Page 1 of 2 1 2
Purpose of Fishing #13529417 04/22/20 02:22 PM
M
mickeytfc Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
M
I was listening to Mark Kurlansky’s interview on the MeatEater podcast in relation to their wonderings about the logic of catch and release fishing. He said that the purpose of fishing is to catch a fish (or at least to put yourself in the best position to catch a fish). Not to disagree with him, it was just a random point they were making but it got me to thinking.

I say that the purpose of fishing is to relish in the fishes existence, and mine in relation to the fish, loving the fish and all that is involved in the awe of and stewardship of the fishes natural world.

Therefore, catch and release fishing does make sense according my purpose.

So I'm going to go catch some more, keep some more, and release some more to make some more!

Last edited by mickeytfc; 04/22/20 02:23 PM.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. Henry David Thoreau
Re: Purpose of Fishing [Re: mickeytfc] #13529451 04/22/20 02:37 PM
C
COFF Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
I'd say my purpose of fishing has very little to do with the catching of fish. If I catch something that is sort of a victory, and if I catch something I choose to eat it is a bonus. But for me the pursuit is the purpose.

Re: Purpose of Fishing [Re: mickeytfc] #13529455 04/22/20 02:39 PM
P
PKfishin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
Fish Taco's

John 21:3 Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee.
Re: Purpose of Fishing [Re: mickeytfc] #13529514 04/22/20 03:03 PM
herbsteiner Offline
Angler
Angler
I see catch and release sport fishing as being akin to target shooting... paper, silhouettes, whatever. Also those whose hunting trips now involve a camera instead of a deer rifle. Man versus his shortcomings to realize a higher level of skill without the requirement of taking a life needlessly. It also allows the participant to get his/her head out of the troubles of daily life and to focus solely on the activity of the moment. When I was a working man, I set goals for myself in my career. Now that I'm retired and live so close to Lake Travis, my goal is to haul a DD out of my new home lake, a personal best for this particular body of water.

Re: Purpose of Fishing [Re: herbsteiner] #13529786 04/22/20 04:38 PM
ReelSlow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by herbsteiner
I see catch and release sport fishing as being akin to target shooting... paper, silhouettes, whatever. Also those whose hunting trips now involve a camera instead of a deer rifle. Man versus his shortcomings to realize a higher level of skill without the requirement of taking a life needlessly. It also allows the participant to get his/her head out of the troubles of daily life and to focus solely on the activity of the moment. When I was a working man, I set goals for myself in my career. Now that I'm retired and live so close to Lake Travis, my goal is to haul a DD out of my new home lake, a personal best for this particular body of water.

Agree for the most part. However , I kill deer, dove, turkey, and eat the meat. No different than someone else killing a pig, chicken, or cow for me. Vegetarians and animal rights activists usually would not hesitate to set a mouse trap. They also have no problem with the farmer that grows their food that hundreds of acres had to be cleared of wildlife habitat to create fields for crops.

"And there came a voice to him; "Rise, Peter; kill and eat," -Acts 10:13

GOD is good!
Re: Purpose of Fishing [Re: mickeytfc] #13529878 04/22/20 05:25 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
For me it is to clear my mind of all the garbage and just observe.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Purpose of Fishing [Re: ReelSlow] #13529953 04/22/20 05:57 PM
T
Txduckhunter Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by ReelSlow

Agree for the most part. However , I kill deer, dove, turkey, and eat the meat. No different than someone else killing a pig, chicken, or cow for me. Vegetarians and animal rights activists usually would not hesitate to set a mouse trap. They also have no problem with the farmer that grows their food that hundreds of acres had to be cleared of wildlife habitat to create fields for crops.

I don't believe the man was criticizing hunting, simply making a contrasting comparison. I shoot targets to sharpen my shooting skills, I hunt to kill whatever I am hunting - see? Fishing offers the best of both worlds. (although, I believe fishing sucks, catching is where it is at.)

Re: Purpose of Fishing [Re: mickeytfc] #13530023 04/22/20 06:29 PM
O
Osbornfishing Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
I just finished my red snapper lunch, so it would be difficult for me to argue that I always release fish lol. I could write a book on the reasons I fish. My reason for fishing changes often. Sometimes I am after food, sometimes I am after records, sometimes I am doing research, and sometimes I just need to get away and enjoy God’s creation.

Re: Purpose of Fishing [Re: mickeytfc] #13530099 04/22/20 07:18 PM
P
plk1122 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Fishing for me varies, sometimes trips our to take home something, sometimes not. The main thing that is consistent...I like being out on the water away from everything.

I have wondered what hunting would be like if you could "kill" deer with out killing them, like using a tranquillizer bullet/arrow. How many people would do that for fun? I don't know of any people that hunt deer just for the meat (most hunt for the thrill/antlers despite what they say), if you add up all your cost, I think majority of cases, its cheaper to buy meat at the store (similar to fishing).

Re: Purpose of Fishing [Re: mickeytfc] #13530134 04/22/20 07:51 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
As for me I always release the bigger fish. They are the ones that hold a gene pool to produce other bigger fish. I do keep some fish every now and then for the dinner table. Most of the time I release em. thumb

Side Note: I have no problems with anyone who keeps a fish as long as it is caught legal and is a legal fish to keep! coolio

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Purpose of Fishing [Re: Txduckhunter] #13530470 04/22/20 11:02 PM
ReelSlow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Txduckhunter
Originally Posted by ReelSlow

I don't believe the man was criticizing hunting, simply making a contrasting comparison. I shoot targets to sharpen my shooting skills, I hunt to kill whatever I am hunting - see? Fishing offers the best of both worlds. (although, I believe fishing sucks, catching is where it is at.)

My apologies. I should not have been sensitive to what was said. I do hunt for the challenge, the meat is a nice bonus.

Last edited by ReelSlow; 04/22/20 11:03 PM.

GOD is good!
Re: Purpose of Fishing [Re: mickeytfc] #13530789 04/23/20 02:48 AM
G
Go-N-Slow Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
I do it for the BITE....thier bite on my hook and my bite into them after the fry.....never more than I will clean and eat that day or next morning...and yes I release the bigger blackies....why do vegetarians hate plants so much?

Last edited by Go-N-Slow; 04/23/20 02:52 AM.

Camper Van Man Seek Progress Not Perfection....
Re: Purpose of Fishing [Re: mickeytfc] #13537168 04/28/20 07:33 AM
Larry Mosby Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I do it for the love of outdoors, quality family time, substance and pure enjoyment. I hunt lunkers for the challenge and thrill of it!

Larry Mosby
Re: Purpose of Fishing [Re: mickeytfc] #13537378 04/28/20 12:58 PM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
I love the boat ride, since I was 5 years old I can't wait ..... fish

Re: Purpose of Fishing [Re: mickeytfc] #13537580 04/28/20 02:37 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Clears the mind, especially when you feel the tug on the line!
It never matters what method you use either, it's still a thrill to land a fish.

Just one more cast!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide