ethernet cable question [Re: Flippin-Out] #13535621 04/27/20 02:05 AM
fivebites Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler

I have not looked at HDS12 updates lately. I have my own boat in my OR for update of electronics and batteries. I was going to do an update on mine right before it goes back to the water.

As for temperature, you need to make sure THAT is configured correctly also. I can't tell you the number of times I've encountered people who were reading the temperature from a source other than what they wanted. Got a 200 kHz transducer in your bilge? Be sure you aren't reading temperature from that, for instance. I have a temp probe mounted under the hull step at the transom, read via NMEA 2000, so I had to be sure to set up THAT source to get what I wanted.

Lo and behold I got it going without a new cable! Imagine that. Thanks guys!! What a dumbarse that hooked this [censored] up. I paid them and had to drive it back up to
Dallas a 2nd time and he still f'd it up. So simple. Both temp and sonar now working. However, the 12 will only read when the "master" unit is on. Otherwise it doesn't see the bottom or give temp. Whattya say boys?

2019 Chevy Tahoe
PB Wife of 32 years!
Re: Lowrance ethernet cable question [Re: fivebites] #13535738 04/27/20 04:07 AM
G
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Yeah, the master unit has to be ON for transducer sharing to work. Standby will stop sonar too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide