Forums59
Topics1,039,218
Posts13,961,130
Members144,196
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Help for the few, or help for the multitudes? Virus thoughts... [Re: otay michael] #13502914 04/05/20 11:43 AM
Allison1 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
The US is giving a warning to citizens in Japan to return to America due to a spike in Covid19 cases in the last few days. Does that make sense?

Most all Japanese wear facemasks on the street. They still use transit by train on a large scale. They have not closed their restaurants but as many as can stay home working do so.
They did not stop international flights including flights from China since it happened. They do require isolation for people flying in. There are still flights from China to Japan today.

The numbers? In Japan they currently (4/5/20) have 3271 confirmed cases and 70 deaths. Japan has done almost 4 times per capita the number of tests that have been done in the US.
So are we doing it right? Apparently Japan is working together to keep their economy running and at the same time keeping themselves from spreading the virus.

Facemasks, IMO, along with common sense distancing and disinfecting surfaces are a huge benefit and would allow business to start back up.

Re: Help for the few, or help for the multitudes? Virus thoughts... [Re: Allison1] #13502927 04/05/20 12:05 PM
John175☮ Offline
MACHO MAN
MACHO MAN
Originally Posted by Allison1
Facemasks, IMO, along with common sense distancing and disinfecting surfaces are a huge benefit and would allow business to start back up.

That choice has been declined. We will remain closed. Parrot the propaganda or be insulted by the educated elites and then get sent to a reeducation camp.

“Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men.” -JFK
Re: Help for the few, or help for the multitudes? Virus thoughts... [Re: otay michael] #13502937 04/05/20 12:19 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
Originally Posted by Mike@972
Originally Posted by Tallgrass05
Amazing how quickly the sanctity of life, family values, and All Lives Matter got tossed aside.

How long of a list would you like? Cars can be safer, factories can be safer, construction sites can be safer, office buildings can be more secure, more police can be hired, more firehouses can be built, cigarettes can be outlawed, alcohol can be outlawed, dangerous intersections can be redesigned, new drugs can be manufactured... all of this can be better, but none of this has occurred to its absolute best in the interest of cost/return and civil freedoms.

As it relates to the coronavirus. Sooner or later the coronavirus death rate will need to be balanced against increased suicide rate due to bankruptcies, increased child abuse due to family stress, mental health due to isolation, increased alcohol consumption, increased risk of long term lay-offs, a generation of lost opportunity because college can no longer be afforded on a large scale, increased theft, and riots in the streets. Some of these things are already happening... all of these will happen if we have a complete economic collapse.

I am in agreement with the short term measures that have taken place. If they work, great (I am very sincere in saying "great"). However, if this thing does not have a natural curve or if we do not develop a cure/treatment, we will have to reopen soon. Like it or not, decisions like this are made every day out of necessity. To date, less than one-tenth of one percent of the US population are known to be infected. To date, no country has exceeded one half of one percent. Of these cases, 1 to 3% are dying.

I really don't mean to be crass when speaking about the loss of life. I do not take pain and suffering lightly. I do not take family mourning lightly (this is something many of us, including me, know all too well). Im just being realistic about the situation. I agree with the statement "the solution should not be worse than the problem itself"

Again, I don't mean to be crass. I simply accept that this is not a zero-sum game. Sad, but true.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, in their right in mind is suggesting a continuation of this through a complete economic collapse.

Balancing a 3% death rate against suicide due to bankruptcies, child abuse, etc.? The stimulus package provides $3400, no strings attached, to the average middle class family. Most of America is still working - well over 80%. Businesses are being given short term loans that can turn into grants if they keep from laying off too many people. I mean, what more do you want?

The government is essentially saying, "We're going to protect the sanctity of life and this is worth going into debt for. We're going to shut things down to protect people, but give away money so that this temporary situation doesn't impact people permanently. Let's all get through this together."

I mean, can you imagine this being handled more intelligently? It's a very smart plan. Never in my life have I supported any government action that puts us further into debt, until this. This is absolutely worth it and anyone who can't see that is just willfully ignorant. The idea that we should risk millions upon millions of our weak and elderly citizens so that businesses can be getting business revenue instead of government revenue is silly.

For anyone who feels like you do, I'd be very interested to know how many people are committing suicide each day. Well over 1,000 people are dying daily and the next two weeks will continue to get worse, and you could put a zero behind these numbers if the crazies had their way and all businesses stayed open. There's no way any level of suicide deaths are even close to that....

Finally, "the cure should not be worse than the problem." I have loved having Trump as president - I think he's handling this as well as you could expect and better than any other president that I've seen would have. But that statement was one of the worst of his presidency. The "cure" is economic woes. For some of us, they're nonexistent. For some, they're minor, and for some, they're serious. The "problem" is thousands dying daily. Pitting lives against the economy when it's clear he's talking thousands/millions of deaths versus temporary economic stress, is insane. Trump shouldn't have said it - he was right to be criticized for such a callous comment, and I'm glad he's basically abandoned it.

One last note - if truly "non-essential businesses" (those not in food/healthcare/utilities) would shut down, this shutdown would be over in 1-2 more weeks. Instead it's going to go on for months because so many people aren't taking it seriously. A mentality like this is actually what's creating the situation that they're complaining about. If we didn't have this kind of attitude, it this would all be over and the economic impact would be minimal and extremely temporary. But in America, selfishness always wins, and we're seeing the worst side of that manifest in this situation.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: Help for the few, or help for the multitudes? Virus thoughts... [Re: otay michael] #13502941 04/05/20 12:20 PM
Allison1 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Its changing. Maybe because we were not equipped to do what Japan did. I don't know.
I do think they intentionally misled the public on face masks early on because of the panic which would have ensued if we were told to wear them only they don't have them. But who knows.

But here is the reality. If everyone who is acting cavalier about it and chose to follow a regiment that would result in lower transmission rates, the numbers would go down and it would allow us to open up earlier. I still see many out in stores and in public (when I venture out) that aren't part of the solution. They are only making it worse.

Re: Help for the few, or help for the multitudes? Virus thoughts... [Re: Gusick] #13502965 04/05/20 12:35 PM
B
Bob Davis Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Originally Posted by Gusick
Japs, Chinese, American, Mexicans, Germans, Indians, or Egyptians,old, young, sick or healthy, we are all in this together.

Thanks for the "We are The World" handholding image, but remember where this all started and why.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: Help for the few, or help for the multitudes? Virus thoughts... [Re: Bob Davis] #13502980 04/05/20 12:46 PM
T
Tallgrass05 Offline
bill maher's protege
bill maher's protege
T
Originally Posted by Bob Davis
Japs, Chinese, American, Mexicans, Germans, Indians, or Egyptians,old, young, sick or healthy, we are all in this together.

Thanks for the "We are The World" handholding image, but remember where this all started and why.

I heard it's miraculously going to go away in April.

Re: Help for the few, or help for the multitudes? Virus thoughts... [Re: Tallgrass05] #13502987 04/05/20 12:49 PM
B
Bob Davis Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
B

Good, then there is hope.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: Help for the few, or help for the multitudes? Virus thoughts... [Re: Bob Davis] #13503003 04/05/20 12:58 PM
John175☮ Offline
MACHO MAN
MACHO MAN

Good, then there is hope.

It miraculously went away in china.

Re: Help for the few, or help for the multitudes? Virus thoughts... [Re: ReelBusy] #13503007 04/05/20 01:01 PM
O
Oldrabbit Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
O
Originally Posted by Hancock
Sometimes I feel like the actions taken shutting down businesses is akin to putting up a light and cross walk on the Interstate. It's sure enough going to reduce crossing fatalities but at what cost? More importantly, is there another approach to addressing the problem? In hindsight we should have shutdown inbound travel to the US rather than shutdown so much of the interior activity. I'm still floored the career people at the alphabet agencies didn't have a plan for this.

Can you imagine the uproar President Trump you have faced if he had shut down travel to other countries when this first came to light? He faced a firestorm from the LEFT when he suspended travel to China. I agree that it should have been done and everyone returning should have been quarantined in a secure facility for two weeks. This would've included commercial airplanes, private airplanes, cruise ships, private yachts, and closed both borders.

Re: Help for the few, or help for the multitudes? Virus thoughts... [Re: patriot07] #13503251 04/05/20 03:18 PM
M
Mike@972 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted by patriot07
Originally Posted by Mike@972
Amazing how quickly the sanctity of life, family values, and All Lives Matter got tossed aside.

How long of a list would you like? Cars can be safer, factories can be safer, construction sites can be safer, office buildings can be more secure, more police can be hired, more firehouses can be built, cigarettes can be outlawed, alcohol can be outlawed, dangerous intersections can be redesigned, new drugs can be manufactured... all of this can be better, but none of this has occurred to its absolute best in the interest of cost/return and civil freedoms.

As it relates to the coronavirus. Sooner or later the coronavirus death rate will need to be balanced against increased suicide rate due to bankruptcies, increased child abuse due to family stress, mental health due to isolation, increased alcohol consumption, increased risk of long term lay-offs, a generation of lost opportunity because college can no longer be afforded on a large scale, increased theft, and riots in the streets. Some of these things are already happening... all of these will happen if we have a complete economic collapse.

I am in agreement with the short term measures that have taken place. If they work, great (I am very sincere in saying "great"). However, if this thing does not have a natural curve or if we do not develop a cure/treatment, we will have to reopen soon. Like it or not, decisions like this are made every day out of necessity. To date, less than one-tenth of one percent of the US population are known to be infected. To date, no country has exceeded one half of one percent. Of these cases, 1 to 3% are dying.

I really don't mean to be crass when speaking about the loss of life. I do not take pain and suffering lightly. I do not take family mourning lightly (this is something many of us, including me, know all too well). Im just being realistic about the situation. I agree with the statement "the solution should not be worse than the problem itself"

Again, I don't mean to be crass. I simply accept that this is not a zero-sum game. Sad, but true.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, in their right in mind is suggesting a continuation of this through a complete economic collapse.

Balancing a 3% death rate against suicide due to bankruptcies, child abuse, etc.? The stimulus package provides $3400, no strings attached, to the average middle class family. Most of America is still working - well over 80%. Businesses are being given short term loans that can turn into grants if they keep from laying off too many people. I mean, what more do you want?

The government is essentially saying, "We're going to protect the sanctity of life and this is worth going into debt for. We're going to shut things down to protect people, but give away money so that this temporary situation doesn't impact people permanently. Let's all get through this together."

I mean, can you imagine this being handled more intelligently? It's a very smart plan. Never in my life have I supported any government action that puts us further into debt, until this. This is absolutely worth it and anyone who can't see that is just willfully ignorant. The idea that we should risk millions upon millions of our weak and elderly citizens so that businesses can be getting business revenue instead of government revenue is silly.

For anyone who feels like you do, I'd be very interested to know how many people are committing suicide each day. Well over 1,000 people are dying daily and the next two weeks will continue to get worse, and you could put a zero behind these numbers if the crazies had their way and all businesses stayed open. There's no way any level of suicide deaths are even close to that....

Finally, "the cure should not be worse than the problem." I have loved having Trump as president - I think he's handling this as well as you could expect and better than any other president that I've seen would have. But that statement was one of the worst of his presidency. The "cure" is economic woes. For some of us, they're nonexistent. For some, they're minor, and for some, they're serious. The "problem" is thousands dying daily. Pitting lives against the economy when it's clear he's talking thousands/millions of deaths versus temporary economic stress, is insane. Trump shouldn't have said it - he was right to be criticized for such a callous comment, and I'm glad he's basically abandoned it.

One last note - if truly "non-essential businesses" (those not in food/healthcare/utilities) would shut down, this shutdown would be over in 1-2 more weeks. Instead it's going to go on for months because so many people aren't taking it seriously. A mentality like this is actually what's creating the situation that they're complaining about. If we didn't have this kind of attitude, it this would all be over and the economic impact would be minimal and extremely temporary. But in America, selfishness always wins, and we're seeing the worst side of that manifest in this situation.

My post was speaking to the woses of prolonged shut down. I was explaining why the shut down cannot be extended to the point of a complete collapse. There will be great cost to a complete collapse.

Edit: some are expecting the shutdown to be extended through the entire curve. That will take months. That will collapse our economy.

Last edited by Mike@972; 04/05/20 03:29 PM.
Re: Help for the few, or help for the multitudes? Virus thoughts... [Re: otay michael] #13503314 04/05/20 03:46 PM
Allison1 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
It should be volatile, dynamic and constantly changing as we learn things. I think we know enough to change things that would both lower the spread and open business back up.

Impeach Trump, elect me for 3 months and I'll have this country rolling again. From your local mailman.

Re: Help for the few, or help for the multitudes? Virus thoughts... [Re: otay michael] #13503316 04/05/20 03:47 PM
F
Fish Chaser Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Hey fellows, you don't have to worry about what is the best way to take care of this problem, Pelosi, Schumer, et al will be hashing these things out on the liberal news media and in both houses of Congress as lond as Trump is in office ( I hope for another four years). In fact, they will probably file articles of impeachment against him for malfeasance and will spend millions upon millions upon millions of our dollars that could better be spent helping this nation to recover from this plague.

Re: Help for the few, or help for the multitudes? Virus thoughts... [Re: Allison1] #13503334 04/05/20 03:56 PM
John175☮ Offline
MACHO MAN
MACHO MAN
It should be volatile, dynamic and constantly changing as we learn things. I think we know enough to change things that would both lower the spread and open business back up.

Impeach Trump, elect me for 3 months and I'll have this country rolling again. From your local mailman.

You impeached Trump and Pelosi tore up his speech. I guess she didn't want to help the President stop the virus.

[Linked Image]

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/05/coronavirus-latest-updates.html

Re: Help for the few, or help for the multitudes? Virus thoughts... [Re: Duck_Hunter] #13503479 04/05/20 05:24 PM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
Originally Posted by the skipper
We will be fine. The economy shuts down pretty regularly during hurricane season for weeks on end lots worse than this. Once things clear up the economy will build back to where it was. We already mortgage companies giving breaks and others as will others. It will be tough, no doubt. If your one of the blessed ones, bless somebody else when they're in need. It will take everybody helping everybody. We will come out better and stronger, I have no doubt about that.

The entire nation’s economy shuts down because one or two states have to deal with a hurricane? I must have missed when the entire restaurant, agriculture, banking and real estate industries shut down because a storm hit the Carolinas.

A hurricane is a relatively limited natural disaster. It hits one or two areas of the coast and is guaranteed to be over in a few days to a week. Sure, the economic impact is bad, but the entire country is shut down right now except health care, grocery and pharmacy. The worst part is, no one has any idea when it will let up. Could be this month or it could be next year.

Tell me where a hurricane has raised those questions. Has there been a three month hurricane that shut down the entire country? Never worse than this, either. Ridiculous.

You must have also missed where not all that stuff is shut down now. Real estate is still selling here just like normal. Honestly theres still a whole lot open besides the dramatic response you have of it only being health care, groceries, and pharmacies. Is it bad, heck yea, but dont be over dramatic about it. Help who you can help or ask when you really need it. Again, it's going to take everybody helping everybody when they truly need it but we will be back without a doubt. Look around, drive to a lake, we are a LONG way from shut down. Evidently people arent to worried about finances either because they seem to be spending like a holiday vacation.

Re: Help for the few, or help for the multitudes? Virus thoughts... [Re: Allison1] #13503488 04/05/20 05:28 PM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T

We want to be climbing, not rolling off into a ditch

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide