Print Thread
Bass not biting during cold front #13516299 04/13/20 07:59 PM
T
The_Asian_Fisherman Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
Hey, so I was fishing at a lake behind my house and saw around 20 bass and none of them wanted to eat, idk if it’s just bad luck or if the cold front is really impacting their feeding behavior. Usually they eat whatever I throw at them. Any guesses to what happened?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Bass not biting during cold front [Re: The_Asian_Fisherman] #13516334 04/13/20 08:25 PM
B
BrandoA Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
Cold front. When temps drop at these extreme all fishing gets tough.

Re: Bass not biting during cold front [Re: The_Asian_Fisherman] #13516806 04/14/20 02:29 AM
J
Jawz Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Slow down....and when you ask yourself if you're going slow enough.....go even slower

Fishing is Like Breathing...I was born To Do it
Re: Bass not biting during cold front [Re: The_Asian_Fisherman] #13516833 04/14/20 02:56 AM
Y
Ynot Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
Welcome The_Asian_Fisherman to TFF
During a cold front bass usually become lethargic, and less willing bite.

"Fair Winds and Following Seas"
Re: Bass not biting during cold front [Re: The_Asian_Fisherman] #13516865 04/14/20 03:43 AM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Thank very small Weenie Worms that float. Very small Shaky Head; so the worm will stand up and keep moving around while at rest. Just let it set there. One will take it.

Second; would be a Sassy Shad for a moving bait to see if they will take a small one at 2.5 inches with open hook out the back.
welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Donald Harper; 04/14/20 03:44 AM.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Bass not biting during cold front [Re: The_Asian_Fisherman] #13516883 04/14/20 04:09 AM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I fished thru the the cold front last week, not the one saturday pm. the day before the storm hit I did only get smaller bites, and lots of tail bites so I had to change baits to get them in the boat... the day of the storm was pretty good with a mix of small fish and good ones, the day after i started thinking it would be small fish only and that is where i started and what i was catching after about the 10th on 14 casts or less I thought hey I need to try for some larger one, then when the sun came out i went to the bank as that water would warm fastest between the grass and shore and had a great day 5-6 lb fish in 2-3 feet of water until I was tired.

I kinda told myself after that maybe the cold fronts effect us more than the fish..

Ive fished in almost all the rain storms except this last one and when there is a lull in the storm they seem to chomp if your in a decent area. When I say chomp i mean fish on each cast of whatever class size is around, can be all 3lb or all 6 lb and it shuts off as fast as it starts. with live scope you can see when they arent all around ya anymore and move and try and find where they went, that part I havent figured out yet..

Last edited by Jeff From Iowa; 04/14/20 04:11 AM.
Re: Bass not biting during cold front [Re: The_Asian_Fisherman] #13517127 04/14/20 01:27 PM
ReelSlow Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
welcome to TFF cheers

GOD is good!
Re: Bass not biting during cold front [Re: The_Asian_Fisherman] #13517706 04/14/20 06:59 PM
C
Captain Break-Off Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Remember this, you could see those bass but they could see you too

Re: Bass not biting during cold front [Re: Captain Break-Off] #13518095 04/14/20 11:27 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by Captain Break-Off
Remember this, you could see those bass but they could see you too

that was my first thought. for the most part in the two clearer lakes Im fishing in e tex Im catch bass at the end of casts, once I see them its a no go....

Re: Bass not biting during cold front [Re: Jeff From Iowa] #13518129 04/14/20 11:46 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa
I fished thru the the cold front last week, not the one saturday pm. the day before the storm hit I did only get smaller bites, and lots of tail bites so I had to change baits to get them in the boat... the day of the storm was pretty good with a mix of small fish and good ones, the day after i started thinking it would be small fish only and that is where i started and what i was catching after about the 10th on 14 casts or less I thought hey I need to try for some larger one, then when the sun came out i went to the bank as that water would warm fastest between the grass and shore and had a great day 5-6 lb fish in 2-3 feet of water until I was tired.

I kinda told myself after that maybe the cold fronts effect us more than the fish..

Ive fished in almost all the rain storms except this last one and when there is a lull in the storm they seem to chomp if your in a decent area. When I say chomp i mean fish on each cast of whatever class size is around, can be all 3lb or all 6 lb and it shuts off as fast as it starts. with live scope you can see when they arent all around ya anymore and move and try and find where they went, that part I havent figured out yet..

Hay Jeff:
What was the color that you were using during that bad weather? You know I am partial to Orange; especially the blade. Even in small bodies of water the Orange blade on a beetle spin has been a great producer.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Bass not biting during cold front [Re: Donald Harper] #13518288 04/15/20 01:38 AM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by Donald Harper

Hay Jeff:
What was the color that you were using during that bad weather? You know I am partial to Orange; especially the blade. Even in small bodies of water the Orange blade on a beetle spin has been a great producer.

my boat is full of black and green pumpkin mostly... I threw green pumpkin on the bank for big fish and when i neared a new one day record for my boat I put on a black trick worm shakey head and hit a very small gravel road bed spot I knew about all surrounded by grass and stuck 8 more smalls for a total of 37, a new record for my current boat...

Ive bought some watermelon red as well as tomato and grape for some specific areas which are easily identified by anyone in the know of tx lakes...

wat red east tx and all of tx
tomato fork
grape falcon

Green pumpkin has worked better for me at all of those, but its likely cus I have confidence in it and toss it longer.

Re: Bass not biting during cold front [Re: Donald Harper] #13518295 04/15/20 01:43 AM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by Donald Harper

Hay Jeff:

Ive thrown a spinner bait about 20 casts since feb 3, one w a orange colorado small blade and copper willow blade has been bit 3-5 times on nacogdoches which is very stained... I fish too much, my arms are shot, I have to get steroid shots every few months and wear arm bands, so I try and fish plastics and slow stuff.. i have all the rods rigged w deep crank etc. but as soon as i catch a fish on any of that stuff I try a plastic out of necessity for longetivity.

Re: Bass not biting during cold front [Re: The_Asian_Fisherman] #13518315 04/15/20 02:02 AM
K
krthomas2 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
Welcome

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide