Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Chine walk - why/how? [Re: JC Skeeter] #13500625 04/03/20 09:01 PM
C
CashFishingTeam Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
When I say drive through it i’m meaning drive through it because before you know how to drive it it’s going to start walking on you, so at that point don’t let off the gas or trim it down you will “drive through it”. But for those being super technical yes obviously once you know how to drive the boat it will not do that because you will make the corrections with your hands before it even starts to walk so there’s no driving through it. But at first that’s exactly what you’re going to have to do. I had a Bullet, and when I first got it I actually thought something was wrong with it!!! Lmao but once I learn how to drive it I really couldn’t even make it walk anymore it just came natural. And yes it will look kind of like how a little kid would look driving a car that was a good explanation!

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Chine walk - why/how? [Re: Okie Poke] #13500630 04/03/20 09:03 PM
dillydilly24 Offline
Angler
Angler
I stand corrected. You’re the first guy I’ve heard legitimately get that out of an FX. That’s awesome though. My cougar walked at 72 and once you got through it rode like a dream

Last edited by dillydilly24; 04/03/20 09:04 PM.

Life�s a garden, dig it
Re: Chine walk - why/how? [Re: JC Skeeter] #13500661 04/03/20 09:21 PM
Chris B Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Been seeing several folks posting about chine walking in the new FXR. Sounds like the new hull is not your typical drive with one finger boat that Skeeter has built for years.

[Linked Image]
I hate photobucket.
Re: Chine walk - why/how? [Re: Dubee] #13500696 04/03/20 09:41 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted by Dubee
Originally Posted by Ken A.
I am surprised your friend is experiencing chine walk in any new style Skeeter. That is not normal. It is possible something is wrong with the setup causing the chine walk but not likely. The first thing I would check would be the steering system. If there is any slack in the steering, possibly caused by air in the hydraulic lines, this could be the culprit. I would look there first.

With regard to the roostertail, a lot of very high performance boats with a manual jackplate will throw a very tall roostertail under acceleration. Once the hull begins to lift & the prop locks up the roostertail will fall to about the height of the cowling. These are boats like Allisons & Bullets that run best when the center of the prop shaft is 2-3 inches above the bottom of the pad. That is WAY above the height most boats will run efficiently. I've owned five Bullets and only one had a hydraulic jackplate on it.

Watch my friend's Bullet in this video. At 50 mph under acceleration the roostertail is 25 feet high due to the engine being so high on a static plate. Only boats capable of 85+ will benefit from the motor being this high. At about 80 the prop begins to lock up & the hull starts lifting from aerodynamics. See the roostertail drop down to about 3 feet.

Ken, from what i have heard. The new fxr will walk. It's a different hull from all previous skeeters. He just needs someone to show him

Very interesting wow

Re: Chine walk - why/how? [Re: JC Skeeter] #13500947 04/04/20 01:01 AM
JC Skeeter Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Thank you all again for the replies and help. It is funny, I am sure many of us are like this, but once I find something interesting I enjoy learning. I couldn't work much today because I was researching and talking to you guys.

Update: Just got back in off the water. I went ahead and raised my motor height to match his and we both went out. It got a little windy this afternoon so we had to run up the river some to find good water. We have different weight with regards to tackle but both weight about the same so overall I don't think there was that much difference in weight or set up. The only difference is I have had my prop worked by Mark's Custom Props and I have more cup. His started to chine walk at about 70% trim and he was doing 6050 rpm and 70.5 mph. Mine started the chine walk at about 3/4 trim (which is about 78-80% in the dial in a skeeter) and I was just at 5900 rpm and 73.5 mph and I had more throttle left. I continued through it just like you guys stated with the small choppy turns left/right and went to full trim (100%) at 6050 rpm and 75.2 mph but even then the walk was pretty bad. I really feel like I can get to 76 or maybe even 77 mph once I get it set right and more seat time.

These hulls are definitely different than the previous FX, but I still love the boat I just need to do some adjustments and it seems like it might take a little more "driving" than before where you could literally use one finger.

So question is, on each boat, the obvious thing to do I would assume would be to lower the motor just a touch, right? Like someone mentioned previously these new hulls might not need to be trimmed all the way up, it is highly possible that the optimum performance might be achieved at a different trim level but some adjustments may be needed to the motor height and a little more skilled driver. I want to get to around 6100 or so and run 75-76 mph at whatever trim and if a little chine walk starts that fine, but it would take a skilled driver to drive through what mine started to do today.

Re: Chine walk - why/how? [Re: JC Skeeter] #13501002 04/04/20 01:45 AM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by JC Skeeter
Thank you all again for the replies and help. It is funny, I am sure many of us are like this, but once I find something interesting I enjoy learning. I couldn't work much today because I was researching and talking to you guys.

Update: Just got back in off the water. I went ahead and raised my motor height to match his and we both went out. It got a little windy this afternoon so we had to run up the river some to find good water. We have different weight with regards to tackle but both weight about the same so overall I don't think there was that much difference in weight or set up. The only difference is I have had my prop worked by Mark's Custom Props and I have more cup. His started to chine walk at about 70% trim and he was doing 6050 rpm and 70.5 mph. Mine started the chine walk at about 3/4 trim (which is about 78-80% in the dial in a skeeter) and I was just at 5900 rpm and 73.5 mph and I had more throttle left. I continued through it just like you guys stated with the small choppy turns left/right and went to full trim (100%) at 6050 rpm and 75.2 mph but even then the walk was pretty bad. I really feel like I can get to 76 or maybe even 77 mph once I get it set right and more seat time.

These hulls are definitely different than the previous FX, but I still love the boat I just need to do some adjustments and it seems like it might take a little more "driving" than before where you could literally use one finger.

So question is, on each boat, the obvious thing to do I would assume would be to lower the motor just a touch, right? Like someone mentioned previously these new hulls might not need to be trimmed all the way up, it is highly possible that the optimum performance might be achieved at a different trim level but some adjustments may be needed to the motor height and a little more skilled driver. I want to get to around 6100 or so and run 75-76 mph at whatever trim and if a little chine walk starts that fine, but it would take a skilled driver to drive through what mine started to do today.

Leave the motor where it is and practice driving. Once you get the hang of it, it almost becomes second nature. From there you can play with motor height and trim to possibly squeeze a few more mph's out of it.

Re: Chine walk - why/how? [Re: JC Skeeter] #13501009 04/04/20 01:49 AM
JC Skeeter Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
By leaving the motor where it is and learning to drive through it, and I ask this because if I am understanding what I am learning, you actually 'can' drive through it and once passed it and you continue trimming you can reach the max potential? Or am I wrong and you really can't drive through it, but rather learn to handle it and not allow it to want to walk. Hope that makes sense?

Re: Chine walk - why/how? [Re: Frank the Tank] #13501037 04/04/20 02:15 AM
kevine80 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank
what brand boat? If it's a Triton, that's just what they do.

exactly --had a triton for years -if you drive a triton you can drive anything ( they are fast boats though) -have a skeeter now and it has its own tricks also!

Re: Chine walk - why/how? [Re: JC Skeeter] #13501046 04/04/20 02:27 AM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
this thread reminds me of the TFF of older days, civil and good information. well done gents cheers

Re: Chine walk - why/how? [Re: JC Skeeter] #13501053 04/04/20 02:32 AM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

Skeeter removed the pencil roll, lightened the hull and shortened the pad?

Look out Allison... there’s a new cat in town!

[Linked Image]
Re: Chine walk - why/how? [Re: kevine80] #13501055 04/04/20 02:34 AM
Happykamper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by kevine80
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank
what brand boat? If it's a Triton, that's just what they do.

exactly --had a triton for years -if you drive a triton you can drive anything ( they are fast boats though) -have a skeeter now and it has its own tricks also!

I have to disagree, I have had several tritons, one in particular would run over 82 gps, it was a 20XHP, it drove like it was on rails, had an 2005 and a 2007 that would touch 80, they both required a little driver input but was not bad at all, one thing i found out about a Triton, if the motor was set too low they would walk like crazy, most of mine liked the prop to be 2 to 2 1/2 inches below pad, B & B 26 Tempest prop.

[Linked Image]
Re: Chine walk - why/how? [Re: JC Skeeter] #13501064 04/04/20 02:41 AM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
By leaving the motor where it is and learning to drive through it, and I ask this because if I am understanding what I am learning, you actually 'can' drive through it and once passed it and you continue trimming you can reach the max potential? Or am I wrong and you really can't drive through it, but rather learn to handle it and not allow it to want to walk. Hope that makes sense?

As others have said, it’s a feeling in your butt and it’s before it ever walks. It takes seat time to learn and I don’t know of any substitute. You have to drive mine from 75-80 and then it smoothes out above 80.

You need the boat set up correctly though as there’s no substitute for that.

[Linked Image]
Re: Chine walk - why/how? [Re: JC Skeeter] #13501074 04/04/20 02:47 AM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J

Correct you don’t drive thru it. That is the most idiotic thing people always say about chine. People who know how to control it don’t have chine they are preventing it.

I wonder How many boats have been crashed or people ejected because someone posted. Get some nuts and drive thru it??

Re: Chine walk - why/how? [Re: Bryan O'] #13501146 04/04/20 03:43 AM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Bryan O'
Knowing what type of boat, motor and prop you're talking about would really help. Different hulls have different quirks. The most obvious thing to check, is if there is any slack in the steering? Assuming it's hydraulic steering, it may not have been bled correctly. Even though it's new, it's it could have been missed. Mine is rock solid above 74 mph, but then again, that's only when it's on the trailer...

This is what happened to me, steering seal was leaking and slack in the piston made the boat wag at top speed, didn't feel exactly like a chine walk but definitely unstable. I would call skeeter and have them tell you what the recommended prop to pad measurement is on that boat, then you can can know what motor height to start at and play with raising or lowering a little from there.

Last edited by SC-001; 04/04/20 03:47 AM.
Re: Chine walk - why/how? [Re: JacksonBean] #13501154 04/04/20 03:59 AM
Patta-whack Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by JacksonBean

As others have said, it’s a feeling in your butt and it’s before it ever walks. It takes seat time to learn and I don’t know of any substitute. You have to drive mine from 75-80 and then it smoothes out above 80.

You need the boat set up correctly though as there’s no substitute for that.

Remind me to put a block under your hot foot if I am fishing with you. Not sure I want to do 80+ with you driving
loco

Seriously though, agree completely with seat time making all the difference. My Champion would chine walk badly and over time I learned to make little tweaks of the wheel and keep it on the pad. It becomes second nature. The jack plate required a little adjustment to get peak performance, but it’s the loose nut behind the wheel that makes the most difference.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide