texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,895
Posts13,954,949
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: Ken A.] #13511675 04/10/20 01:23 PM
C
cali kid Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Originally Posted by Ken A.
Originally Posted by fivebites
The problem in your equation here Ken is that they DID get that big with the same weather conditions at Lake Fork. Agreed on the Cali fish. If it wasn't in California I'd move to San Diego! Bruce's explanation of how they got that big at Fork is the best answer I've heard. But there is always a chance she's out there!

No arguing that Lake Fork was an anomaly Randy. However all lakes have a life cycle, even the Mighty Fork. I have been in water treatment for almost 30 years so that makes me kind of a water doctor so to speak. hmmm

Timber, vegetation, flooded debris begins to degrade & rot over the years. As it does it begins to emit sulfate reducing bacteria (SRB) in the process. Many of us have waded in a lake or pond and smelled a foul rotten egg smell as we pulled our feet from the muck. Those are SRB's you are smelling.

SRB's occur in water, sediment, or water with a lot of decaying organic material like our lakes. The sulfate-reducing microorganisms reduce sulfate over time and emit acidic sulfide as waste. The chemical reaction that happens during this process depletes the dissolved oxygen in the water thereby making it less inhabitable for all marine life.

The acid produced by the SRB's lower the pH as well. This is why most private lake owners add tons of lime to their lakes about once a decade. The lime (calcium carbonate) helps buffer the pH of the water back up to a more neutral & healthy for freshwater fish life range of 7-8. The pH on the bottom of a lake can be as low as 1.0 if SRB's are present. This pH will not support most types of aquatic vegetation.

If left unchecked, the depletion of oxygen & lower pH levels will support much less plankton in the lake. Without plankton, the threadfin shad, glass minnows, baby bluegill population have no food source. It takes a TON of baitfish for a bass to grow to even ten pounds, much less state record status. All the stars have to align.

Additionally with the lack of grass in the lake, the baby fish have less habitat to hide in and survive the first few months of their life. Big fish eat little fish. It is the cycle of life.

This is not to say Lake Fork is doomed by any means. All lakes cycle but it is not a matter of months. It is years or even decades. It has been 18 years since Fork produced the State Record. All indicators would tell me that Fork is not capable of producing an 18 pound bass in the immediate future.

Don't get me wrong. I would love to see it happen. I would love to see ANY lake in TX produce a fish larger than 18 pounds public or private.

Good post.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: LeonSulak] #13511721 04/10/20 01:53 PM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
While cleaning crappie a couple years ago on Fork with our guide, ....the guide, my wife and I saw the biggest bass any of us had ever
seen swim out from under the dock and inhaled a filleted 2 pound crappie in one swallow. We all looked at each other at the same time and
were speechless. We all agreed that that fish was at least 15 pounds. Since then, the guide has told me he has seen her a few times.
So I believe that there are a few BIG bass in Fork. fish

Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: LeonSulak] #13511766 04/10/20 02:25 PM
B
bassmanrudy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I sure Hope so!! It's why I travel to and fish Texas lakes every chance I get!! Caddo, Rayburn, Toledo Bend, Fork, Pines- all of these I enjoy and everytime I set the hook "you never know" what is on the line!

Fork- lost a giant from underneath a dock that was one of the biggest fish I've had hooked and saw
Pines- had a fish break a hook while trying to horse back thru timber. Never saw it but felt like a stump when I set the hook til it moved!
Caddo- had a fish pull off after making a long run that I couldn't stop. Could have been a monster catfish/gar/drum but it left my shaking my head for a while just wondering.

Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: LeonSulak] #13511842 04/10/20 03:17 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
I think ken meant 28 years not 18 since the record.

Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: LeonSulak] #13511872 04/10/20 03:40 PM
SAKS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I think the current state record will last for long time. They are weighing 15's from time to time and those are giants but that is 3.5lbs from setting a new record. That's a lot of weight for a bass. Records are always set to be broken. The chances of there being one in a lake somewhere are reasonable but its a needle in a haystack. There is a reason these records last so long. As far as a world record just searching for that same needle in a bigger haystack. It will be exciting when it happens though either state or world.

Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: Jarrett Latta] #13511873 04/10/20 03:41 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta

Good Grief I am getting old!! I had to get out my calculator. Let's see 2020 minus 1992 is... Uhh, err,, Wow 28!!

Math was never my strong suit...... nuts

Thanks Jarrett

Last edited by Ken A.; 04/10/20 03:41 PM.

Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: Ken A.] #13511885 04/10/20 03:45 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J

Good Grief I am getting old!! I had to get out my calculator. Let's see 2020 minus 1992 is... Uhh, err,, Wow 28!!

Math was never my strong suit...... nuts

Thanks Jarrett

me too I saw 18 and thought 2002? I had to go look it up first though to be sure haha

Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: LeonSulak] #13511999 04/10/20 04:57 PM
B
BCB Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
We feel “share a lunker” May reduce long term life of very large fish as they were transported to produce more offspring. They end up in stock farm conditions and when released the cycle could be broken. We need to promote and have a full catch & release only Managed reservoir to know for sure what detriments exist. Catch and instant release would be one way, perhaps a closed season in a reservoir also would make a difference.

We cherish these large fish and we want to raise more, though we invade their habitat and we often drag them to a scale for weight and pictures, it has to effect them. Let alone where they get released, if they get released. Just look at how many times Dottie was looked at and photographed in California. No matter the controversy around that situation she was caught and released several times.

BCB
Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: Ken A.] #13512048 04/10/20 05:31 PM
1oldbassguy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I have serious doubts about an 18+ in our Texas waters. Don't get me wrong. Nothing would make me prouder of Texas than for someone to catch a 20 pound bass in ANY LAKE, public or private in the Lone Star State!

Private land owners have been trying to grow an 18+ since the beginning of time and nobody has done it yet. I truly believe there is a ceiling of about 16 pounds for largemouth bass here in NTX. The weather gets too hot in the summer & too cold in the winter for optimum growth. At one point 20 years ago I would have bet my last dollar there was a 20 pounder living in Fork. Not any more!

We've had this debate many times on here. The reason Cali has grown several 20+ pound bass is pretty simple. The weather is much milder than NTX. The water temp at Lake Casitas never drops below 55 in the winter and never gets above 80 in the summer. The bass there live in air conditioned comfort - they live longer & are less stressed so they get bigger.

Plus they stock rainbow trout from Oct thru March for the locals to catch. Those trout are farm raised and have never seen another fish in their lives except for a mirror image trout so they have no fear of any predators. There is a video floating around of several DD bass under a dock at a Cali marina waiting for the trout truck. The truck shows up & dumps the trout and the feeding begins. It's not even what I would call a frenzy. The stupid trout have no fear of the bass. Some of the trout even after being engulfed & released by a bass won't flee for their lives.

They swim right up to the bass like, "Oh hello, can you give me directions to the trout farm?" They are such easy prey for the bass. They expend virtually no energy to eat those protein-rich trout. That's why they get so big in Cali.

Most of the Cali lakes don't stock the trout anymore --- the DFG makes excuses they cant afford to keep doing it . The reason the trout just swim around all stupid is shock --- for the first several hours , they are acclimating to water temp --- and yes , those big bass totally understand when they are being stocked and some bass --- thats all they are eating . In the lakes that don't have Florida strains --- you used to be able to get up to 15- 16 lbs --- even in really small lakes . IN the lakes that do have Florida strains --- a 20lber is well within reason . Another reason the bass grow so big in Cali -- is depth of some of the lakes . Even some of the smaller lakes are 200Feet deep . The bass can move around as water temp and oxygen requires .
I believe the really big Texas lakes will have a state record -- mainly because of size , depth and food .

Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: LeonSulak] #13512080 04/10/20 05:57 PM
BorNella Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
How many bass live in Texas? Millions and millions and millions. I can't believe that there isn't a single 20 pounder somewhere. I find it hard to believe that there aren't multiple. I hear all the reasons for not having any real giants but to say there aren't any at all in Texas seems unlikely. There are too many fish for there not to be a few exceptions to the rule.

To me it is like Powerball. Will you win? Nope. But someone sometime will.

Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: Lazy Ike] #13512099 04/10/20 06:12 PM
C
Captain Break-Off Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
C
Originally Posted by Lazy Ike
Originally Posted by Hair Jig

They swim right up to the bass like, "Oh hello, can you give me directions to the trout farm?"

roflmao roflmao roflmao

cheers That's funny right there. I GUESS most of ya'll might be too young to have seen this, and I would have missed it IF my dad hd not showed it to me.A article& photo. in sports page. CIRCA 73/ 76 of what would of shattered the current STATE RECORD. Caught by my boss. Out of his private pond. In the Dallas city limits, {was over 20lbs.} Aint No fish story.

I remember that fish, it was caught from a pond not to far from the intersection of Buckner Blvd. and Garland Rd. The pond is still there and you can look at it on google maps or google earth.

Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: LeonSulak] #13512105 04/10/20 06:16 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
I suspect there are brief periods every couple years where the stars align and such a fish may exists. As a general statement I agree 100% with Ken. It's too hot in the summer (shortens lifespane) too cold in the winter (slows growth). Every couple years though, maybe after a dry spell that is followed up by high water... a fish that normally swims around at 12-13 pounds, has a couple banner years and shoots up to 15-16 lbs, then gains a 1lb of spawn, then eats a 2lb crappie. It's possible. She may only top 18 lbs for a day or two while she's digesting that fish, but it could happen.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: Jarrett Latta] #13512109 04/10/20 06:19 PM
R
RayBob Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
R
It will take a lake going through a new cycle such as flooding or extreme drought then flooding in my opinion. Such as falcon a few years after it fills up. If it wasn't for the cycles of flooding Rayburn wouldn't be half the lake it is now.

The hydrilla beds of the mid to late 90's helped this lake immensely . The lake record was caught then. (On Farmer's). The flooding kills off the hydrilla and is done on purpose for this reason. No spraying (which probably initiated the "LMBV") needed. 8'-10' high denies light to deep hydrilla and 6'-8' down in summer kills the shallow stuff. The flooding does help year recruitment ... on that I agree.

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.

Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: Jpurdue] #13512136 04/10/20 06:41 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
I suspect there are brief periods every couple years where the stars align and such a fish may exists. As a general statement I agree 100% with Ken. It's too hot in the summer (shortens lifespane) too cold in the winter (slows growth). Every couple years though, maybe after a dry spell that is followed up by high water... a fish that normally swims around at 12-13 pounds, has a couple banner years and shoots up to 15-16 lbs, then gains a 1lb of spawn, then eats a 2lb crappie. It's possible. She may only top 18 lbs for a day or two while she's digesting that fish, but it could happen.

That's why lake Austin had the best chance before the carp fiasco. The temps would be 70's even in hot summer. You'd see fish spawning into June. It was pumping out 13+ up to the lake record of 16+. The Florida strain took off strong with little native influence. It was something special

Re: Bringing it back: Do you believe there is a state record bass alive in a TX lake? [Re: LeonSulak] #13512147 04/10/20 06:51 PM
H
Hookem Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
H
<2013 Lake Austin

crying

Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread