Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
No backlash bait casters #13470502 03/13/20 07:15 PM
603Country Online Content OP
Pro Angler
OP Online Content
Pro Angler
For many years and decades I have mostly fished with spinning reels and spin cast reels. Last year I decided to get more involved with using bait casting reels. The first reel I got 10 years ago (fairly expensive, and I forget the name) was tough to use and backlashed more than I liked. The most recent one, a Diawa Fuego CT, is a nice smooth little reel that rarely backlashes, and it wasn’t expensive. Soooo, I want one more bait caster, and wonder what’s offered from the reel makers that might even be better about not backlashing and not cost a fortune.

Any suggestions?

Re: No backlash bait casters [Re: 603Country] #13470706 03/13/20 10:11 PM
B
Bdpeelgren Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
My personal favorite is the Daiwa Tatula SV.
Some would say Shimano’s DC reels. But I think they’re overrated. They’re really good for making bomb casts but if you’re fishing targets like structure, etc. then they don’t out perform any other reel.

Re: No backlash bait casters [Re: 603Country] #13470817 03/13/20 11:43 PM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Ditto on the Tatula SV's.

Re: No backlash bait casters [Re: tmd11111] #13471796 03/14/20 11:30 PM
ToadThrower Offline
Angler
Angler
I have a couple of the Shimano SLX DC reels...($190) and I really like them, they do limit backlash especially when you get them set up correctly...I fish frequently at night and they make it so much easier ....I dont have any experience with the Tatula reels..but have heard good things about them as well...

Re: No backlash bait casters [Re: tmd11111] #13475186 03/17/20 02:32 PM
J
JohnF67 Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Originally Posted by tmd11111
Ditto on the Tatula SV's.

x3

Last edited by JohnF67; 03/17/20 02:34 PM.
Re: No backlash bait casters [Re: 603Country] #13478721 03/19/20 07:08 PM
R
rcjoutdoors Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
As others have said the Tatula SV is money

80% off of SA Face Shields
Coupon Code: RCTFF80
Re: No backlash bait casters [Re: 603Country] #13479255 03/20/20 12:47 AM
603Country Online Content OP
Pro Angler
OP Online Content
Pro Angler
Looks lIke I need a Tatula. So that’s what I’ll buy. Thanks for the feedback.

Re: No backlash bait casters [Re: 603Country] #13512496 04/11/20 12:47 AM
L
lurenthewind Offline
Angler
Angler
L
All I can say about the Tatula SV is WOW! I bought two of them used from a guy on this site. Have no real idea how old they are, but I have little to no experience throwing bait casters. I won't say that I have never gotten a backlash, but you have to screw up really bad to bird nest them. I chunked it once with the braid wrapped around the end of the rod--that'll get you a bird nest! blush

Since the Covid shutdown, I am not leaving the house because my wife is one of the highly at risk people and I can't afford to bring the virus home, I have been practice casting in my yard every day just to have something to do.

I have a bucket set about 60 feet from where I sit to throw. I don't hit the bucket a lot, but I am all around it every time I throw. I am also finding out that accuracy depends more on the rod than the reel. I am mostly using a St. Croix Avid MH Fast with braid that was on the reel when I bought it and have no idea what it is and a 3/8 oz. lead weight. With the same rod in a M Fast with mono that was on the reel when I bought it and have no idea what it is, same 3/8 oz lead weight, I am not as accurate. Both the rods were also bought used and both really feel great. I just like the MH best.

I have since bought a 2020 Tatula SV new and have ordered a Dobyns 734 H Fast during the 40% off sale. Don't have it yet so the jury is still out on that one.

These reels truly are backlash resistant. I can set the magnetic brake on 4 or 5, set the spool tension correctly based on the weight, and never touch my thumb to the spool after I cast and the reel will not over run unless I really throw it hard. With the magnetic brake on 2 or less, I can throw it a mile, but I need to feather the spool very lightly at the end of the cast.

These reels ain't cheap, but they are incredibly smooth and consistent. Now if I could just go fishing.

Wayne

Last edited by lurenthewind; 04/11/20 12:47 AM.

Luck will beat skill any time you have enough of it!
Re: No backlash bait casters [Re: lurenthewind] #13514161 04/12/20 05:13 AM
B
Bdpeelgren Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
Originally Posted by lurenthewind
All I can say about the Tatula SV is WOW! I bought two of them used from a guy on this site. Have no real idea how old they are, but I have little to no experience throwing bait casters. I won't say that I have never gotten a backlash, but you have to screw up really bad to bird nest them. I chunked it once with the braid wrapped around the end of the rod--that'll get you a bird nest! blush

Since the Covid shutdown, I am not leaving the house because my wife is one of the highly at risk people and I can't afford to bring the virus home, I have been practice casting in my yard every day just to have something to do.

I have a bucket set about 60 feet from where I sit to throw. I don't hit the bucket a lot, but I am all around it every time I throw. I am also finding out that accuracy depends more on the rod than the reel. I am mostly using a St. Croix Avid MH Fast with braid that was on the reel when I bought it and have no idea what it is and a 3/8 oz. lead weight. With the same rod in a M Fast with mono that was on the reel when I bought it and have no idea what it is, same 3/8 oz lead weight, I am not as accurate. Both the rods were also bought used and both really feel great. I just like the MH best.

I have since bought a 2020 Tatula SV new and have ordered a Dobyns 734 H Fast during the 40% off sale. Don't have it yet so the jury is still out on that one.

These reels truly are backlash resistant. I can set the magnetic brake on 4 or 5, set the spool tension correctly based on the weight, and never touch my thumb to the spool after I cast and the reel will not over run unless I really throw it hard. With the magnetic brake on 2 or less, I can throw it a mile, but I need to feather the spool very lightly at the end of the cast.

These reels ain't cheap, but they are incredibly smooth and consistent. Now if I could just go fishing.

Wayne

Daiwa sets the spool tension knob from the factory on the Tatula SV’s. Any adjustments are supposed to be made with only the mag brake dial. This gives you the best performance of the reel.

Not really detrimental to the reel but it’s something you shouldn’t have to worry about.

Re: No backlash bait casters [Re: 603Country] #13515414 04/13/20 01:43 AM
L
lurenthewind Offline
Angler
Angler
L
I didn't even know that. I bought the two I am using right now used with no box or paperwork. I adjust the spool tension out of years of habit based on the weight I am throwing. They are pretty sweet in any case.

Wayne

Re: No backlash bait casters [Re: Bdpeelgren] #13515432 04/13/20 01:58 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by Bdpeelgren
Originally Posted by lurenthewind

Wayne

Daiwa sets the spool tension knob from the factory on the Tatula SV’s. Any adjustments are supposed to be made with only the mag brake dial. This gives you the best performance of the reel.

Not really detrimental to the reel but it’s something you shouldn’t have to worry about.

Well, Daiwa may set the spool tension at the factory, but I absolutely do not believe it's supposed to be left where it is. For one, why on earth would they design it with a dial for the consumer if they never intend for that user to turn it? I'm calling your bluff on this one. Show us a photo of Daiwa's instruction never to change it.

Re: No backlash bait casters [Re: 603Country] #13516000 04/13/20 04:59 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I can back lash my daiwa steez anytime, when I have the mag break very loose to cast a mile. If I get excited and try and chuck it far and hard vs a smooth cast it will jump the line off the spool and back lash.

just a fyi.

I can absolutely adj them so that never happens but casting distance really suffers as well as the cast takes a lot more effort. It works great for my wife and son etc.

I tend to tighten the mag dial a few clicks when I switch rods baits etc then back it off after each cast to re calibrate myself.

As for the spool tension it is factory set you can certainly gain more distance by loosening it from the factory setting, basically you just want a touch of free play moving the spool side to side.

Re: No backlash bait casters [Re: 603Country] #13516247 04/13/20 07:28 PM
L
lurenthewind Offline
Angler
Angler
L
I don't doubt that at all. I have not been using baitcasters very long, so I am not trying to see how far I can throw it. I am working solely on accuracy. Throwing almost every day at a bucket in my back yard at 60' ever since this lockdown started since I am not fishing.

The Mag dial on the Tatula is incredible. I am using setting 4 or 5 most of the time never overruns. If i back it off to 0-2 it will cast a mile with just a 3/8 oz weight but I have to feather the spool to keep it from overunning. I don't invision myself ever needing to cast much over 60' anyway.

Wayne

Re: No backlash bait casters [Re: 603Country] #13516370 04/13/20 08:46 PM
B
Bdpeelgren Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
[Linked Image]
Here is a photo I took from the manual.
You can adjust it if you want to. But they do set it from the factory.

Someone can buy a tatula and never have to worry about the spool tension knob and only make adjustments with the brake dial. That’s why I always prefer these reels to people who are newer to baitcasters or want a reel they can take out have a good time fishing and not constantly messing with brakes and knobs.

Re: No backlash bait casters [Re: 603Country] #13519283 04/15/20 05:24 PM
BigDozer66 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I just purchased a Tatula SV TW 103XS and I can confirm that it no longer says "The spool position of this reel is set at the optimal position at the time of shipping." in the instructions.

There is no "To adjust "No Spool Shaking," use the "Zero Adjuster." section in the instructions. welcome

2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BalZout Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount
Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide