Page 1 of 2 1 2
New to Texas #13491927 03/28/20 05:24 PM
D
Deltabass Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Moved here a few months back, and only have fished Lewisville since I live a few minutes away. Want to try Ray Roberts or Ry Hubbard, which is a better bet? Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: New to Texas [Re: Deltabass] #13491953 03/28/20 05:42 PM
Bandit 200 XP Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
welcome

Triton 200 XP
200 Yamaha 0X66
Re: New to Texas [Re: Deltabass] #13492010 03/28/20 06:25 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Welcome to TFF. Glad you are here. I like Roberts; but that is because I live close and don't get to fish Hubbard much. Roberts is a late spawning lake and they are just getting started. They will hold off until the Dam shuts down and the falling water stabilizes. The rains have to stop so it can stabilize and that may not happen. We need hot weather and lots of it to put the Bass up there long enough to get the job done. For the last 5 years you hardly realized the spawn was taking place as some could only be found here and there; with nothing consistent for any length of time.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: New to Texas [Re: Deltabass] #13492134 03/28/20 08:20 PM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
you from the cali delta? RR is a better bass lake.

Re: New to Texas [Re: Deltabass] #13492169 03/28/20 08:47 PM
dillydilly24 Offline
Angler
Angler
Hubbard is way easier to navigate. Roberts fishes better once you know it and it’s not close.

Life�s a garden, dig it
Re: New to Texas [Re: Deltabass] #13492176 03/28/20 08:51 PM
S
S Fatherree Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by Deltabass
Moved here a few months back, and only have fished Lewisville since I live a few minutes away. Want to try Ray Roberts or Ry Hubbard, which is a better bet? Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Most all of the lakes in the northeast Texas area are solid bass fisheries but between Ray Roberts and Ray Hubbard I would personally choose Ray Roberts. It seems like the lake has a lot more hard cover and is a bit easier to locate large groups of heavy largemouth. I love the amount of rocks that are on certain areas of Ray Roberts, especially when they are on secondary points just outside warmer water wind protected spawning flats/pockets. One of my favorite search baits on Ray Roberts is a red/brown or chartreuse/orange throat colored squarebilled crankbait. Often times on Ray Roberts when you locate a few fish this time of year with a search bait there are many more in the area that can be caught on soft plastics or swimbaits if the wind and water clarity are good. On low pressure days or when you have a west / southern wind many other lures will also work. Like many of the lakes in this area of the country be very careful when running your vessel at more than idle speed on both of those fisheries as there is a lot of submerged timber that can do some significant damage to your boat. Drive safely, wear your life jacket, and have a great day on the water. I hope this helps!

Respectfully,

SM Fatherree
www.lakeforkguidelanes.com
Re: New to Texas [Re: senko9S] #13492185 03/28/20 08:59 PM
1oldbassguy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by senko9S

I have fished both , California Delta and Ray Rob --- there is no way Ray Rob is as good as the Delta . Your chance of getting a DD at the Delta is much higher . Ray Rob is a good lake , and when the largemouth are slow --- you can have some fun with sandies .
My biggest complaint for the Delta ---- way more dangerous place to boat . Because it has so many narrow water passages ---- guys still feel the need to pass by @ 70MPH while only 40-50 feet away . Add the tule fog and it's plain crazy . The other thing that makes it dangerous is all the underwater [censored] people throw in there ---- cars , trucks , farm equipment , floating wood debis , sunken boats etc.... I know a few people that have hit them and either destroyed their lower unit or the entire boat itself . If anyone ever travels that far to fish the Delta , you gotta fish Clear Lake and Berryessa . 3 of the Nations top bass locations within about an hour of each other.

Re: New to Texas [Re: 1oldbassguy] #13492189 03/28/20 09:03 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by 1oldbassguy

I have fished both , California Delta and Ray Rob --- there is no way Ray Rob is as good as the Delta . Your chance of getting a DD at the Delta is much higher . Ray Rob is a good lake , and when the largemouth are slow --- you can have some fun with sandies .
My biggest complaint for the Delta ---- way more dangerous place to boat . Because it has so many narrow water passages ---- guys still feel the need to pass by @ 70MPH while only 40-50 feet away . Add the tule fog and it's plain crazy . The other thing that makes it dangerous is all the underwater [censored] people throw in there ---- cars , trucks , farm equipment , floating wood debis , sunken boats etc.... I know a few people that have hit them and either destroyed their lower unit or the entire boat itself . If anyone ever travels that far to fish the Delta , you gotta fish Clear Lake and Berryessa . 3 of the Nations top bass locations within about an hour of each other.

I grew up in the Bay Area. Fished all three you mentioned regularly. Easy to run over a floater or run aground on the delta did both a few trips apart in 1995 as a new boater.

Re: New to Texas [Re: 1oldbassguy] #13492198 03/28/20 09:17 PM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

you need to re read the OP. I was comparing RR to RH like he asked. ive fished the Cali Delta the last 10 years and at one time hoped to retire there. it is no longer what it once was. here, we might have a couple boats that spray for killing grass on our reservoirs. there, they have fleets by the hundreds. very sad... even Bobby Barrack said goodbye and moved to Texas.

Re: New to Texas [Re: Deltabass] #13492228 03/28/20 09:45 PM
9094 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Deltabass

Thanks

Do you sell boots for a living? Odd question I know. But think I know the OP.

Last edited by 9094; 03/28/20 10:36 PM.
Re: New to Texas [Re: senko9S] #13492486 03/29/20 01:53 AM
1oldbassguy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler

you need to re read the OP. I was comparing RR to RH like he asked. ive fished the Cali Delta the last 10 years and at one time hoped to retire there. it is no longer what it once was. here, we might have a couple boats that spray for killing grass on our reservoirs. there, they have fleets by the hundreds. very sad... even Bobby Barrack said goodbye and moved to Texas.

thanks , thought you were comparing Delta to RR . Never fished RH , but I do enjoy RR , especially the tree's . Barrack and Dobyns both moved to Texas . Can't blame them , California has made it impossible to do business , not to mention how bad our leaders are . If I didn't have a grandson here , I would leave for Texas asap .

Re: New to Texas [Re: Deltabass] #13492490 03/29/20 01:55 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
welcome To the TFF! cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: New to Texas [Re: senko9S] #13492555 03/29/20 03:25 AM
D
Deltabass Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Yes I am. Was lucky enough to live 5 minutes from a great marina where many tournaments went out of. I was neighbors with Bobby Barrack (Frog Fishing King), and Dee Thomas (Man who invented Flippin), and fished with and around them for years. Learning these shallow lakes is so much different than the tidal waters of the Delta, and the deeper lakes we fished. I do look forward to figuring it out.

Re: New to Texas [Re: 1oldbassguy] #13492565 03/29/20 03:31 AM
D
Deltabass Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
The Delta was my home for 30 years. Lived 5 minutes from the marina. Did well in tournaments over the years and got to fish with many legends there. Once you know the waterways it was not bad, but you are so correct about all the underwater [censored]!! Look forward to time on these lakes and getting a better understanding on how they fish (I sure miss the tides, tulles, and vegetation!!

Re: New to Texas [Re: Deltabass] #13492577 03/29/20 03:39 AM
S
SoCal Tom Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Fished both Hubbard and Roberts a bunch. Stick with Lewisville... Or go east

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

http://www.rayhubbardbassclub.com
President

Save the Date! 9th annual FFAC - Sunday October 27th, 2024 - Lake Ray Hubbard!
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide