texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,881
Posts13,954,749
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Did I really hear what he said? [Re: bigfishtx] #13485782 03/24/20 04:17 PM
M
minnow Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
Originally Posted by bigfishtx
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
New York City has roughly 1,000 ICU beds. As of yesterday morning 620 of them were occupied with COVID-19 patients. I don't know for sure, but I would assume some of those 1,000 beds had non COVID-19 patients in them to begin with. The current ICU rate of this virus in NYC is 4.8%-5.0%. Since yesterday morning NY has 7,500 new cases. Quick math.... Their beds will be at 100% capacity very soon. At that point they either steal ICU beds from other departments (like pediatrics), start shipping people out, or they start sacrificing the olds for yutes like Italy.

I guess we're seeing different data, NY City (per the NY City.gov site) shows they had less new cases yesterday than the previous day, 2,369. 92% of the deaths had underlying conditions. Are you seeing something different? Governor says 5700 new cases in the state, 2,369 in NY City.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/am...-initial-delivery-equipment-and-supplies

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/imm/covid-19-daily-data-summary.pdf

[Linked Image]

It's a short term trend but it looks like the number of new cases has flattened out somewhat for the past five days. That would indicate whatever action they took about 10-11 days ago has likely had an impact. Hopefully, it's not a testing capacity issue showing up in the data.

Re: Did I really hear what he said? [Re: RO519] #13485818 03/24/20 04:39 PM
Tritonman Online Happy
Super Freak
Online Happy
Super Freak
Originally Posted by RO519
I need to make a correction to my previous post. NYC now has 10,000 new cases since yesterday morning.

You do understand these aren't "new cases" but confirmed positive cases. While the numbers you use to push the exponential curve aren't necessarily accurate. Not downplaying the virus, but this is they type of fear mongering that the media is pushing. The number of new cases isn't jumping from 6 to 500 in two days. The number of confirmed positive cases is what is jumping due to more readily available testing.

Funny, there isn't much talk of all the people who tested positive and are now totally well. Must not fit the narrative.

[Linked Image]
Re: Did I really hear what he said? [Re: minnow] #13485820 03/24/20 04:40 PM
Tritonman Online Happy
Super Freak
Online Happy
Super Freak
Originally Posted by minnow
New York City has roughly 1,000 ICU beds. As of yesterday morning 620 of them were occupied with COVID-19 patients. I don't know for sure, but I would assume some of those 1,000 beds had non COVID-19 patients in them to begin with. The current ICU rate of this virus in NYC is 4.8%-5.0%. Since yesterday morning NY has 7,500 new cases. Quick math.... Their beds will be at 100% capacity very soon. At that point they either steal ICU beds from other departments (like pediatrics), start shipping people out, or they start sacrificing the olds for yutes like Italy.

I guess we're seeing different data, NY City (per the NY City.gov site) shows they had less new cases yesterday than the previous day, 2,369. 92% of the deaths had underlying conditions. Are you seeing something different? Governor says 5700 new cases in the state, 2,369 in NY City.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/imm/covid-19-daily-data-summary.pdf

[Linked Image]

It's a short term trend but it looks like the number of new cases has flattened out somewhat for the past five days. That would indicate whatever action they took about 10-11 days ago has likely had an impact. Hopefully, it's not a testing capacity issue showing up in the data.

Or perhaps it just isn't that bad as the media wants you to believe.

[Linked Image]
Re: Did I really hear what he said? [Re: T Bird] #13485825 03/24/20 04:44 PM
N
Nathan at Fork Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Check out the poll on THF from a week ago. The majority wanted to open everything back up and just let the older folks die.

Re: Did I really hear what he said? [Re: T Bird] #13485829 03/24/20 04:48 PM
rj74955 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
So are we going to do this the next time China makes a new flu?

Re: Did I really hear what he said? [Re: Tritonman] #13485830 03/24/20 04:49 PM
H
H.Town_paddler Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Tritonman
Kinda like with the Dems..."the ends always justify the means"

Don't know about you but I'm ready to call this what it is - Total BS

Turn America back on for business

Are you being sarcastic here? You think this thing is total BS?

Do you think it's as bad as the normal flu that we just went thru, which killed many more thousands this year?

I didn't read past your post so if this was already addressed please disregard. Do you really think that is an apples to apples comparison? The flu has always been here. You don't think that gave it a bit of a head start on the number of people that got it, and then died from it? This virus literally didn't even exist in the US 3-4 weeks ago. We will probably have 1500 deaths by the end of the month. That is not that many, but if it keeps increasing it will go much higher. I'm okay with someone that thinks some of the measures are going a little far, but to call it "total BS" is dumb.

Last edited by H.Town_paddler; 03/24/20 04:50 PM.
Re: Did I really hear what he said? [Re: T Bird] #13485834 03/24/20 04:51 PM
L
lowew79 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
I saw the interview on Tucker Carlson. Lt. governor Patrick made it fairly clear that he was speaking for himself, sharing his opinion not necessarily suggesting policy. To be quite honest I think his thoughts are understandable.

If we lock down for 3 or 4 months, what in the hell are we going to have to go back to? Our children are going to be absolutely obliterated with this huge tax debt, and we STILL are going to lose huge swaths of jobs.

All that and the disease might still spread once we end the lock down. If somehow we knew that the lock down would work for sure then okay maybe. However, just from a layman's perspective, It sure does seem like there are more and more cases everyday, despite the lock down. Italy is under extreme lock down and their cases STILL increase exponentially every day, why isn't the lock down working?

Society has been through lots of pandemics before, it seems like it is just an inevitable part of the natural order of life on this planet. In past breakouts we didn't shut the entire world's economy down (at least none of them I'm aware of). It's like we are burning down the house so the tornado wont hit it. Then the tornado hits the ashes anyway.

I do see how Mr. Patrick's comments could certainly be unnerving. If me staying home will help, then okay I can do that. However if it is a choice of surviving this pandemic, or my children's future being one of economic depression, government over reach, and lost freedoms, then I'll have an open bar at my funeral boys, I'm out!

---The REAL point for me is that, lock down or not, I don't want to live in fear; and I hate seeing people around me at this level of fear and tension. That's a ticking time bomb of violence, greed and other facets of the worst in human psychology in my opinion. The fear around this virus seems FAR worse than the virus itself. The last report I heard said less than 2% of people who get it die from it (USA rate). The experts are still saying its very mild for most. As of today there are 398,107 cases, 103,344 recovered, and 17,454 dead worldwide, and 46,805 cases versus 593 deaths in USA. There are over 6 BILLION people in the world, and 327 MILLION in the USA. I know it's going to get worse, and I'm not trying to down play the seriousness, but people's level of fear over such a small number of deaths is concerning (how bad will they act when it DOES get worse). I think we desperately need more objective coverage of this instead of the sensationalist, ratings-centric scare media we are getting now.

The numbers aren't even the point though. The Lord in heaven wants me to live without fear and to trust Him. This corona virus is chance for me to be reminded that despite all our cool technologies and such I still need Him. He still loves me, He is still in control, His will is still perfect for me, He still wants what is best for me, and His grace is still sufficient for me.

Last edited by lowew79; 03/24/20 05:17 PM.

Politicians are like diapers, they both need to be changed often, and for the same reason - Unknown
Re: Did I really hear what he said? [Re: T Bird] #13485839 03/24/20 04:53 PM
Tritonman Online Happy
Super Freak
Online Happy
Super Freak
All I hear is people say trust the experts, but the so called experts are say "if this" & "if that's"....where is the proof? I listened to that moron from Dallas County in his whisper voice crying about how "a potential" 485,000 deaths in Dallas County alone "might" happen...but right now we're at 2 in North Texas. Sorry man, I live in Realville, not fantasy land.

[Linked Image]
Re: Did I really hear what he said? [Re: bigfishtx] #13485840 03/24/20 04:54 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J

[Linked Image]

Bigfish your data is accurate for NYC. In my original post I was talking about NYC, but included case numbers for NY as a whole. In my follow up post about 10,000 new cases, I said that was for NYC, but it was in fact for NY. Also fair point that they are not necessarily new case, but newly confirmed cases. My apologies for the confusion.

That said, all the other data I supplied about NYC is accurate. ICU beds, ICU case rate, and the fact they will almost certainly run out of beds in the near future. M.D. Peter Attia (peterattiaMD) had a great video on this on his instagram yesterday. He has an entire team of analysts working COVID-19. Alternatively I posted the video on my personal facebook page if you'd like to see there. I made it public.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Did I really hear what he said? [Re: fishslime] #13485843 03/24/20 05:00 PM
B
Bentman63 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by fishslime
This idea came from Trump not Biden.

Trump is your Daddy.

[Linked Image]
Re: Did I really hear what he said? [Re: T Bird] #13485844 03/24/20 05:00 PM
V
VIP Fishing Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
V
Sad how so many people on here still don’t get it.
Doesn’t surprise me though!

Originally Posted by Derek
I do enjoy a good Squirt now and then.
Re: Did I really hear what he said? [Re: Tritonman] #13485849 03/24/20 05:03 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
All I hear is people say trust the experts, but the so called experts are say "if this" & "if that's"....where is the proof? I listened to that moron from Dallas County in his whisper voice crying about how "a potential" 485,000 deaths in Dallas County alone "might" happen...but right now we're at 2 in North Texas. Sorry man, I live in Realville, not fantasy land.

Those same experts were saying we would see a spike in confirmed cases when testing increased and not to panic. We saw that spike as they advised then they themselves have now panicked.

It is a very serious issue, we all get that by now but it seems a lot of common sense has been thrown out the window. At least Collin County is trying to be reasonable. People are saying just shut everything down for months...sounds great on paper but not a lot will be left to go back to if that happens and then where are we? As soon as some mortgages, rent, car payments and other bills start to come due people will realize that sitting at home by order of their local government is not really a little vacation. They are also gonna be sadly disappointed if they think the federal government is gonna come save them. We are seeing just how united they are in helping anyone by all the stimulus drama they have created.
I watched Trump's press conference on Sunday and heard a lot of him patting himself on the back but when it ended I heard we have 1000 gallons of hand sanitizer that he cut red tape on to be produced and we might have a better supply of N95 masks in 30 days. As of yesterday the Medstar system had 5 days of masks and PPE supplies left. That is sad in and of itself. Before I get roasted I voted for him so not a hater. Just calling it as a I see it. A lot of talk and little true difference making as of yet. My disappointment really got worse after I saw the Surgeon General give a shout out to Kylie Jenner during an interview yesterday.

My heart goes out to ALL affected by this but I have my doubts hiding from this virus is gonna fix everything like so many seem to think. It seems I am gonna get to make a choice in a week or so about doing my job and trying to treat possibly infected patients with little to no PPE or sitting around waiting on the government to save us.

Re: Did I really hear what he said? [Re: T Bird] #13485853 03/24/20 05:04 PM
Allison1 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I would not worry about beds. They are probably using ICU beds first because they are available and set up for isolation but they can easily designate whole wings as isolation wards without too much trouble. ICU has much more than most of the people inflicted need since most people do not have serious problems.

Also as people get released they will have a turnover. This is so soon into it that very few, if any have been released. Remember, the first case diagnosed in NYC was on March 1st. If hospital stays are three weeks they should start releasing a few soon.

Re: Did I really hear what he said? [Re: VIP Fishing] #13485858 03/24/20 05:05 PM
K
Kattelyn Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
Little Psycho Coffee
K
Originally Posted by VIP Fishing
Sad how so many people on here still don’t get it.
Doesn’t surprise me though!

Unfortunately I've been there for a while. I have zero faith in people to have compassion or care about anybody who isn't "their tribe", and convinced that there are quite a few, including in our own government, who want to see the worst case scenario.

You can't fight it. You can't reason with it. You can't logic or cajole your way out of it. Just sit back and enjoy your popcorn. popcorn

Re: Did I really hear what he said? [Re: T Bird] #13485866 03/24/20 05:08 PM
Allison1 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Stupid idea but if everyone intentionally got it now, those at very low risk, the disease would be much easier to isolate in a month. Knowing they had it and getting care to boost the immune system, I would bet the mortality rate could be under .2% and free up 70% of the people.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide