Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Dock shooting? [Re: stripermania] #13504878 04/06/20 03:14 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by stripermania
What is the ideal rod length for a first time user and do you change rod length when you get better at shooting?

I can’t answer your question appropriately, but I can tell you what I did, in an effort to become much more proficient, and productive at dock shooting. I upgraded my equipment. Bought a 6ft, rear seat G-rod, paired it with a 2000 series Shimano reel, and filled the reel with a full reel of quality flo yellow 6/8lb line. Further, I spent a lot of time on the water with a good dock shooting partner, so that I could test my improvement against, a top quality shooter.

Now, equipment wise, the G-rod is has a strong back bone and a fast tip, and will fling that jig way under the dock to the dark recesses, once you learn how to shoot a jig properly ( not very easy on some docks). I believe that a one piece 6-7 foot rod with good backbone and fast or extra fast tip, will serve you well. Seems to me, that 1/16 and 1/32 minnow heads work very well, as do over sized plastic bodies. In fact, I go through quite a few of my dock shooting partners minnow heads and plastic bodies, on a routine basis.

Pairing up with someone that know how to approach and shoot docks is invaluable. Once you get the hang of dock shooting, is is a very exciting way to fish. On a final note, you will be able to tell when you are becoming proficient at dock shooting, when your dock shooting partner, begins taking full advantage of first shot opportunities, boat positioning, and convenient reminders (ie., don’t hit my livescope screen, trolling motor, transducer, chair, motor, etc, as he is positioning the boat to his/her tactical advantage!). Just consider these things, as a tribute to your improvement in the art of dock shooting! Hope this information helps, and as always...tight lines!

Re: Dock shooting? [Re: Jezreel] #13504963 04/06/20 03:58 PM
F
Fishbonz Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted by Jezreel
I went out to Cedar Creek yesterday in my kayak. This was my first time to try dock shooting. The water was REAL muddy, and it was pretty cloudy, very little sun. I just received my 6' dock shooter from ACC Crappie Stix, and had to get out.

I didn't get a bite. I blamed it on the cloudy weather and muddy water, but after reading this thread, I think my technique was wrong. I was using a 1/16oz jig head and a Slab Bandit. I also tried a small lure with a blade. I was not not allowing the jig to sink. I would shoot the jig under the dock and immediately start reeling.

So, do I let the jig sink to the bottom, and then begin to reel? I assume I don't want to drag the jig along the bottom. Anyway. . . Any further technique advice would be appreciated.
I don`t know if you are already but......
If you are`nt using a Hi Viz line for dock shootin Get some. It will help you see the bite because Sometimes you don`t always get a thump while dock shooting but just a slight tick in your line & that`s the bite.If you see your line do something different while your jig drops that`s him. coolio

Last edited by Fishbonz; 04/06/20 04:02 PM.

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: Dock shooting? [Re: willyrdskillyrd] #13505227 04/06/20 06:03 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
High vis line is a must. If you don’t have it when dock shooting I am certain you are missing half of the bites you get. When you first shoot the jig under there, don’t close the bail right away and give some slack. This allows the bait to drop straight down and gives you more time in the strike zone. Don’t worry about missing bite as you will see them with the high vis line. Let it go to the bottom. When it hits the bottom, pick your rod up and raise the jig off the bottom and then let it fall again. When that jig is falling pay close attention to your line. The line will jump or go slack a lot of the time

Re: Dock shooting? [Re: KidKrappie] #13505265 04/06/20 06:19 PM
F
Fishbonz Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted by fishin'aholic2
High vis line is a must. If you don’t have it when dock shooting I am certain you are missing half of the bites you get. When you first shoot the jig under there, don’t close the bail right away and give some slack. This allows the bait to drop straight down and gives you more time in the strike zone. Don’t worry about missing bite as you will see them with the high vis line. Let it go to the bottom. When it hits the bottom, pick your rod up and raise the jig off the bottom and then let it fall again. When that jig is falling pay close attention to your line. The line will jump or go slack a lot of the time

+1 thumb

Last edited by Fishbonz; 04/06/20 06:20 PM.

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: Dock shooting? [Re: KidKrappie] #13505455 04/06/20 07:55 PM
W
willyrdskillyrd Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
W

I’ve wondered about that as well, does hi viz line not reduce notes due to the crappie seeing it?

Re: Dock shooting? [Re: willyrdskillyrd] #13505484 04/06/20 08:09 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted by willyrdskillyrd

I’ve wondered about that as well, does hi viz line not reduce notes due to the crappie seeing it?

Nope. Crappie are not line shy.

Re: Dock shooting? [Re: willyrdskillyrd] #13505962 04/07/20 01:03 AM
W
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
W
Headed to cedar creek tomorrow with my mom and dad, hoping to come home with a good mess. Thanks everybody for the advice, I’ll try to put it to good use!

Re: Dock shooting? [Re: willyrdskillyrd] #13506771 04/07/20 03:39 PM
J
Jezreel Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Yes! ! ! Thanks so much for the words of wisdom and experience. Looking forward to getting back at it.

Re: Dock shooting? [Re: willyrdskillyrd] #13506821 04/07/20 04:09 PM
J
jig master Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Cedar creek doesn’t have any docks to shoot. Lol

Don't believe everything you hear and half of what you see . Living for the Thump !!
Re: Dock shooting? [Re: willyrdskillyrd] #13506824 04/07/20 04:10 PM
D
DaBears Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I also planned to go to Cedar Creek tomorrow. It is a lake that I have never fished but took tomorrow off of work to do so.

I am bringing my kayak and just wondering with the Texas State Parks closing after today, can someone tell me when I can put in at tomorrow?

Thanks a lot!

Re: Dock shooting? [Re: willyrdskillyrd] #13507193 04/07/20 07:54 PM
K
KEGracing Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
DaBears,

They are calling for SW wind tomorrow. South end of the lake is clearer water I am hearing, than the north end right now. Should work better for wind in a yak also. I would look at the map around Caney Creek and or Clear Creek, on South East end of the lake. Google Maps with satelite view is a wonderful thing... There is a public ramp on the northeast end of the first 198 bridge going north from Malakoff. Also some Marina's around there that might be open.

I am up in the Gun Barrel City area, and Big Chief landing on east end of 334 bridge should be open to launch I would think. It is not a park. With a kayak, I am sure you can find something somewhere.

Good luck, and let us know how you do.

Stay safe.

#Texasstrong

Ken

Last edited by KEGracing; 04/07/20 07:56 PM. Reason: cant spell

2014 Premier Alante 235 RF tritoon. Momma's boat. But I get to fish on her.

A country boy will survive... but those who cross him?

Cedar Creek personal best:
Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Tennessee River Blue 45.7
Re: Dock shooting? [Re: willyrdskillyrd] #13507200 04/07/20 07:56 PM
K
KEGracing Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
WillyR

How did you do? Where - what area of lake, did you end up fishing, and did you do any good. I am watching all this nice weather again... and forecast for another cold and wet weekend... again. But I will be back down to CC Friday either way.

Stay safe everyone!

#Texasstrong

Ken

2014 Premier Alante 235 RF tritoon. Momma's boat. But I get to fish on her.

A country boy will survive... but those who cross him?

Cedar Creek personal best:
Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Tennessee River Blue 45.7
Re: Dock shooting? [Re: KEGracing] #13507241 04/07/20 08:18 PM
W
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
W
Originally Posted by KEGracing
WillyR

How did you do? Where - what area of lake, did you end up fishing, and did you do any good. I am watching all this nice weather again... and forecast for another cold and wet weekend... again. But I will be back down to CC Friday either way.

Stay safe everyone!

#Texasstrong

Ken

We did pretty well considering it was the first time ever fishing that lake. We caught most of our fish off of one dock near star harbor but couldn’t really get much going anywhere else. Monkey milk was on a chartreuse 1/16th oz jig head was the color of choice. I believe we finished with 11 keepers but we caught at least that many throwbacks as well.

Attached Files 5EC3658D-4D8C-42FE-BDD1-BE721818A6E6.jpeg32BD2C8C-5173-4047-8F7E-519505F8D5E7.jpeg
Re: Dock shooting? [Re: KEGracing] #13507309 04/07/20 09:10 PM
D
DaBears Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Originally Posted by KEGracing
DaBears,

They are calling for SW wind tomorrow. South end of the lake is clearer water I am hearing, than the north end right now. Should work better for wind in a yak also. I would look at the map around Caney Creek and or Clear Creek, on South East end of the lake. Google Maps with satelite view is a wonderful thing... There is a public ramp on the northeast end of the first 198 bridge going north from Malakoff. Also some Marina's around there that might be open.

I am up in the Gun Barrel City area, and Big Chief landing on east end of 334 bridge should be open to launch I would think. It is not a park. With a kayak, I am sure you can find something somewhere.

Good luck, and let us know how you do.

Stay safe.

#Texasstrong

Ken

Thanks a lot for the information Ken. I will definitely let you know how I do.

Re: Dock shooting? [Re: willyrdskillyrd] #13507489 04/07/20 11:33 PM
W
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
W
I also have another question, is there anything in particular y’all look for when shooting docks? Certain depths etc.? Or do y’all just drive by with side scan and look for fish? I’m not 100% sure on how to see fish under docks on side scan

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide