Print Thread
Weird Weather and Lake Bastrop #13534668 04/26/20 02:46 AM
R
Rayzor Online Content OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
R
It has been an interesting last 24 hours. We had made plans to fish Lake Bastrop today for the 1st time since they closed on 3/23/2020. Having looked at the weather forecast, it was slated to be sunny all day, a high of about 80 degrees with 5 -10 mph winds. I hooked my Jeep up to the boat Friday afternoon to give myself less to do Saturday morning. At about 9:00pm, one of those wild TV weather alerts came on. There was a bad weather cell with rain and hail headed our way! What?!?!? Where in blue blazes did this come from? I went back outside, detached my Jeep and put it in the garage. Since I had a 4:30am alarm set, I went on to bed. All's good. BTW - we got a little rain and no hail. Good!

Woke up Saturday morning, hooked my Jeep up to the boat again, and started loading it up. My Wife is a redhead and gets really hot in elevated temperatures. I loaded up her Mantis super-duper chair umbrella and made sure the boat's ice chest was packed with drinks and ice. We never needed the umbrella or any of the packed-away water.

When we got to Bastrop, the office was closed. Hmm. The parking lot was about 75% full. I would say that only about 25% of the people were wearing masks. The sun was gone. The wind was kicking at around 15mph. Fortunately, here didn't seem to really be that many boats on the water.

My Wife always uses the bathroom before we get on the lake. The bathrooms were closed. I have no idea why. They had 3 port-a-lets over by the kayak launch. If your Wife is anything like mine, you know this did not make her happy. There was no place to wash your hands. BAD. Instead of port-a-lets, there should have been a separate men's and women's bathroom trailer. Hell, I don't even like port-a-lets. I asked an older gentleman with an LCRA badge where we could wash out hands. He didn't know.

I don't know what happened to the sun and blue skies but rarely did we see it. The wind blew at probably 25mph most of the day. At around 12:30am, we saw some bad weather coming from the west. It started sprinkling. Where in blue blazes did this come from?!?!? There was a 20% chance of rain today. When we saw lightening, we went back to the ramp, tied off our boat and waited out the slight rain for about 30 minutes. Numerous boats did the same thing. The ramp had a real traffic jam. The sun briefly came out for about 30 minutes. We continued fishing until about 4:00pm.

On our way back home, we ran into more rain. At least we had a very good fishing day.

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Re: Weird Weather and Lake Bastrop [Re: Rayzor] #13534868 04/26/20 11:33 AM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Some of those storms had marble size hail. I know, I ran into them.
One thing I've learned about weather people predicting in the spring time, is you are better off not believing everything they say, and always keep an eye to the sky.
Those storms come fast and fierce.

Just one more cast!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide