Forums59
Topics1,037,798
Posts13,934,678
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression [Re: Mark Jones] #13483081 03/22/20 08:53 PM
C
Chris G Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted by Mark Jones
There will be none of us in the fishing business (or any business for that matter) who come out of this unscathed in the coming days/weeks/months ahead. We are likely headed for the greatest recession/depression globally that any of us have seen in our lifetimes.

We are already seeing insights from the last several weeks with many of our clients and how their businesses are being affected. We know from the past how the market responds but this is certainly unprecedented.

Lastly, how can we all help this sport and the businesses that support it moving forward while many will be battling to keep their jobs, homes and families fed in this crazy time?

Your questions were fine but the lead in was all of the same fear, doom and gloom, etc being promoted all over the place. You can do what you want, I just won't be back on this topic again.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression [Re: Mark Jones] #13483089 03/22/20 08:58 PM
J
Jawz Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
It's going to be a long tough time for everyone. Have to be tight with cash. Once we get out of this and we will the economy will shoot up like a rocket ship. Not to start a political fight, but going through this is a main reason Trump needs to get reelected. He'll know how to bring us back and I'm sorry but Biden is lost and would bring everything back to the Obama Biden days.

Fishing is Like Breathing...I was born To Do it
Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression [Re: Chris G] #13483090 03/22/20 08:59 PM
Mark Jones Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Chris G
Originally Posted by Mark Jones
There will be none of us in the fishing business (or any business for that matter) who come out of this unscathed in the coming days/weeks/months ahead. We are likely headed for the greatest recession/depression globally that any of us have seen in our lifetimes.

We are already seeing insights from the last several weeks with many of our clients and how their businesses are being affected. We know from the past how the market responds but this is certainly unprecedented.

Lastly, how can we all help this sport and the businesses that support it moving forward while many will be battling to keep their jobs, homes and families fed in this crazy time?

Your questions were fine but the lead in was all of the same fear, doom and gloom, etc being promoted all over the place. You can do what you want, I just won't be back on this topic again.

Removed lead so people don't spin out. cheers

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression [Re: Chris G] #13483106 03/22/20 09:21 PM
SmalljawNH Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted by Chris G
....Some will lose a loved one, some will lose a job or have to take less pay, but the world isn't ending so I wish people would stop acting like it is...

You have to acknowledge the fact that for some, their world is ending or will be changed forever. Many people live paycheck to paycheck and the loss of a job or a reduction in pay has a massive impact for them. I understand what you are saying (for the greater good), but it's logical that some are losing their minds. You can't really minimize the impact it will have for those living on the margins.

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression [Re: Mark Jones] #13483108 03/22/20 09:23 PM
Chris B Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Still went fishing yesterday. Still bought gas and food on the way. Still had a boat sitting on my best spot when I got there. Not much has changed.

[Linked Image]
I hate photobucket.
Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression [Re: Chris B] #13483122 03/22/20 09:38 PM
SmalljawNH Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted by Chris B
Still went fishing yesterday. Still bought gas and food on the way. Still had a boat sitting on my best spot when I got there. Not much has changed.

I did too. I have the ability to work from home, so for me personally, not much has changed. But I work in the payments industry and we process billions of transactions a year for businesses of almost all types. I promise that for many, things have changed. We're all connected in a weird way. It sounds like you and I are in a similar position. But we will be impacted by those who aren't as fortunate whether we like it or not.

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression [Re: Mark Jones] #13483169 03/22/20 10:27 PM
herbsteiner Offline
Angler
Angler
I only got through Econ 101 and 102 in college, but I can foresee this in the short term. For the vast majority of fishermen, fishing is a hobby and thus considered a luxury to a great many consumers in the fishing world. Food before fun, rent before recreation. It will mean boats not purchased or postponed, and guide trips not booked, gear not bought, motels sitting empty, and convenience stores not patronized. There will be a domino effect for areas that are dependent on tourism and fishing for a majority of local income.

The questions will become how deep are the pockets of each business owner? How leveraged is the business? How inexpensively can the business be kept in operation? Pretty basic stuff. I don't see this as a "doom and gloom" scenario. Sometimes recoveries from incidences like this take years to occur (like after the gas crisis of 73), but recover they will. Whether or not me, as a 72-yo retiree, will be able to recover what I've "lost" in asset value during the time I have left is anybody's projection. I hope we come roaring back by the fall of this year. But it'll be a tough summer.

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression [Re: Mark Jones] #13483202 03/22/20 10:58 PM
Tiltman Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I will be honest, in 2008 I was still in my dealership career up in Sherman, I was coaching fast pitch softball on most weekends and still managing to fish some tournaments. I just don’t remember 2008 slowing me down much. Around that time my main distraction was fighting Ford Motor Company over our online parts sales web URL’s that cost me a ton of income.

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression [Re: Mark Jones] #13483212 03/22/20 11:06 PM
H
HEAVY SACK (aka Crankinstein) Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
Well, I’m just gonna keep hoarding these fillets just in case this whole deal goes south!

[Linked Image]

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression [Re: Mark Jones] #13483344 03/23/20 12:41 AM
M
machoblanco61 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
Was going to buy a new vehicle but not now. I will continue to fish, buy gas, lures and such. Just no major purchases such as new boat and/or truck

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression [Re: Mark Jones] #13483366 03/23/20 12:53 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Until the Corona virus hit, it's been business as usual. Fishing is a hobby so it comes lower on the list of purchases and I have other hobbies so fishing has taken a back seat but that had nothing to do with the economy. I won't ever be in the market for a new boat. Electronics, I will be one or two generations behind the new stuff. Fishing tackle I'll be buying the same stuff that I have always bought at about the same frequency. With gas prices being lower, I plan on doing more fishing since a trip cost will be so much lower.

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression [Re: Mark Jones] #13483383 03/23/20 01:03 AM
C
champRD Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Ok Jawz, so don't make it political. That ship has sailed. All the politicians have let us down so the last thing we want to talk about is that [censored]. Just hope we can all get on the same page and get through this .

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression [Re: Chris B] #13483406 03/23/20 01:22 AM
F
Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by Chris B

dang thats a rough day

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression [Re: Mark Jones] #13483442 03/23/20 01:47 AM
David Welcher Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
This is the first weekend I haven't fished in a few years, but it was due to all the muddy conditions and the cold front that hit Friday. I don't plan on slowing down, my job didn't slow down after 911 or 08 financial crisis, and I don't think it will slow down now. We specialize in military and govt work and do a lot of FEMA work, and Trump just ordered some huge projects from FEMA, so I have a feeling it's fixin to get crazy for us. I'm looking toward to telling Clay Jenkins to kiss my [censored].

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression [Re: Mark Jones] #13483443 03/23/20 01:47 AM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Worst case scenario I don't buy myself a new GLoomis NRX for my birthday. Outside of that I'm going fishing as much as I always do.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide