texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,881
Posts13,954,749
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Our Economy is Dependent [Re: WAWI] #13504786 04/06/20 02:32 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by WAWI
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
My main issue is the size and scope of the 2-6 trillion dollar package that was passed so quickly. I don't think anyone knows where that money is going to go or how it's going to help exactly. That money will be funded by debt and eventually be a burden all tax payers bare, probably for generations.

I still think if you can't pay your rent after missing a single paycheck you are doing it wrong. I stand by that. But you guys are correct, reality is reality, a lot of folks are in that boat. Furthermore I'm probably splitting hairs, because this is clearly going to last more than a week or two for a whole bunch of people.

The fight in me is just about gone on this whole thing. My main argument from the get go is that this virus is real and it is dangerous and we should try to slow it's spread until we better understand it. I supported social distancing early on, but I agree it can't go on forever.

My apologies if I offended anyone. Tough times for all.

I'm pretty damn financially stable, I can literally go years and years without making another dime. For you to cast judgment on poor people, young people starting out, etc. Cause they dont have reserves is funny. Shameful really. I suspect you are a silver spoon kid.

I try and turn the conversation positive and you have to drag it right back down into the ditch. You don't know a single thing about me. My parents lived in a trailer when I was born. My mom was 19 and my dad was 21. They've been married coming up on 40 years in May. I have paid for everything since I was 16 years old, including 100% of my college education. I got my first job when I was 12 working on a farm. I worked every summer from then on until I graduated HS. As soon as I turned 18 I started working in factories to pay my way through college. Now I run factories. My dad drives truck for a living and my mom works in retail. Both great people. Neither went to college. You can take your silver spoon and go shove it.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Our Economy is Dependent [Re: donothin] #13504793 04/06/20 02:37 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
If that's the case you should remember where you came from, if all your jobs had been taken away from you overnight thru no fault of your own back then I bet you didnt have 2 nickles to rub together after a month. Which means you are either no telling the truth or you are a hypocrite.

Re: Our Economy is Dependent [Re: Jpurdue] #13504797 04/06/20 02:38 PM
Happykamper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Well allrightythen !! I think I will go fishing.

[Linked Image]
Re: Our Economy is Dependent [Re: donothin] #13504801 04/06/20 02:40 PM
donothin Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Yup, and many retirement programs went just that way. And many have proven that are way too many who don't have the will to invest and leave it in their 401k. Fortunately that plan did not ever pass. What about all of the money that was taken from SS to balance the budget back during the Reagan years? Has it been repaid as promised? It is not as if SS was fundamentally flawed, but has been used for so many things it was never intended to fund.
Yes, there are many who would handle their retirement investment just fine, but there are many who would not and so we end up with a bunch of people too old to work and have no means of getting basic life items.

Re: Our Economy is Dependent [Re: donothin] #13504808 04/06/20 02:43 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
I have a person working for me whose husband works more than anyone I know, works all day at one job then half the night 4 days a week at another, poot guy lost both jobs. You gonna blame people like that. This is the fault of the government, local and state in large part. You cant bi a big government guy when it comes to allowing the government to do what they have done then turn around and be a small government guy when it comes to cleaning up the mess they made. That's stupid. I'm as small a government guy as you will find. I'm offended on every level by what's going on. That said they made the mess so clean it up

Re: Our Economy is Dependent [Re: Happykamper] #13504809 04/06/20 02:43 PM
T
Trickster Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
T
Originally Posted by Happykamper

roflmao

Re: Our Economy is Dependent [Re: Happykamper] #13504812 04/06/20 02:45 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by Happykamper

Lol

Re: Our Economy is Dependent [Re: Mark Perry] #13504814 04/06/20 02:45 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Respectfully there are many people who are not doing life wrong if they miss a paycheck and its catastrophic...some care for elderly parents, sick relatives or children of other relatives. Some are ill themselves. Some terminally. Their life was rocked by medical bills etc that caused hardship.
Not everyone fits into a Norman Rockwell life. Not everyone struggling has made bad decisions. Some have just had life happen to them.
I don't have to make excuses for them as they have nothing to be ashamed of. Sometimes you gotta look past yourself and understand many have struggles that you cannot comprehend. They are doing the best they can in the situation they are in.

well said mark, I am one of those who took a major hit and lost everything as pretty much everyone on here knows.
nov. 2009 chapt. 7 was discharged and my life was f'd in a major way due to being on work comp and then having a non insured idiot snap my neck. creditors refused to work with me while on work comp, had a huge medical bill for the neck surgery and still was paying off my 20% of prostate cancer surgery.

like I said the other day, I make less a month than 99% of y'all make a week, still have about 1,500.00 in the bank and at the end of may (was gonna be last month but the covid changed things some) I will go to fork and kick back for whatever time I have left.

I am not the best money manager but I am smart enough to know to have as much as I can put back for the bs life can toss at ya unexpected.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: Our Economy is Dependent [Re: hopalong] #13504833 04/06/20 02:53 PM
retdbasser Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by hopalong
Respectfully there are many people who are not doing life wrong if they miss a paycheck and its catastrophic...some care for elderly parents, sick relatives or children of other relatives. Some are ill themselves. Some terminally. Their life was rocked by medical bills etc that caused hardship.
Not everyone fits into a Norman Rockwell life. Not everyone struggling has made bad decisions. Some have just had life happen to them.
I don't have to make excuses for them as they have nothing to be ashamed of. Sometimes you gotta look past yourself and understand many have struggles that you cannot comprehend. They are doing the best they can in the situation they are in.

well said mark, I am one of those who took a major hit and lost everything as pretty much everyone on here knows.
nov. 2009 chapt. 7 was discharged and my life was f'd in a major way due to being on work comp and then having a non insured idiot snap my neck. creditors refused to work with me while on work comp, had a huge medical bill for the neck surgery and still was paying off my 20% of prostate cancer surgery.

like I said the other day, I make less a month than 99% of y'all make a week, still have about 1,500.00 in the bank and at the end of may (was gonna be last month but the covid changed things some) I will go to fork and kick back for whatever time I have left.

I am not the best money manager but I am smart enough to know to have as much as I can put back for the bs life can toss at ya unexpected.

Something like 50% of bankruptcies are due to medical bills and resulting difficulties and how many will think you're just lazy and don't want to work.

I'm sorry for your situation and hope you can get back on the lake soon. Chin up.

Prepare for the future-it will be here tomorrow.
Personal Best Large Mouth Bass 9 lbs. 12 oz 5/13/19.
Herb Stein, who famously reminded us that “if something can’t go on forever, it will stop.”
Re: Our Economy is Dependent [Re: WAWI] #13504840 04/06/20 02:56 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
If that's the case you should remember where you came from, if all your jobs had been taken away from you overnight thru no fault of your own back then I bet you didnt have 2 nickles to rub together after a month. Which means you are either no telling the truth or you are a hypocrite.

Or as soon as I was out on my own I got the cheap apartment and I got a roommate. It wasn't too hard to save up a couple months of emergency expenses because my expenses were so low. Split rent, groceries, utilities with a roommate and it's not so bad. Rinse and repeat. Don't upgrade your life until you upgrade your emergency fund. I actually had a roommate(s) until I met my wife when I was 28 years old. I was an engineer making decent money at that point and I was driving a beat up used Honda Civic. I didn't get what I would consider a nice vehicle until I had enough I could pay for it with cash. That was 2 years ago at the age of 35. Zero doubt I have been blessed in my life. Mostly with good health and hardworking honest parents who made sure they raised me right even though we didn't have tons of extra to go around. Most folks can do it if they get their priorities right. Instead we have a culture of instant gratification fueled through debt.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Our Economy is Dependent [Re: donothin] #13504851 04/06/20 03:02 PM
B
Bob Davis Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Originally Posted by donothin
Yup, and many retirement programs went just that way. And many have proven that are way too many who don't have the will to invest and leave it in their 401k. Fortunately that plan did not ever pass. What about all of the money that was taken from SS to balance the budget back during the Reagan years? Has it been repaid as promised? It is not as if SS was fundamentally flawed, but has been used for so many things it was never intended to fund.
Yes, there are many who would handle their retirement investment just fine, but there are many who would not and so we end up with a bunch of people too old to work and have no means of getting basic life items.

I think the term was "kick the can down the road" and the plan did not stop SS for those grandfathered in. Understandably you were concerned for your income since SS was part of your plan. That was not going to stop. You are part of the problem El Coyote was talking about. You voted for "hope and change" yet you really wanted "stay the same". So the yoots of today are stuck with the US Government administering their savings and we know how good the Govt. is with balancing budgets and efficiency. Where is all of the money paid in by people who die before they draw any out? Why is it doomed to insolvency in 2032? What happened to reaping what we sow? No sowing, no harvesting. Self accountability?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: Our Economy is Dependent [Re: hopalong] #13504852 04/06/20 03:03 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by hopalong

Sorry to hear that Hop. I bet you didn't have to fold up after missing a single pay check though. Certainly some folks can be dealt some tough cards, sounds like you got them in spades. Glad to hear you've recovered from most of that.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Our Economy is Dependent [Re: Jpurdue] #13504862 04/06/20 03:06 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by Jpurdue

Or as soon as I was out on my own I got the cheap apartment and I got a roommate. It wasn't too hard to save up a couple months of emergency expenses because my expenses were so low. Split rent, groceries, utilities with a roommate and it's not so bad. Rinse and repeat. Don't upgrade your life until you upgrade your emergency fund. I actually had a roommate(s) until I met my wife when I was 28 years old. I was an engineer making decent money at that point and I was driving a beat up used Honda Civic. I didn't get what I would consider a nice vehicle until I had enough I could pay for it with cash. That was 2 years ago at the age of 35. Zero doubt I have been blessed in my life. Mostly with good health and hardworking honest parents who made sure they raised me right even though we didn't have tons of extra to go around. Most folks can do it if they get their priorities right. Instead we have a culture of instant gratification fueled through debt.

How you do all that fishing to write those books out of a Honda civic???? I would assume to be a fishing authority such as you are there was a boat????

Re: Our Economy is Dependent [Re: Mark Perry] #13504864 04/06/20 03:07 PM
B
basscaster46 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
B
Most people dont have enough money for it even to matter if they lose it. Money buys freedom and it buys choices, some of the fear mongers poo poo those who are pissed about how this is being handled as greedy, I dont give a rats arse about money, I care about the freedom I have gained by no debt, and a really nice nest egg that I planned on lasting for my kids. That's why people with skin in the game get mad. It's a trickle down economy and as the longer it lasts the trickle will be more like a bucket of [censored] dumped on a majority of the public that government cant fix. At that point some of this insanity will stop.

The more some people post the more I truly think they believe we can stay in this shelter in place mode for 12-18 months or longer and things will just miraculously be OK when we come out. The government will print more money and we can then get on with a normal life.

If this last that long better be armed if you venture out. Be a lot of homelessness and panic .The world would be a dangerous place. Hope it don’t come to that.
J D

I got all day I’m retired
Re: Our Economy is Dependent [Re: basscaster46] #13504868 04/06/20 03:09 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by basscaster46
Most people dont have enough money for it even to matter if they lose it. Money buys freedom and it buys choices, some of the fear mongers poo poo those who are pissed about how this is being handled as greedy, I dont give a rats arse about money, I care about the freedom I have gained by no debt, and a really nice nest egg that I planned on lasting for my kids. That's why people with skin in the game get mad. It's a trickle down economy and as the longer it lasts the trickle will be more like a bucket of [censored] dumped on a majority of the public that government cant fix. At that point some of this insanity will stop.

The more some people post the more I truly think they believe we can stay in this shelter in place mode for 12-18 months or longer and things will just miraculously be OK when we come out. The government will print more money and we can then get on with a normal life.

If this last that long better be armed if you venture out. Be a lot of homelessness and panic .The world would be a dangerous place. Hope it don’t come to that.
J D

It's funny my wife actually asked me if I had enough ammo. Lol

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide