Print Thread
MK ULTERRA ISSUES #13489887 03/27/20 01:51 AM
V
Vicjay Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
V
I have a 24V ulterra. Couple days ago it powered off a couple times. Didnt think much of it. Just bent over and turned it back on and went on. Today had been using it for a few hours. Went to start it up with the remote. It was on high power. Immediately it surge forward and shut down again. This time never would power back up. Manually stowing the thing was a pain in the butt. Easier next time but hope that never happens ! I have 2 new batteries. Checked them with meter. 13v at the battery and 13v at the receptical. Checked all connections for something loose. No issues. Assuming something internal on the TM ?? Anyone have an experiance like this ? Or ideas on what to look for. About 3 hrs from nearest service center so thought id try my hand at it first befor making the trip. Thanks for any advice

Re: MK ULTERRA ISSUES [Re: Vicjay] #13489961 03/27/20 03:19 AM
L
lurenthewind Offline
Angler
Angler
L
Have someone check the batteries under a load--even if they are new. It is possible to get a bad battery and the Ulterra is REALLY sensitive to voltage. Anything under 24V and it won't work. I have a 24V Ulterra on my boat as well. Last time out I had the same issue. My batteries were flooded Lead acid and were Dec 2017 date coded. Showed a full charge when I left home but after the trolling motor quit working I checked them again when I got home and one was down to about 10.8V.

I replaced both batteries with AGM batteries. Have not been out yet because of this stupid Coronavirus.

Wayne

Luck will beat skill any time you have enough of it!
Re: MK ULTERRA ISSUES [Re: Vicjay] #13490036 03/27/20 10:00 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
You need to measure the voltage under load. No load voltage measurements are basically meaningless, especially if you've just had a charger attached. A preferred load would be the TM running in the water. Why? Because spinning the prop in the air out of the water places a lot less load on the batteries. I see you're new, so I have to ask: Are your batteries maintenance-capable? ...this means do they have caps that allow you to add distilled water, and have you ever checked this? If you haven't, you may have already ruined one or both batteries. Be sure you understand what "full" is (I't not filled to the top). The highest probability is battery issues, not the TM. You know you have to charge the batteries, right? (We've actually had people asking questions who didn't realize this.)

Re: MK ULTERRA ISSUES [Re: Vicjay] #13490712 03/27/20 05:51 PM
V
Vicjay Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
V
Update !! Was electrical issue. It has a "ranger style" plug. removed outer cover of the plug and checked those screws for tightness. One was loose !! Now i have a new issue. As far as stowing goes it is out of sync with the base when it comes up. Anyone have ideas on this ? I will try and contact someone at MK too. Called the closest repaire center to me but their closed til april 28 because of the virus thing. Hope this all ends sooner then later !! Regarding some comments above the batteries are new (november) sealed pro guide AGM batteries. Been thru a dozen charging cycles. Awesome batteries. I have fished 3 full days without a charge. No noticeable drop off. The way the batteries perform automatically made me think it was a TM issue. Will remember to check the small details before assuming the worst !! Thanks for all your input

Re: MK ULTERRA ISSUES [Re: Vicjay] #13490733 03/27/20 06:03 PM
V
Vicjay Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
V
Sorry to bug you guys with the last post. Found a video on You Tube. Reset complete !! Thanks again

Re: MK ULTERRA ISSUES [Re: Vicjay] #13490946 03/27/20 09:36 PM
T
texasbass1 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Glad you figured it out. If you have to manually stow them the have to be reindexed to work properly again. Good thing You tube is out there to help

Pat Leach
USAF MSgt Retired
92 Procraft 180 Pro
24 Mercury 150 Pro XS 4 Stroke
Minn Kota Ulterra 80
Re: MK ULTERRA ISSUES [Re: Vicjay] #13491416 03/28/20 03:44 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Glad you're all set. But, if you want to get the best performance from any battery, I have a comment on something you said: "I have fished 3 full days without a charge." NEVER NEVER NEVER do that!!!!

Any lead acid battery has a rapid drop-off curve when used, and this includes AGM. The farther out that curve you push the battery, the more "wear and tear" it puts on the plates. Manufacturers state to never use the battery past 50% state of charge. The voltage representing that point is NOT linear. It varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, but is always ABOVE 12 volts. So, it doesn't take much voltage drop to get there. NEVER pass up an opportunity to connect the charger and get those batteries back to 100%. They do not develop "memory" and will last you a LOT more cycles of service.

Another best use practice is to charge the batteries ASAP after use. Don't let them sit discharged, and only plug the charger in the night before you plan to fish again. Very bad for batteries.

Re: MK ULTERRA ISSUES [Re: Vicjay] #13492405 03/29/20 12:54 AM
V
Vicjay Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
V
[censored] !! Thought i had it figured out. Back to square one !! So got it operating correctly on the trailer as far as stow and deploy. Never once did it shut off. Replaced batteries in remote. Removed the middle cover plate and checked all connections inside that. Went to lake to test it out. Deployed fine. Stowed fine. Set the anchor mode and about 30-45 seconds later it shut down. It would not turn back on at this point. I then unplugged it at the bow and plugged back in. At this point it would turn back on. Kinda like a reset thing ?? Then i went to the batteries and checked with meter and both read 12.65v. I then had my wife turn on the TM and engage the prop (7 speed) while i had the meter on the battery. It dropped to 12.55v and stayed there for another 30 seconds or so till it shut off again. Had to unplug and plug back in again to get it to power on. Went thru this same process another 6 times with same results everytime. Then just came home. Aggravating to say the least. Its done the same thing for most part with old batteries last fall and new ones this spring. Only difference was with the old ones it would just randomly shut down and then i would lean over and turn it back on. Do this 2-3 times an outing. So now it shuts down and takes an extra step to turn back on ! Any more thoughts out there ??
As far as the comments above on the 3 day thing. First time i did that. I always plug in the charger when i get home. I was on a trip and the motel i was at had no access to outside outlets so i was forced into the situation.
Thanks for all the previous help and an early thanks to any future help !

Re: MK ULTERRA ISSUES [Re: Vicjay] #13492653 03/29/20 06:30 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
So I gather you have a 24V model, and both batteries read the same at rest and again, same V on each battery under load out on the water. That slight drop is expected under load and was a good test, and I no longer suspect a battery issue. You probably have a controller board that has a gremlin that has been with you all along.

There's one other possibility. You were measuring at the battery posts I presume. What type of circuit breaker do you have? A flaky breaker could be tripping, but then reset itself when you completely remove the load. You might think about replacing the breaker as a shotgun wild shot. They don't cost much.

Re: MK ULTERRA ISSUES [Re: Vicjay] #13493297 03/29/20 10:05 PM
V
Vicjay Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
V
Dang I should've thought about replacing the breaker. I did check it with the meter and it seemed ok. I will do that next. Thks

Re: MK ULTERRA ISSUES [Re: Vicjay] #13493557 03/30/20 01:39 AM
L
lurenthewind Offline
Angler
Angler
L
I have a 24V Ulterra. I put a 60 AMP re-setable breaker in the bilge. If you have a re-setable breaker, next time it quits, check the voltage coming out of the breaker before you do anything else. That should tell you if the breaker has tripped. Might not work if you have a beaker that will reset itself when it cools off after a spike. My breaker has push button on it that you have to manually push to reset it if it trips.

Wayne

Luck will beat skill any time you have enough of it!
Re: MK ULTERRA ISSUES [Re: Vicjay] #13493966 03/30/20 01:43 PM
V
Vicjay Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
V
Yep i have a 50amp self resetting breaker. Manual does say to use a 60amp . Soon as i can find a 60amp with self reset button i will replace it and head to the lake. Hopefully i will get this worked out before the crappie spawn here. 2-3 weeks here in MO !!

Thanks

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide