Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kayak rolling cart vs. landing gear? #13491017 03/27/20 10:17 PM
Rockfisherman Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Just getting into Kayak fishing and have acquired a Native Titan 12

I need to figure out the best way to get it back and forth from my truck bed.

Cart or landing gear?

I was looking at the Native Sidekick landing gear but it looks like I will have to get in the
water to put the wheels into the up position anyway.

What other pros and cons are there to this landing gear vs. a cart?

What is all of your advise? Live with getting in the water or use something else?

Thanks

[Linked Image]
PM me to let me know how it was!
Re: Kayak rolling cart vs. landing gear? [Re: Rockfisherman] #13491049 03/27/20 10:38 PM
T
TXsundance Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Rockfisher,

I bought a Hobie ProAngler 14 that I have a trailer for, but one of my favorite places I can't back my trailer into the water. So I bought the Boonedox landing gear. I love it! Prior to getting my ProAngler I was fishing out of a Ascend 128t that I used a cart with. It was always a pain to get the straps around and secure. I used the cart on my PropAngler once and that was enough to decide I would fork out the money for the landing gear. I am able to get my wheels up and down while in my yak, by turning around with my knees in the seat. I was torn between the ProAngler and the Titan it is a great yak. I think the Titan will be plenty stable for you to turn around and able to get your landing gear in and out without getting into the water. The tires on mine are buoyant which can be a little bit of a pain sometimes, but I don't think you will regret getting the landing gear.

I can also get my gear up and down out of the water by leaning the yak to one side.

I'd rather be fishing...
Re: Kayak rolling cart vs. landing gear? [Re: Rockfisherman] #13491064 03/27/20 10:51 PM
I
IslandJim Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I
Matter of personal preference. I don't want anything bolted to my kayak. I prefer to roll my yak to the water and lift the yak off the wheels. If it's not too far back to the truck, I'll tote the wheels back to the truck. If there's some bush, I'll hide it. I can always carry it in the aft tank well, but I hate to.

First time I used my wheeled dolly, a smart ^ss kid yelled, "I like your training wheels!" ...............IslandJim

I'm an Eighth Day Adventist. On the Eighth Day, God went fishing!
Re: Kayak rolling cart vs. landing gear? [Re: Rockfisherman] #13491130 03/27/20 11:49 PM
T
Tallgrass05 Offline
bill maher's protege
bill maher's protege
T
C-Tug cart for the win, if it will fit the bottom contours of your kayak.

Re: Kayak rolling cart vs. landing gear? [Re: Rockfisherman] #13491610 03/28/20 01:11 PM
J
Jim Ford Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Second the C-Tug. It'll disassemble in seconds and stow in a hatch. Can't tolerate those wheels sticking up on the Boonedox. The C-Tug is extremely easy to mount on the yak if you do it in the water; fasten the strap loosely, slide it on from the rear, and cinch 'er up. Just make sure you understand the proper procedure for the buckle; some folks get it wrong and it won't stay tight.

Re: Kayak rolling cart vs. landing gear? [Re: Rockfisherman] #13492060 03/28/20 06:58 PM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
I second the ctug. Very quick and easy to assemble/dissamble and put in my front hatch out of the way.
Works like a champ.
Excellent warranty and support.
I have about 150 outings on mine and still looks like new.

Re: Kayak rolling cart vs. landing gear? [Re: Rockfisherman] #13492322 03/28/20 11:27 PM
Rockfisherman Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Thanks to all for the feedback
Great input

Appreciate it

[Linked Image]
PM me to let me know how it was!
Re: Kayak rolling cart vs. landing gear? [Re: Rockfisherman] #13492449 03/29/20 01:24 AM
M
Mike@972 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
The weight of your kayak and where you most commonly put in plays a huge role in my opinion.

I have a very heavy PA and almost always put in at ramps. Because of this, I prefer Boonedox. It allows me to drop the wheels while in the water and walk it out of the water (and vice-versa).

I used a C-Tug exclusively for a season and agree that its a great product. However, with the C-Tug I had to slide the kayak up a soft bank... which is not always possible at a boat ramp. The PA is too heavy to lift out of the water and too heavy to belly drag it on concrete.

I still have the C-Tug and use it when I go to a place without a ramp. I never use my Boonedox on rough ground... too much jolting on the top rails makes me very nervous.

Re: Kayak rolling cart vs. landing gear? [Re: Rockfisherman] #13493221 03/29/20 08:57 PM
J
Jim Ford Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Mike, if the water’s shallow enough to stand next to your kayak you can put the C-Tug on in the water with very little effort. I don’t know what your PA weighs, but I’ve used the C-Tug on my SoloSkiff; well over 200 pounds with my gear and 5 hp outboard. Even with my OK Trident 13 I’ve found it easier to mount the C-Tug in the water.

Re: Kayak rolling cart vs. landing gear? [Re: Rockfisherman] #13493493 03/30/20 12:55 AM
Y
Yakety_Yak Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
If you do go with the C Tug, I would say to go with the sand wheels. It's a little more expensive than the standard wheels but the sand wheels work for all contingency. I've got the sand wheels and have not regretted it.

Re: Kayak rolling cart vs. landing gear? [Re: Jim Ford] #13493651 03/30/20 02:56 AM
M
Mike@972 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted by Jim Ford
Mike, if the water’s shallow enough to stand next to your kayak you can put the C-Tug on in the water with very little effort. I don’t know what your PA weighs, but I’ve used the C-Tug on my SoloSkiff; well over 200 pounds with my gear and 5 hp outboard. Even with my OK Trident 13 I’ve found it easier to mount the C-Tug in the water.

Thanks for the tip Jim! I will give that a try next time I break out the C-Tug.

The PA is 144lbs without gear... I travel pretty light, so I assume it 160lbs (maybe 170lbs) loaded.

I have no qualms with the C-Tug, it's a quality product for sure. I guess Im just getting lazy as I age and prefer the simplicity of the Boonedox. Saying this, I am very aware that im hanging 1/3 of the weight (100+ lbs) from the plastic top rails. In my opinion, this is only safely done on a concrete ramp.

Re: Kayak rolling cart vs. landing gear? [Re: Rockfisherman] #13493815 03/30/20 11:32 AM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
OP I have a PA 14. I've tried a couple different carts and the work it takes to strap the kayak down or pick the loaded kayak up and insert a scupper cart to me is a pain. For me the Groovy Boondox is by far superior to any cart but as with most things it does have it's negatives. It's expensive and took me about an hour and a half to install. It could void the hull warranty and I have heard from several guys that the Boondox doesn't work well with the Titan kayaks and ends up cracking the hull. I do not know if this was the older model or the new Groovy Boondox. I like the new Groovy Boondox because it has four individual mounting points on each side of the kayak. If you tighten them properly you won't create a "bind" or pinch point that puts stress on the kayak. IMO this is why the older model Boondox was causing cracks in the hull.

You get out of it what you put into it!
Re: Kayak rolling cart vs. landing gear? [Re: Rockfisherman] #13494156 03/30/20 03:28 PM
I
IslandJim Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I
Those Hobie PA's are so heavy, a guy devised a method of inserting the dolly into the scupper holes, on land, with ease. He has two youtube videos of his rig:
https://youtu.be/Lekmk_E8Me4. Try that link. My yak only weighs 61 pounds, but I modded my dolly in a similar fashion. Simple and easy: Put the dolly next to the yak. Lift the yak to sit on the wheels. Feed the bungees thru the scupper hole. Pick up the yak, and the dolly inserts itself into the scuppers. I did mine a little differently, but it works great! Much easier on my ancient back. IslandJim

I'm an Eighth Day Adventist. On the Eighth Day, God went fishing!
Re: Kayak rolling cart vs. landing gear? [Re: Rockfisherman] #13494212 03/30/20 03:50 PM
W
weklfrog Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
I have a 2019 Outback and use the Hobie scupper cart. I have seen some of the videos on the mods for inserting the dolly into the scupper holes but have not done them yet. I don't have too many issues getting the dolly into the scuppers. Before loading up the kayak, I tilt it to the side, put the dolly in, then lift up to get it right side up on the dolly. Not the most elegant solution but it works for now. My biggest problem is when I get down to the water with the kayak loaded up, I have to tilt the kayak to the side to get the dolly off and of course half the stuff in the kayak spills out. I can't just lift up the back of the kayak for the dolly to come out. Haven't figured out an elegant solution for that yet.

Last edited by weklfrog; 03/30/20 03:52 PM.
Re: Kayak rolling cart vs. landing gear? [Re: weklfrog] #13494305 03/30/20 04:48 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by weklfrog
I have a 2019 Outback and use the Hobie scupper cart. I have seen some of the videos on the mods for inserting the dolly into the scupper holes but have not done them yet. I don't have too many issues getting the dolly into the scuppers. Before loading up the kayak, I tilt it to the side, put the dolly in, then lift up to get it right side up on the dolly. Not the most elegant solution but it works for now. My biggest problem is when I get down to the water with the kayak loaded up, I have to tilt the kayak to the side to get the dolly off and of course half the stuff in the kayak spills out. I can't just lift up the back of the kayak for the dolly to come out. Haven't figured out an elegant solution for that yet.

Here's another scupper cart mod that looks like it works well as long as you're in several feet of water and requires no lifting. https://youtu.be/K2nJw0qUbNo

The video IslandJim posted looks like it would work great and has less limitations than this one but you still have to lift a loaded kayak. This is just another option and pretty cool.

You get out of it what you put into it!
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide