Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,944
Posts13,956,097
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Decisions Decisions - Ready to install new finder on my fish & ski - looking for ideas #13479898 03/20/20 02:11 PM
L
leadshot99 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
L
I'm going to go bowl legged and blind trying to figure out the best installation approach for both the head unit and transducer of the Garmin Echomap 93sv I got, to upgrade my 2006 Ranger 180VS F/S.  If you guys have any experience with a similar setup, or general advice, I'm all ears!  Here's my constraints/wants

1 - I intend to only run this single unit while I'm at the helm and fishing from the bow so I'm hoping to get the head unit in a spot where I can swing the display around to view while I'm casting from the front deck.
Options I've thought of: A. - RAM mount between throttle and toggle switches; I THINK I'll have enough articulation / clearance to view at helm and in front, downside may be glare / reflection on windshield when I'm on the deck; B - RAM mount on left side of
console where unit will be partially in the walkway between consoles, downsides may be people or things bumping the unit; C - RAM mount on front deck in front of windshield, I've heard a few people have done this and likely great when trolling on the deck but
this is my least favorite option, I want to be able to make adjustments and read clearly from the helm

2 - I'd like to only install / use the single transducer that came with the 93sv.  Ideally this means that I can maintain at least 2d sonar up to a reasonable speed on plane. I'm struggling with this one as it seems people mount these things all over the transom - at the water line, on the bottom step, in between, etc.. As of now I'm leaning towards mounting closer to water line (far left or right boxes on the picture) but not sure yet what that will do to readings on plane. If I go lower, below water line, will that achieve better on plane results at the expense of DI/SI while trolling?

Are there any suggestions or tips from you guys that have done something similar?  Which transom location would you use for the transducer?  For any of the potential transducer locations, is it worth it to get a sternmate (may not fit on the middle step or even the very bottom step) or a custom cut piece of thick plastic?  Am I crazy thinking I can be successful / happy with the 1 transducer and / or the 1 head unit?  

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Attached Files console2e.jpgtransom3e.jpg

Leadshot99
Re: Decisions Decisions - Ready to install new finder on my fish & ski - looking for ideas [Re: leadshot99] #13479994 03/20/20 02:59 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
use the far right spot to mount the ducer to a stern saver block.

I have this at my console, allows all kinds of possibilities for turning etc.

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-109HU

they also have this, probably a better set up if you want to see it from the bow.

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-109H-1U

I have the same units, bow/console.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by hopalong; 03/20/20 03:00 PM.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: Decisions Decisions - Ready to install new finder on my fish & ski - looking for ideas [Re: leadshot99] #13480166 03/20/20 04:45 PM
L
leadshot99 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
L
Thanks hopalong! That's quite a setup! I think I'll need to go with https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-D-115 this mount that will allow the vertical articulation as well. With the windshield on this F/S, it's a real tight space and I think I'll need all the movement I can get to spin it back and forth without getting hung up on the windshield, console, steering wheel, etc..

Regarding the transducer location, that far right spot is an easy one to mount to. I just need to get on the water to verify my water line on and off plane. I worry that spot may be a good bit out of the water on plane and I won't get readings.

Thanks again for the advice!

Leadshot99
Re: Decisions Decisions - Ready to install new finder on my fish & ski - looking for ideas [Re: leadshot99] #13481258 03/21/20 11:15 AM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
you won't get a reading over about 6 mph with a di/si ducer, need an in hull for that
the ram you posted is the one I use for the second graph at console, made a plate that mounts to the base of the swing arm for mounting.

Last edited by hopalong; 03/21/20 11:17 AM.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: Decisions Decisions - Ready to install new finder on my fish & ski - looking for ideas [Re: hopalong] #13481458 03/21/20 02:24 PM
L
leadshot99 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
L
Thanks hopalong. I can see the base of the second ram mounted to your swingarm plate now. Very nice setup! I ordered the ram d-115 last night, and also ordered a sternsaver plate. You may think I'm crazy but I'm going in a different direction for the transducer. I've decided to mount it on the transom step, close to the 2nd box from the left in my picture, but on the other side of the drain plug, right next to what I believe is the livewell drain hole. From my research, it looks like a lot of guys are having success with the all-in-one transducers in this location if it's mounted properly. My biggest worry is hitting something and damaging the ducer.. If and when I damage it, I'll probably kick myself for not buying / wiring in a separate 2d in-hull.

Thanks again for the advice!

Leadshot99
Re: Decisions Decisions - Ready to install new finder on my fish & ski - looking for ideas [Re: leadshot99] #13483157 03/22/20 10:16 PM
shut-up-and-fish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

Hopalong nailed it right on the head for ya.

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Garmin, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs plus much more - Call Now 972 822 9285
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide