Forums59
Topics1,038,938
Posts13,955,886
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: LeonSulak] #13512166 04/10/20 07:11 PM
W
Will.i.am Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
W
Lake Mcqueeny has my vote, lil to no bass fishing pressure. Water temps stay pretty constant not to hot or cold, plenty of habitat. Glad I'm still able to fish it every so often!

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: LeonSulak] #13512177 04/10/20 07:20 PM
C
Capt. Bryan Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Best opportunity would be OH Ivie or choke canyon for the next 3-5 years. Big bass potential with lots of new water.

Skeeter FXR 21
Yamaha
Humminbird/Garmin
Lews
Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: LeonSulak] #13512214 04/10/20 07:59 PM
B
big mike Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
It's doubtful, but possible. The timing of the catch would have to be perfectl. For example, most of us agree there are 15lb and maybe 16lb bass out there. If you caught one of those giants right after it ate a huge meal and it was also prespawn then that could possibly do it. And I mean a huge meal like a big gizzard shad or crappie.

Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: LeonSulak] #13512268 04/10/20 08:56 PM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
a teen bass eats much larger things than a 18" gizzard shad or a 2-4lb crappie. I had a 13+ eat a 7lb+ striper in one of my tanks.

Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: BorNella] #13512283 04/10/20 09:18 PM
SAKS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Sambow
How many bass live in Texas? Millions and millions and millions. I can't believe that there isn't a single 20 pounder somewhere. I find it hard to believe that there aren't multiple. I hear all the reasons for not having any real giants but to say there aren't any at all in Texas seems unlikely. There are too many fish for there not to be a few exceptions to the rule.

To me it is like Powerball. Will you win? Nope. But someone sometime will.

How many 8ft humans are there? Currently 3 known based on what I can find. I am not comparing people and fish but my point is there is a ceiling for all species regarding size and every now and then you have an abnormality. There may not be any 20lb fish in the state of Texas. Only 2 states have a record over 20 (California 20yrs ago and Georgia almost 90yrs ago). 20lbs is the holy grail of largemouth bass. I am not saying Texas doesn't have one but won't be surprised if one is not caught during my lifetime but I would like to see it happen.

Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: senko9S] #13512402 04/10/20 11:23 PM
1oldbassguy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by senko9S
a teen bass eats much larger things than a 18" gizzard shad or a 2-4lb crappie. I had a 13+ eat a 7lb+ striper in one of my tanks.

My PB is 12.5lbs --- caught it on a 4.5" straight tail worm , crigged . She was a big football shaped bass , she went 25.5" and almost 24 " on the girth . April spawn .
The biggest bass I have ever seen , and almost caught was approx 13-14 lbs . I was reeling in a 14" bass that I caught on a 5" green Senko , 4 foot water visibility , no wind . She came up out of nowhere and in one motion totally engulfed the bass , immediately spit it out , shook her head , yawned her giant mouth -- then went back to deep water . I was in total shock at her size . I would say she was at least 28-30 inches long , not super fat , but a Giant head and tail ( October 2018 ) . I am positive this bass would have been at least 14 to 15 during spawn . Giant bass will eat anything that is easy and if that's a giant lure or food ---OK . I think it's more right place / right time and lots of luck .

Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: SAKS] #13512442 04/10/20 11:47 PM
BorNella Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted by SAKS
How many bass live in Texas? Millions and millions and millions. I can't believe that there isn't a single 20 pounder somewhere. I find it hard to believe that there aren't multiple. I hear all the reasons for not having any real giants but to say there aren't any at all in Texas seems unlikely. There are too many fish for there not to be a few exceptions to the rule.

How many 8ft humans are there? Currently 3 known based on what I can find. I am not comparing people and fish but my point is there is a ceiling for all species regarding size and every now and then you have an abnormality. There may not be any 20lb fish in the state of Texas. Only 2 states have a record over 20 (California 20yrs ago and Georgia almost 90yrs ago). 20lbs is the holy grail of largemouth bass. I am not saying Texas doesn't have one but won't be surprised if one is not caught during my lifetime but I would like to see it happen.

I'm not saying that one will ever be caught but I definitely think it can happen. To say that it doesn't exist because you won't see it makes no sense. There are millions and millions of bass in millions and millions of ft of water. We can spin our wheels talking about it all we want but I just don't believe that there aren't multiple in this state that live in some deep dark cool hole somewhere.

In every species there are genetic anomalies and I don't believe bass are different. I'm not arguing against the rule as much as for the exception to it.

Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: SAKS] #13512515 04/11/20 01:06 AM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Good analogy

Good analogy!

Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: LeonSulak] #13512610 04/11/20 02:19 AM
5-20 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Nope. That chance went away with the grass in Lake Austin.

Just imagine if there had been a bit of vision and creativity... that lake would have been perfect for trout stocks. With the cold water coming in from Travis we could’ve had trout in there from early November until late May/early June.

Toads for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: LeonSulak] #13512618 04/11/20 02:22 AM
Minner Bucket Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Dad swears he’s seen 1 that was 20 lbs on Amistad, but that was quite a few years ago. Surely one exists on those 100 ft ledges, highly doubt it will ever be caught.

Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: 5-20] #13512664 04/11/20 02:50 AM
W
Will.i.am Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
W
Originally Posted by 5-20
Nope. That chance went away with the grass in Lake Austin.

Just imagine if there had been a bit of vision and creativity... that lake would have been perfect for trout stocks. With the cold water coming in from Travis we could’ve had trout in there from early November until late May/early June.

I've argued this with plenty of people on how canyon lake would be perfect to try and mimic what is going on California with the trout. Canyon is deep clear cool water lake not too big but big enough. Now that is has hyrdilla in it, it might have been the perfect setup to grow some big fish!

Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: Ken A.] #13513362 04/11/20 06:38 PM
BorNella Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted by Ken A.
Good analogy

Good analogy!

How many 600 pound people are out there. We aren't supposed to weigh that much but it does happen. Height vs weight is apples to oranges

Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: LeonSulak] #13513365 04/11/20 06:42 PM
D
Dale Gribble Offline
Angler
Angler
D
It’s alive and well in the fertile waters of Caddo

Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: LeonSulak] #13513426 04/11/20 07:26 PM
D
Dr JL Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Lot of Caddo believers out there.

Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: BorNella] #13513702 04/11/20 10:31 PM
SAKS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Ken A.
Good analogy

Good analogy!

How many 600 pound people are out there. We aren't supposed to weigh that much but it does happen. Height vs weight is apples to oranges

I don't know, how many? My comparison had nothing to do with comparing fruit. It was based purely on rare documented occurrences. The fact that there have only been a handful of documented bass 20+ lbs proves the rarity. I don't believe it is not possible just don't have the same optimism of the possibility that's all.

Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide