Print Thread
Airbrushes #13510146 04/09/20 03:53 PM
T
Topwater2 Online Content OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
T
I've been buying the cheap ($30) brushes off Amazon but I'm look to upgrade. What airbrush do you painters like that wont' break the bank? Thanks

FishKen
Re: Airbrushes [Re: Topwater2] #13511504 04/10/20 11:02 AM
F
Fisherdad58 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
I got a Paasche Talon from Midwest Airbrush a while back for $76 and free shipping. That's just the airbrush and a .25MM needle. It works pretty good for me. Paasche uses a proprietary type air hose fitting so that would run a few more bucks.

It looks likes like that deal is still going. https://www.midwestairbrush.com/paascheraptor.html

"Be as straight as you can be and as crooked as you have to be, for what's right"

Psalm 8
Re: Airbrushes [Re: Topwater2] #13511919 04/10/20 04:12 PM
T
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
T
Thanks Fisherdad58

FishKen
Re: Airbrushes [Re: Topwater2] #13512746 04/11/20 03:59 AM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Get the 40% off coupon on the Hobby Lobby site then go buy an Iwata. They have 2 great models. The Iwata Neo will be under $50 with coupon and Iwata Eclipse around $100 after discount. BOTH are great and easy to use and maintain. The Eclipse is a top of the line brush.

Re: Airbrushes [Re: Topwater2] #13522625 04/17/20 06:52 PM
B
Blue Moon Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
[Linked Image]
I previously posted some Iwata airbrush advice in a once popular tips and tricks thread in this forum. I don't post often but thought those considering airbrush options for painting cranks might find it useful so I'll repost it below.

Painting Cranks with Iwata Airbrushes

The Neo and Eclipse HP-CS are both very versatile and both good airbrushes for painting crankbaits. For those looking to get into airbrushing crankbaits, either airbrush will deliver the performance you need to get started.

Iwata designed the Neo to appeal to people that want to try airbrushing without breaking the bank. If you’re on a strict budget where every dollar matters consider purchasing the Neo with a discount coupon and start painting. The Neo rarely holds anyone back.

On the other hand, for anyone making a buy decision and considering one over the other, if the difference in initial cost is within your budget, I would recommend the Eclipse HP-CS over the Neo for a couple of practical reasons. Mainly build quality is better, it has a few more standard features and most importantly, it’s upgradable. From a sustainability mindset, it will grow with you and likely last longer than the Neo. The Eclipse is a very good choice if you only have one airbrush and your intended use is custom painting crankbaits.

That said, for those already with a Neo or Eclipse HP-CS in your quiver, you likely don’t need one of each. When it comes time to add another airbrush to your quiver consider the High Performance HP-C Plus or Hi Line HP-CH. The HP-C Plus and HP-CH have the same outstanding features and are basically the same airbrush, except the Hi-Line HP-CH also has an internal mac valve.

In the real world when shopping online on Amazon there isn’t a significant difference in acquisition cost but adding either to your quiver would give you more control and potentially better end results. I would avoid eBay due to the knock off problems but Amazon usually has the real deal for great prices.

If you add the High Performance HP-C Plus or Hi-Line HP-CH, keep the Neo or Eclipse and start using it to shoot thicker base coats and paints and use the HP-C Plus or HP-CH for the majority of your work. Keep in mind needles and nozzles bend and break so the Neo or Eclipse can step into the first string lineup and keep you painting until spare parts arrive.

Trigger Mod

[Linked Image]

The Iwata Micron v2's come with a raised trigger. After shooting with one I decided to pimp my Eclipse. Easy mod with big returns. Much better trigger control and better ergonomics.

It's important to remove the trigger from your airbrush before you begin this mod. With it removed, simply build a pad on top of the trigger with a hot glue gun. Shape with the glue gun.

Warning - it's a good idea to have something to hold the trigger with as it will get hot. Easy to remove or change the profile if you don't like it.

Another warning - be super careful if you decide to paint during the pandemic. For that matter, be super careful around any aerosols during the pandemic. Data is showing that those that have been exposed to chemicals are doing worse than others...

Godspeed~

Blue Moon

Re: Airbrushes [Re: Topwater2] #13523290 04/18/20 03:12 AM
T
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
T
Thank you Blue Moon! I went to Midwest Airbrush and ordered a Paasche Raptor ($100) which I received in the mail today. I'll play around with it next week. Just got 20 lures clear coated so time for split rings and hooks.

FishKen
Re: Airbrushes [Re: Mark Perry] #13724845 10/09/20 02:28 AM
hawghoover Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Get the 40% off coupon on the Hobby Lobby site then go buy an Iwata. They have 2 great models. The Iwata Neo will be under $50 with coupon and Iwata Eclipse around $100 after discount. BOTH are great and easy to use and maintain. The Eclipse is a top of the line brush.

sorry to say they wont honor 40% on the air brushes,but i do love my Iwata...iv had about 6 over the years and like them the best.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide