Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Chine walk - why/how? [Re: JC Skeeter] #13500278 04/03/20 04:54 PM
dillydilly24 Offline
Angler
Angler
Any boats going to try and walk on you if you’re going fast enough. My cat would walk at 72. As others have stated, steering needs to be tight and with some seat time you can learn to drive through it.

Life�s a garden, dig it
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Chine walk - why/how? [Re: JC Skeeter] #13500283 04/03/20 04:59 PM
C
CashFishingTeam Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Right!! DRIVE THRU IT! Put the engine back up to its original setting to get those lost RPMS back, grow a pair, and drive it like you stole it! Seriously though u just have to drive it. You should look like your fighting the steering wheel for lack of a better word. You can’t just hold it with one hand and cruise across the lake! You need to hold it at 10 and 2 and make little short corrections back and forth as it tries to walk off pad. But you’ll constantly be moving your hands “driving” it.

Re: Chine walk - why/how? [Re: JC Skeeter] #13500301 04/03/20 05:03 PM
C130 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Here’s some good info. I’m not familiar with Skeeters and driving them but if I’m throwing a rooster tail in my Bass Cat I’m trimmed way too high. But, obviously, it’s a totally different boat. Seat time will take care of it or have someone ride with him and might shorten the learning curve. I’m by no means an expert on chine walking but make sure he doesn’t chop the throttle once he starts experiencing it, just trim back down. Chopping the throttle can lead to bad things.

https://basscat.com/forum/groups/basscatowner/chine-walk-learning-to-control-it-my-experience/

Last edited by C130; 04/03/20 05:06 PM.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: Chine walk - why/how? [Re: dillydilly24] #13500304 04/03/20 05:04 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by dillydilly24
Any boats going to try and walk on you if you’re going fast enough. My cat would walk at 72. As others have stated, steering needs to be tight and with some seat time you can learn to drive through it.

75.8mph GPS in my FX20 and no chine walk, whatsoever. It is a very flat riding boat, though, IMHO. The FXR21 is a different hull than mine so I just don't know.

😎 Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions 😎

Re: Chine walk - why/how? [Re: Okie Poke] #13500320 04/03/20 05:14 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Okie Poke

75.8mph GPS in my FX20 and no chine walk, whatsoever. It is a very flat riding boat, though, IMHO. The FXR21 is a different hull than mine so I just don't know.

My boat trailer sways at 75....I drive through it at set the cruise at 80.
bolt

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Chine walk - why/how? [Re: JC Skeeter] #13500361 04/03/20 05:46 PM
D
Dubee Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
He needs to learn how to drive it. You don't drive through it. You stop it before it starts.

Re: Chine walk - why/how? [Re: SteezMacQueen] #13500371 04/03/20 05:52 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted by Okie Poke

My boat trailer sways at 75....I drive through it at set the cruise at 80.
bolt

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

😎 Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions 😎

Re: Chine walk - why/how? [Re: Dubee] #13500380 04/03/20 05:57 PM
Happykamper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Dubee
He needs to learn how to drive it. You don't drive through it. You stop it before it starts.

yep, trying to drive though it could get interesting

[Linked Image]
Re: Chine walk - why/how? [Re: Dubee] #13500386 04/03/20 06:03 PM
adam_p Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

This is the answer. Balancing the load in the boat can help some. As stated above it is all about small corrections in the steering wheel. With time you learn to feel it and it just comes natural. You could get in my boat and we could run into the mid 80s and you aren't going to notice the chine walk, but if you tried to drive it you are going to get scared and let out somewhere just north of 70.

Re: Chine walk - why/how? [Re: Dubee] #13500389 04/03/20 06:03 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak

That is what I was taught when I bought a Bullet. You cannot drive through it. You learn to adjust and not have it happen.

Re: Chine walk - why/how? [Re: Bryan O'] #13500403 04/03/20 06:16 PM
JC Skeeter Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Bryan O'
Regarding steering slack, (with Sea Star steering) the motor should move with just a small movement of the steering wheel. Easy to check on the trailer. If it has too much turn before the motor moves, it indicates that there is still air in the steering system. The slack reverses under load - when running, and the motor moves even though you're not turning the steering wheel. A little slack is normal, but if there is excess slack, it will result in the hull moving around at speed - chine walking.

I still suspect that everything is fine, and that all that is needed is seat time. Those are pretty impressive numbers for a Skeeter. I certainly can't get there

Thank you for this info, I am supposed to talk to him again tonight when he gets done working. He actually has to go in and I am luckily able to work from home so it is allowing so time to research this stuff.

I haven't gotten my new skeeter set up just right yet but I am close and will help him tinker with his. But I have owned 2 FX's prior to this new one and my most recent 2018 I had it up to 76-77 mph with just me and could drive it at WOT with one finger. This new one does drive a little different, I am guessing it is due to the new hull and weight but I haven't had enough seat time myself to figure out all the quirks.

I will be checking my steering though soon for the things you mentioned. But I am guessing that his issues are maybe just because the motor needs to be lowered little by little and no outlining issues.

Re: Chine walk - why/how? [Re: CashFishingTeam] #13500412 04/03/20 06:20 PM
JC Skeeter Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by CashFishingTeam
Right!! DRIVE THRU IT! Put the engine back up to its original setting to get those lost RPMS back, grow a pair, and drive it like you stole it! Seriously though u just have to drive it. You should look like your fighting the steering wheel for lack of a better word. You can’t just hold it with one hand and cruise across the lake! You need to hold it at 10 and 2 and make little short corrections back and forth as it tries to walk off pad. But you’ll constantly be moving your hands “driving” it.

This is exactly what I was reading in the link I posted earlier. According to that link and based upon what you are saying is, you literally will be turning opposite of the "walk" very quickly. Almost like a little kid pretending to drive a car of some kind where they are just turning the steering wheel back and forth rapidly?? But my question to this is, will this wear down your steering cable/throttle quicker? I mean granted we are never really running WOT that often but it all adds up you know.

I am asking only to play devils advocate here, if top end speed is the overall desired outcome should he leave it where it is and learn to drive through it or lower the motor a tiny bit at a time and find that location where it stops the walk but still allows high rpm's and as much speed as possible?

Re: Chine walk - why/how? [Re: JC Skeeter] #13500416 04/03/20 06:22 PM
D
Dubee Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by JC Skeeter
Originally Posted by CashFishingTeam

This is exactly what I was reading in the link I posted earlier. According to that link and based upon what you are saying is, you literally will be turning opposite of the "walk" very quickly. Almost like a little kid pretending to drive a car of some kind where they are just turning the steering wheel back and forth rapidly?? But my question to this is, will this wear down your steering cable/throttle quicker? I mean granted we are never really running WOT that often but it all adds up you know.

I am asking only to play devils advocate here, if top end speed is the overall desired outcome should he leave it where it is and learn to drive through it or lower the motor a tiny bit at a time and find that location where it stops the walk but still allows high rpm's and as much speed as possible?

Where are y'all located. Lots of us on here that will go teach him how to drive it

Re: Chine walk - why/how? [Re: JC Skeeter] #13500424 04/03/20 06:26 PM
InTheClear Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Less trim, more gas! There is such a thing as having it trimmed to high.

Re: Chine walk - why/how? [Re: JC Skeeter] #13500425 04/03/20 06:27 PM
JC Skeeter Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
To everyone saying learn how to stop it before it starts and not drive through it, can you give more detail or provide an article? I want to learn as well because I am planning on getting in the boat with him tomorrow and seeing what happens. Like I said, I have had a 2016 FX and 2018 FX prior to now also owning a new FXR and I personally can tell a difference in the hull and drive. But....I am not experiencing a chine walk in mine but am still tinkering with my set up so I guess it is something that could happen and I want to learn as much as possible in case I experience it as well.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide