Print Thread
Should I switch? #13494569 03/30/20 07:40 PM
T
t3e871 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
I have had Lowrance electronics on my boats for the past 20+ years. Technology outpaced my learning curve several years ago and I stuck with old 2D sonar and basic mapping forever. Recently I bought a Ranger RT188P and added a Hook 2 9 on the console with a triple shot transducer and a hook 2 7 on the bow. I thought these would be just fine for me, as I am a seasonal hobby fisherman, nothing hardcore. Bow is using the ultrex transducer so no downscan (I didn't realize this drawback, when I had dealer move the 7 from the console and install a new 9 in its place). Down and side scan on the console-mounted Hook2-9 , were ok, but did not overly excite me. I was hoping for a lot more detail and a better picture since I have not used this new technology before. I am also not impressed with the maps and navigation features on these units, even by adding the Navonics chip, still not happy. On my 3rd trip to the lake, console quit reading the bottom, I tried to reset, etc...gave up, went to the ramp and found the triple shot transducer broken in half. I don't think I hit anything but waves! This seems to be a very crappy transducer and I was ready to change all of my electronics and get something better. I've been researching all options for a week or so (self-isolation), and feeling very overwhelmed. I thought I was going to go all Garmin for the panoptics livescope, since I do like to crappie fish. Then I looked at the humminbirds, I like that I can connect to the ultrex, but not much else that convinces me on those units. Both of these options will cost a few thousand to make that switch, so I started looking at options with upgrading my Lowrance units. It seems that to get a decent setup I will just have to dump both of the Hooks and start over, again several thousand $. Of course with the current economy in question, I probably should just get a new triple shot transducer and try to reinforce it and get back to fishing...what would you do??

Attached Files IMG_9080.jpg
Re: Should I switch? [Re: t3e871] #13494599 03/30/20 07:54 PM
Rob Jasper Lowrance Pro-Staff Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
If you can work it in your budget move up in the product line. You will be happier if you move up the product line and go with either the Elite Ti2 or better the LIVE unit(s) with the Active Imaging Structure Scan. I will send you a PM.

Rob Jasper
Re: Should I switch? [Re: t3e871] #13494669 03/30/20 08:41 PM
Allison1 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
One thing I would advise is to maybe put the transducer higher up the transom. Its really exposed that low.

I have dual transducers in the back, the in hull for running the lake and the transom mount works fine mounted several inches up the transom when off plane.

Re: Should I switch? [Re: Allison1] #13495679 03/31/20 02:38 PM
T
t3e871 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by Allison1
One thing I would advise is to maybe put the transducer higher up the transom. Its really exposed that low.

I have dual transducers in the back, the in hull for running the lake and the transom mount works fine mounted several inches up the transom when off plane.

I'll try that with the next one. This one (pictured above) did not read depth at all when moving above 8-10 mph. I thought I should at least get a depth reading when on plane?

Last edited by t3e871; 03/31/20 02:38 PM.
Re: Should I switch? [Re: Rob Jasper Lowrance Pro-Staff] #13495691 03/31/20 02:42 PM
T
t3e871 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by Rob Jasper Lowrance Pro-Staff
If you can work it in your budget move up in the product line. You will be happier if you move up the product line and go with either the Elite Ti2 or better the LIVE unit(s) with the Active Imaging Structure Scan. I will send you a PM.

Thanks! I just ordered the Elite 9 Ti2 with the 3 in 1 transducer. We'll see how it works out.

Re: Should I switch? [Re: t3e871] #13495931 03/31/20 04:33 PM
W
Wayne P. Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by t3e871

I'll try that with the next one. This one (pictured above) did not read depth at all when moving above 8-10 mph. I thought I should at least get a depth reading when on plane?

On-plane means the bottom of the hull is on the water's surface. If the transducer is not also at the bottom of the hull, it is not in the water so it can't give you a depth reading.

Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G3N and G4N, 1198c SI, SOLIX 10 SI G3,
Helix 8 MEGA SI+ GPS G4N, SOLIX 12 SI and G3, MEGA 360, MEGA LIVE TL, RC-1
Re: Should I switch? [Re: Allison1] #13496111 03/31/20 06:22 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F

He has an ALUMINUM boat, so he can't put a transducer in the bilge to shoot through the hull like you're doing on your fiberglass hull. He also mentions not being able to read anything above 8-10 mph. I'm not surprised by that as he has the transducer raised up from the bottom of the hull.

To the OP. Do you have an aversion to mounting an external downscan transducer on the trolling motor? Many of us do not use the traditional sonar transducer in some TMs for this reason. I don't know if your bow unit will support downscan or not as I only use HDS units. The external dual transducer I put on the TM wasn't very expensive.

Re: Should I switch? [Re: Flippin-Out] #13496223 03/31/20 07:27 PM
T
t3e871 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out

He has an ALUMINUM boat, so he can't put a transducer in the bilge to shoot through the hull like you're doing on your fiberglass hull. He also mentions not being able to read anything above 8-10 mph. I'm not surprised by that as he has the transducer raised up from the bottom of the hull.

To the OP. Do you have an aversion to mounting an external downscan transducer on the trolling motor? Many of us do not use the traditional sonar transducer in some TMs for this reason. I don't know if your bow unit will support downscan or not as I only use HDS units. The external dual transducer I put on the TM wasn't very expensive.

Thanks, and no I don't have a problem mounting a transducer on the trolling motor. I ordered the Elite 9 Ti2 with 3 in 1 for the console and will mount that 3 in 1 on the transom. So I then plan to move the hook2 9 to the bow, and get a new transducer for the trolling motor that will support the Downscan. Not sure what model that would be yet, trying to research that now.

Re: Should I switch? [Re: Wayne P.] #13496227 03/31/20 07:29 PM
T
t3e871 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by Wayne P.

On-plane means the bottom of the hull is on the water's surface. If the transducer is not also at the bottom of the hull, it is not in the water so it can't give you a depth reading.

I am going to have to get someone to drive while I lay on the back of the boat and look at the water line. I don't think I'll be able to mount a transducer on that plate that will give me readings while cruising around with the big motor. What are others doing to get depth readings on aluminum boats?

Re: Should I switch? [Re: t3e871] #13496236 03/31/20 07:35 PM
W
Wayne P. Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by Wayne P.

I am going to have to get someone to drive while I lay on the back of the boat and look at the water line. I don't think I'll be able to mount a transducer on that plate that will give me readings while cruising around with the big motor. What are others doing to get depth readings on aluminum boats?

There is no "water line" when the hull is on plane, the boat is on TOP of the water.
The water's surface and hull bottom are at the same place.

Last edited by Wayne P.; 03/31/20 07:36 PM.

Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G3N and G4N, 1198c SI, SOLIX 10 SI G3,
Helix 8 MEGA SI+ GPS G4N, SOLIX 12 SI and G3, MEGA 360, MEGA LIVE TL, RC-1
Re: Should I switch? [Re: t3e871] #13496265 03/31/20 07:52 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
"There is no "water line" when the hull is on plane, the boat is on TOP of the water.
The water's surface and hull bottom are at the same place." .........and your transducer is too far above that surface. The plate on the back of your boat was not mounted in a feasible location or orientation. It should have been parallel to the hull and closer to the bottom edge of the transom. This could be remedied by placing a larger plate of starboard on the back of the boat, extending below the hull, then drilling from inside the hull using the existing mounting holes for the plate. After bolting the plate in place, mark the bottom edge to be 1/8 inch above the hull bottom, remove the plate, and cut that line, then reinstall. At that point, a transducer could be properly mounted on the plate to get readings on or off plane.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide