texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175ā˜® 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
JDavis7873® 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,890
Posts13,954,913
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Denton Creek (Grapevine) [Re: prosise] #13480429 03/20/20 07:29 PM
P
Piscivore Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Nice ones!

Re: Denton Creek (Grapevine) [Re: prosise] #13481895 03/21/20 09:11 PM
E
Ed-n-eddy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
That was tremendous! clap thumb

1987 Whaler Super Sport 17, Yamaha 90
1981 Whaler Sport 13, Johnson 50
Re: Denton Creek (Grapevine) [Re: prosise] #13483674 03/23/20 05:05 AM
P
prosise Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Lake up @ 10 ft from 1 week ago. Dragged canoe down hill from TC park entrance which was closed. Putted around to the back road of the park which is under water. Shad are on the road area, but its work. Only 2 catfish,no crappie, or sandbass. Water is very high with much debris along shorelines. Saw many people out today, no current seen out at the mouth of the lake.. Going up the creek tomorrow to look around...

Re: Denton Creek (Grapevine) [Re: prosise] #13483694 03/23/20 06:26 AM
E
Ed-n-eddy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
Ya, the shad were tough. Did see you yesterday too.

Re: Denton Creek (Grapevine) [Re: prosise] #13485871 03/24/20 05:14 PM
H
Holzer Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
H
Can you guys send some of that extra water down to the San Antonio area?
Canyon and/or Medina will take whatever you can spare.

Holzer
My pic is gone frown
Re: Denton Creek (Grapevine) [Re: prosise] #13487574 03/25/20 04:49 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
3-24-20 info.. Parked at TC park entrance and dragged canoe down to the water. Putted around to the boat ramp to catch bait. Shad harder to find since water is over the banks. Got lucky and scored a dozen on one throw . Cannot see any current at the ramp as the water is migrating over such a wide area, but there is still much incoming water. No good on Crappie or sandbass anywhere down by the park. Went up about 2 miles torwards the 377 bridge, when we could see current we tried for some catfish and scored some small fish. Anywhere we saw gar we didn't get any bites.. Saw one boat going up for crappie but didn't see them come back down. Debris, logs, and trash pretty bad. Careful with boating up there. Most is drifting and as the wind changes, moves with the wind.. Saw a Bald Eagle which was very cool.. Didn't realize how big they actually are.. Heard that Texas Parks and Wildlife are closing many facilities, and parks. No cash use allowed, only self pay stations to be used. Haven't found solid info on individual lakes. TC park is closed, only foot traffic going in/out. Fishing not good enough to venture into the park anyway. Will update when flow settles down in a week. Jug lines, and catfish prob best for now.. water color looks real good at the mouth of the lake, semi-clearish brown tint. The land from TC park to the Beach (main lake) covered, water temp coming up quickly. Bass are hugging trees, timber. Did well on small largemouth males in this area. Using small brush hog (watermelon). No visual beds seen, but it will not be long..
Location of tree where Eagle spotted.. Suspect it was migrating North.. Google maps location

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 03/26/20 12:14 PM.
Re: Denton Creek (Grapevine) [Re: prosise] #13487840 03/25/20 07:52 PM
E
Ed-n-eddy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
Great post thumb

Re: Denton Creek (Grapevine) [Re: prosise] #13490896 03/27/20 08:53 PM
B
Bradley McCaw Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Was able to wear them out a few days ago. Had to weed through the dinks and settle for a lot of 10 inchers... Iā€™m curious how much longer we have? I have yet to find a pile of big females.

[Linked Image]

Re: Denton Creek (Grapevine) [Re: prosise] #13496904 04/01/20 02:58 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Me and Mason did some social distancing today. Launched at the first bridge north of Tractor supply in Roanoke. The water is flowing below this bridge, level is prob 12 feet higher than it was two weeks ago. We went about 2 miles above Henrietta Hole, and then fished every spot down to the Hole. Nothing but gar seen, no bites.
There is some current coming down Denton creek, at Henrietta Hole the south creek (Elizabeth Creek) is much clearer. At the hole you can see the waters join, Elizabeth Creek is typically too shallow and I have never gone up this branch. The clarity looks real good, did catch some small perch up in the creek but nothing else. We fished about 1 mile up the south creek (Elizabeth Creek) but nothing caught but some perch (small jigs doodle socking timber). We worked nearly every spot that is typically good down to the 377 bridge, nothing caught except a Spot Tail Gar. With the water so high it is tough working the edges. The vines and thorn bushes will reach out and grab your bait, and I am typically used to working the bottom (gravel) with a jig or tiny trap. Taught my son how to catch gar on a 2 Liter Bottle (jug line). Gar video About 1 mile above the 377 bridge the Gar were rolling heavily, with some 50lb line, a 2 liter bottle, and a shad we caught one in about 5 minutes. It was really fun seeing the gar pull the bottle around the creek. There are some large Alligator gar (4ish feet long) which I was hoping to get.
Caught shad under the 377 bridge (Denton Creek), the road which you can typically drive on is covered about 2-4 feet of water and this is the only spot we caught shad. Waded around and threw the cast net . Around the railroad pillars there is some long weeds, the larger 3-4" shad are in this area.. Also caught shad standing on the concrete downward area below the bridge. With the water being so high the creek is really deep, there is no steps at all. You could run a yacht, pleasure boat, or pontoon boat 2 miles above the Hole and not worry about hitting anything. You could go way above this but we were not going to go up further as I was not feeling that the fish were above this area.
We ended up at the mouth of the creek we launched at, the big log jam is a monster Log Jam. Crappie are there but not hot yet.. Still seeing many many gar, and this sight sums up the that spot. Unless your doodle socking crappie on a log jam you can keep moving. Picked up a body cam which I used today for fishing, worked well. Spent 9 hours in social distance mode on the creek and it was nice. Heard a massive crash on 377 at 7pm, road was shut down when we dragged the canoe out at 730ish. Will hit the creek next week, moon will be full and bite will start to get strong soon.. There is visible current going down denton creek, and the creek that goes under the bridge south of the bridge at 377(denton creek). We caught two 5ish pound catfish on shad here bottom is silted Short Cut Ceek. Will probably be taking the Champion up the creek next week, debris up the creek is clear and didn't see anything that concerned me.. Main lake is more of a problem than the creek at this point.. Didn't see anyone. Did locate two articles stating fishing was ok for shelter in place for Denton county. Family only, adhering to social distancing..

(Day before)We Stopped at he I-35 bridge (Denton Creek) yesterday and it looks like there is a bit more flow than normal, slightly stained. Water looks really good considering the amount of rain we have received. In a couple of weeks it will look even better.

Last edited by prosise; 04/01/20 03:13 PM.
Re: Denton Creek (Grapevine) [Re: prosise] #13497417 04/01/20 04:48 PM
T
TxDanFishMan Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by prosise
Me and Mason did some social distancing today. Launched at the first bridge north of Tractor supply in Roanoke. The water is flowing below this bridge, level is prob 12 feet higher than it was two weeks ago. We went about 2 miles above Henrietta Hole, and then fished every spot down to the Hole. Nothing but gar seen, no bites.
Taught my son how to catch gar on a 2 Liter Bottle (jug line). Gar video About 1 mile above the 377 bridge the Gar were rolling heavily, with some 50lb line, a 2 liter bottle, and a shad we caught one in about 5 minutes. It was really fun seeing the gar pull the bottle around the creek. There are some large Alligator gar (4ish feet long) which I was hoping to get.

(Day before)We Stopped at he I-35 bridge (Denton Creek) yesterday and it looks like there is a bit more flow than normal, slightly stained. Water looks really good considering the amount of rain we have received. In a couple of weeks it will look even better.

Enjoyed the short Gar video and the look on your son's face when he jumped.

Canoeing down a river or creek is such a fun way to enjoy the outdoors.

Slide right, coming in .... Fish On!
Re: Denton Creek (Grapevine) [Re: prosise] #13504200 04/06/20 01:25 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Fun day social distancing on the Creek.. Level looks like it dropped @ 10", not as much flow. color on the water is good, but the water is cold. Saw a boat up and they were having trouble like us. He said the water was 55 degrees, so I "think" they are down. We caught good shad at the 377 bridge, but it was work. Finally near the train pillars you will see a log jam, one cast supplied Mason bait for the day.. Went up from the 377 bridge and hit a couple spots with no luck. Putted up to Here: Spot below Hole . I fished for sandies & crappie and Mason cat fished. He caught 3 cats and one was a big Girl, I got my butt kicked again. All fish released, will post a video soon. "loved every minute of it.." One sandbass caught along the edge on a jig at the location on the map hugging the bank. Not used to this deep creek water, when the water warms up a skosh we are going to go way up.. Boat that we saw fished Elizabeth creek and said it was not any good.. Water looks good, but not worth going to the creek to fish.. If Mason keeps it up I may have to get him a login and have him put info on the forum in the catfish threads.. Cats were caught using shad along the edge in about 5 feet of water, think the creek is over 20 easily in some spots. Mosquitos are bad down by the bridges near foliage. Get some Deet or OFF for sure..

VIDEO from the Body Cam releasing the Big Girl: Cathy the Catfish

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 04/06/20 02:27 AM.
Re: Denton Creek (Grapevine) [Re: prosise] #13509823 04/09/20 01:34 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
4 Day Upate: Will give what info I have. Almost took the Champion on Monday but the only ramp that I know is open is Farris Branch. Farris Branch Boat Ramp (5$) That would be @ 10 gallons of gas, canoe used 1/3 gallon for both days.

Sand Bass: Poor in main creek with deep water. Need to find the end of creeks or go way way up to test.
Crappie : Fair (prob good if you knew what I was supposed to do). I typically just run into them fishing for Sandies.
Catfish: Very Good (using shad)
Bass: Tough at upper end.

Bait: Shad, still below the 377 bridge area, water dropping but still caught bait next to the log jam due west of the railroad pillar.. One cast had 12 shad, some @ 4-5" long. Threw around the other areas and caught 2 shad in about 20 throws. Tried at the other bridge closer to Roanoke but nothing caught.

Short-Cut. You can take the short cut if going to the Hole or above. The creek that bypasses the 377 bridge saves a little bit of time.. Use this at your own risk.
Creek has settled down and not much debris seen. Bypass Creek

(Apr-6)Up at the location I pinpointed on sunday where Mason caught the second big catfish. (about 1/2 mile down from the Hole). Best spot was here>> The big gravel step held the most fish>> Spot on creek We fished there on Monday and he did real good on catfish again. Fishing in the shallow edges of the creek from 5-7ft, not doing any good down in the deeper areas. He caught 8 nice cats and a big spot tail gar. I tried pretty hard for sandbass & crappie but only has a few bites with what I think were small crappie or perch.. Shifted to Catfish and got my butt kicked, which I love to see. Little man has a real good plastic worm feel and it shines when he is cat fishing. He likes to drag it very, very slowly sometimes and did real good allowing them to take it and cross their eyes... Saw a boat pass up heading up on monday. He said he went about a mile above the hole but only caught small fish.

(Apr-8)Beach/Mouth of Lake: Peninsula We fished the Beach and the Peninsula yesterday afternoon. Water temp still cool, and stained. Did terrible out here. No bait seen, fished all the way up to the bank where the water color clears up & temp is warmer. Not seeing anything up here. No bites on worm on all timber. I can see quite a few birds out in main lake that appear to be chasing shad.. Looked like sandies were schooling and birds working as well. Went out and checked a couple of groups of birds and its not fish/bait.. Migrating birds doing some kind of socializing. Saw several boats also go check them out and they went on as well. Water is stained and there is some flow coming out of the creek.. The wind was moving water on the surface across the point. Tried log jams/piles and timber with no bites. Needs to warm up a bit. Saw many boats coming out of the creek. Did not try to catch shad at beac because its so deep..

Creek that goes up into Trophy Club is holding sand bass way up but did'nt spend much time there. More looking up there than fishing. Tune up on Suzuki showed good results testing motor. Going to go back there and also to the creek that dead ends at 1171 on Sunday.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 04/09/20 02:21 PM.
Re: Denton Creek (Grapevine) [Re: prosise] #13509987 04/09/20 02:44 PM
B
Bentman63 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Nice cats. I would love to drop some jug noodles I made there.

[Linked Image]
Re: Denton Creek (Grapevine) [Re: prosise] #13509998 04/09/20 02:51 PM
B
Bradley McCaw Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted by prosise

Creek that goes up into Trophy Club is holding sand bass way up but did'nt spend much time there. More looking up there than fishing. Tune up on Suzuki showed good results testing motor. Going to go back there and also to the creek that dead ends at 1171 on Sunday.

What creek are you mentioning here?

Re: Denton Creek (Grapevine) [Re: prosise] #13510097 04/09/20 03:36 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
The two creeks I am referring to are Marshall Branch & the one near Cross Timbers Trail head. The bike trail goes around the edge, but is under water.

Marshall Branch that goes up into TC TC Creek . Since the lake is so far up you have to go up a bit to hit the creek. The creek that heads up to 1171 is a real good creek and should be good depth and conditions for sand bass. Creek 1171 Only thing is I don't like going up into the shallow creeks in the canoe, especially if they are silted like these two. The creek will go way back and get very narrow, narrow enough that you coundn't turn a long kayak around. I will paddle up when I get to @ 10ft and then walk or paddle only. Just do not want to mess with the Females in these tiny creeks. They need to take care of business. We will peak into these areas but don't spend much time in them at this point.

Prosise

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide