Forums59
Topics1,037,835
Posts13,935,321
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: A DOctor's perspective on the COVID 19 [Re: JacksonBean] #13492800 03/29/20 01:37 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by JacksonBean

You’re correct. It’s everyone’s personal choice how they choose to stay safe in these crazy times.

At first they were carefully rationing those to hospital workers where aerosols are generated routinely but I can assure you that if I was up at a hospital I’d be wearing one.

We all need to take precautions so I’ll happily retract my statement. wink

No need to retract the statement. You are probably right. I very much appreciate your highly informed fact sharing and opinions on our situation. It's much needed on this site!

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: A DOctor's perspective on the COVID 19 [Re: badgrandad] #13492803 03/29/20 01:38 PM
donothin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
A question for some of those who know the science and are not just speculating. Does flattening the curve reduce the number who get the virus or does it just spread it out so that those who have it will be able to get into the hospital if needed? I know I am not very well informed about the details, but it seems to me that it doesn't really reduce the number who get it, but increases their chances of survival by giving them access to medical care which they may not otherwise be able to get.

Re: A DOctor's perspective on the COVID 19 [Re: WAWI] #13492805 03/29/20 01:39 PM
9094 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by WAWI
Are you also sanitizing the toilet paper you hoarded?

I tried washing mine with hot water before I used it. Sure is hard to get back on the roll.

Re: A DOctor's perspective on the COVID 19 [Re: donothin] #13492813 03/29/20 01:46 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by donothin
A question for some of those who know the science and are not just speculating. Does flattening the curve reduce the number who get the virus or does it just spread it out so that those who have it will be able to get into the hospital if needed? I know I am not very well informed about the details, but it seems to me that it doesn't really reduce the number who get it, but increases their chances of survival by giving them access to medical care which they may not otherwise be able to get.

In theory it does not reduce the number who get it, it only spreads it out over time. That said, I think there is a chance that buying time will help science come up with solutions that could reduce the total number infected.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: A DOctor's perspective on the COVID 19 [Re: JacksonBean] #13492819 03/29/20 01:52 PM
R
ReelBusy Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R

There’s a reason for that Gig. Masks are for the sick people. It’s so you don’t infect others with YOUR germs. If you’re sick, you should be at home. That’s not to say there’s not a group at Walmart that might open mouth sneeze on you but Covid 19 has to be in a droplet. You can’t breathe it in like the measles or a true aerosol contagion.

If you see someone walking around with a mask on it’s really only for one of three reasons:

1) You’re sick
2) You’re uneducated regarding the specifics of the virus
3) You need it as a reminder to not touch your face

Other great choices might be that you’re Chinese or just making a fashion statement. That’s why the social distancing works. Your snot, saliva, etc leaves the area when you do. Other viruses don’t play so nice.

Stay safe folks,
JB

P.S. Before you post a link where someone says it’s an aerosol, check Medline for peer reviewed literature to back up the claim.

wink

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-can-spread-as-an-aerosol.html

The novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 can survive in the air for several hours in fine particles known as aerosols, according to preliminary research.

The coronavirus, which causes the respiratory infection COVID-19, can be detected up to 3 hours after aerosolization and can infect cells throughout that time period, the study authors found. The study, first posted March 10 on the preprint database medRxiv, is still preliminary, because it has not undergone extensive peer-review. The authors did receive comments from one prospective scientific journal, and posted an updated version of the study on March 13 reflecting the revisions.

Re: A DOctor's perspective on the COVID 19 [Re: John175☮] #13492822 03/29/20 01:54 PM
T
Tallgrass05 Offline
bill maher's protege
bill maher's protege
T
Originally Posted by John175☮
Originally Posted by Tallgrass05
That's why you're not a medical doctor or an epidemiologist.

Are you? I don't think medical doctors or an epidemiologist care about the economy or the destruction they are doing.

And just like that, all the folks who said "All lives matter" decided the stock market mattered more.

[Linked Image]

Re: A DOctor's perspective on the COVID 19 [Re: Tallgrass05] #13492827 03/29/20 01:59 PM
John175☮ Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Originally Posted by John175☮
That's why you're not a medical doctor or an epidemiologist.

Are you? I don't think medical doctors or an epidemiologist care about the economy or the destruction they are doing.

And just like that, all the folks who said "All lives matter" decided the stock market mattered more.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

“Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men.” -JFK
Re: A DOctor's perspective on the COVID 19 [Re: badgrandad] #13492846 03/29/20 02:12 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

So no peer review Hancock? I wonder why not? wink

[Linked Image]
Re: A DOctor's perspective on the COVID 19 [Re: JacksonBean] #13492850 03/29/20 02:14 PM
R
ReelBusy Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R

Because it was only published 2 weeks ago Dr.?

Re: A DOctor's perspective on the COVID 19 [Re: donothin] #13492853 03/29/20 02:15 PM
T
Tallgrass05 Offline
bill maher's protege
bill maher's protege
T
Originally Posted by donothin

Even if it does not change the number of people who get infected, it will save lives because the healthcare system won't be overwhelmed. That's the whole idea.

Re: A DOctor's perspective on the COVID 19 [Re: John175☮] #13492854 03/29/20 02:15 PM
I
Icepick Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I
Originally Posted by John175

[Linked Image]

So you want to go ahead and get the coronavirus hoping you can recover at home but knowing that you could end up in a hospital where 440,000 die every year from medical errors?
Makes perfect sense.

This thread needs more cowbell ...
[Linked Image]

Re: A DOctor's perspective on the COVID 19 [Re: ReelBusy] #13492856 03/29/20 02:17 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Hancock

That would be one way to look at it but we’d have to ignore 98% of the other information available to us and that’s hard to do.

[Linked Image]
Re: A DOctor's perspective on the COVID 19 [Re: 9094] #13492866 03/29/20 02:22 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by 9094
Originally Posted by WAWI
Are you also sanitizing the toilet paper you hoarded?

I tried washing mine with hot water before I used it. Sure is hard to get back on the roll.

Lol I have some rolls if you run out, you can pick them up from me down the road at HC while I'm fishing there this week.

Re: A DOctor's perspective on the COVID 19 [Re: JacksonBean] #13492875 03/29/20 02:29 PM
R
ReelBusy Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R

That would be one way to look at it but we’d have to ignore 98% of the other information available to us and that’s hard to do.

CDC doesn't seem as certain as you do.

Mode of transmission: Early reports suggest person-to-person transmission most commonly happens during close exposure to a person infected with COVID-19, primarily via respiratory droplets produced when the infected person coughs or sneezes. Droplets can land in the mouths, noses, or eyes of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs of those within close proximity. The contribution of small respirable particles, sometimes called aerosols or droplet nuclei, to close proximity transmission is currently uncertain. However, airborne transmission from person-to-person over long distances is unlikely.

Re: A DOctor's perspective on the COVID 19 [Re: ReelBusy] #13492889 03/29/20 02:46 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

CDC doesn't seem as certain as you do.

Mode of transmission: Early reports suggest person-to-person transmission most commonly happens during close exposure to a person infected with COVID-19, primarily via respiratory droplets produced when the infected person coughs or sneezes. Droplets can land in the mouths, noses, or eyes of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs of those within close proximity. The contribution of small respirable particles, sometimes called aerosols or droplet nuclei, to close proximity transmission is currently uncertain. However, airborne transmission from person-to-person over long distances is unlikely.

I’m not sure how we disagree. That’s exactly what I’ve read and believe. The NEJM article you referenced earlier will never withstand scientific scrutiny because it doesn’t mimic anything found in nature. There model was from data generated subjecting particles to jet collision nebulizers and yes, some suspended for three hours. It begs the question though..... How many jet collision nebulizers do you come in contact with? Read the critiques from their colleagues and yes..... in as little as two weeks.

[Linked Image]
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide