Forums59
Topics1,037,836
Posts13,935,340
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression #13482949 03/22/20 06:55 PM
Mark Jones Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
(Removed my opinion of said recession/depression) Please respond with your thoughts on the following if/when we enter the above.

We are already seeing insights from the last several weeks with many of our clients and how their businesses are being affected. We know from the past how the market responds but this is certainly unprecedented.

So my question for the group here is how will you adjust your fishing, your travel, your spending, your choices looking back at how you handled 2008 and beyond?

For the business owners here, how are you responding now, what did you learn from 08? What is your plan moving forward?

Lastly, how can we all help this sport and the businesses that support it moving forward while many will be battling to keep their jobs, homes and families fed in this crazy time?

Hope everyone is staying safe! Fire away!

Last edited by Mark Jones; 03/22/20 09:04 PM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression [Re: Mark Jones] #13482969 03/22/20 07:18 PM
Joel McBride Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I don't think it will negatively affect the insurance industry. Call me for a quote 214-773-3069, probably save alot of folks $$.

My answer is I won't/can't fish any real tournaments any time soon. Fishing and travel will be local for me LL and hopefully RR soon. My spending will go down a little on fishing (Rome and I have as much stuff as some of the touring pros).

Lastly buy local and not online. Help the small businesses.

Last edited by Joel McBride; 03/22/20 07:38 PM.
Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression [Re: Mark Jones] #13482973 03/22/20 07:21 PM
wsimpson Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
In these in unchartered waters, I believe we are already in the early stage but not yet approaching the midst of a recession - just not yet called, by definition, until due time elapses. Economic policies will defer and perhaps prevent a depression. Irregardless, iā€™d expect a new, more frugal, economy that will favor necessity over luxury...

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression [Re: Mark Jones] #13482974 03/22/20 07:25 PM
Tiltman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I was just starting to get back in to fishing so I have no pace of involvement to adjust. I am staying close to my business and doing what I can to relieve expenses and hold on to key people.

I think its too early to say where this will lead economically, and that this "We are likely headed for the greatest recession/depression globally that any of us have seen in our lifetimes. " is a premature prediction.

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression [Re: Mark Jones] #13482976 03/22/20 07:26 PM
F
Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
its gonna be bad mark... everyone will be affected if people don't have jobs or money to spend well no on will be buying anything but food and water to live. Pretty much every industry this week has taken a massive hit. Alot of small businesses will shut down or have all ready with most malls closing and places like tarrent county judge saying everywhere close but essential places that sell food, water, and other house hold goods.

From a stand point of owning a outdoor marketing company and a standard SEO company, the outdoor industry has taken a hit already and with the future so unsure it will only lead to more downside... Now from the SEO company we have had 90% of out clients pretty much suspend services until futher notice with the other 10% seeing this as a chance to get ahead for when everything does bounce back.

Last edited by Finesse Master/ Dropshot king; 03/22/20 07:29 PM.
Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression [Re: Tiltman] #13482986 03/22/20 07:36 PM
Mark Jones Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Tiltman
I was just starting to get back in to fishing so I have no pace of involvement to adjust. I am staying close to my business and doing what I can to relieve expenses and hold on to key people.

I think its too early to say where this will lead economically, and that this "We are likely headed for the greatest recession/depression globally that any of us have seen in our lifetimes. " is a premature prediction.

I hope I'm wrong but people way smarter than me already know where our GDP and the global GDP is headed as they're already seeing numbers from China, recession is here, depression we shall see. Unemployment is headed toward record numbers in the days/weeks ahead. Not once in our lifetimes have we shuttered businesses, travel, restaurants etc. to the point of non existence. Again, it's unprecedented and while I'm a silver lining type of guy, I think the outcome of this will be catastrophic for many. This isn't a blip.

But I'm more interested in hearing how people plan to spend and adjust their fishing spending/purchases than argue over how bad the outcome is going to be. cheers

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression [Re: Tiltman] #13482999 03/22/20 07:47 PM
O
ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50) Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
Same here, I've been spending every spare dime on fishing tackle and a little jon boat I bought a while back just to get me back out on the water so I could get back into tournament fishing. I've even paid my entry fee into a FLW BFL event as a non boater that for now has been cancelled. I'm working on something right now to get me in a nice bass boat that is a bit of a long shot but if this economy gets tripped up as bad as I think it might, getting into one pretty soon might work out pretty quick.

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Proud student of the Pro Staffer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwF72B2F2w&t=14s
Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression [Re: Mark Jones] #13483015 03/22/20 08:03 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
I think they're doing everything they can to limit the long term impact. This will likely be more severe short term but less severe long term. JMHO

Fishing is going to be like any business - get lean and work hard to provide value.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression [Re: Mark Jones] #13483028 03/22/20 08:12 PM
S
salex Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
S
In the short term the corona virus has not hurt us, except for larger groups (6+) who wanted to lodge in addition to their fishing. We have an outdoor activity and people are feeling couped up. In our case you have the hole lake to yourself, you do not come in contact with anyone. However, longerterm (2 months to 12 months) I'm sure there will be a percentage of our membership who will not be able to renew their membership for fiancial constraints. But, I am optimistic that percentage will be small and that the American economy will come roaring back over the next 12-18 months.

Very few business's are recession proof, but I think we will just fine.

Steve Alexander
salexander@privatewaterfishing.com
www.privatewaterfishing.com

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression [Re: Mark Jones] #13483032 03/22/20 08:14 PM
Tiltman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Mark Jones

I hope I'm wrong but people way smarter than me already know where our GDP and the global GDP is headed as they're already seeing numbers from China, recession is here, depression we shall see. Unemployment is headed toward record numbers in the days/weeks ahead. Not once in our lifetimes have we shuttered businesses, travel, restaurants etc. to the point of non existence. Again, it's unprecedented and while I'm a silver lining type of guy, I think the outcome of this will be catastrophic for many. This isn't a blip.

But I'm more interested in hearing how people plan to spend and adjust their fishing spending/purchases than argue over how bad the outcome is going to be. cheers

I am sure everyone on this forum hopes you are wrong. I am not trying to argue, just don't think its time to take the leap of despair and doom.

It's just not productive thought.

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression [Re: Mark Jones] #13483035 03/22/20 08:17 PM
slim 285 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Bass fishing will be way down the list for most of us . Unless you going after something to eat if it is that bad .

Last edited by slim 285; 03/22/20 08:19 PM.
Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression [Re: Mark Jones] #13483066 03/22/20 08:42 PM
C
Chris G Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Here's what I think Mark. The last thing I want to find and read on this awesome website is a post of gloom and doom because of this current situation. No offense to you personally Mark, just tired of the constant negativity, hysteria and fear being promoted. For gosh sake, people are fighting over toilet paper. Yes, this is a serious deal. Some will lose a loved one, some will lose a job or have to take less pay, but the world isn't ending so I wish people would stop acting like it is. If what I have read/heard from people I consider true experts, this will be a 2 month deal if it's handled correctly. Then and only then will we know the long last effects of this.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression [Re: Chris G] #13483070 03/22/20 08:46 PM
Mark Jones Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Chris G
Here's what I think Mark. The last thing I want to find and read on this awesome website is a post of gloom and doom because of this current situation. No offense to you personally Mark, just tired of the constant negativity, hysteria and fear being promoted. For gosh sake, people are fighting over toilet paper. Yes, this is a serious deal. Some will lose a loved one, some will lose a job or have to take less pay, but the world isn't ending so I wish people would stop acting like it is. If what I have read/heard from people I consider true experts, this will be a 2 month deal if it's handled correctly. Then and only then will we know the long last effects of this.

Maybe you missed this part.

So my question for the group here is how will you adjust your fishing, your travel, your spending, your choices looking back at how you handled 2008 and beyond?

For the business owners here, how are you responding now, what did you learn from 08? What is your plan moving forward?

Lastly, how can we all help this sport and the businesses that support it moving forward while many will be battling to keep their jobs, homes and families fed in this crazy time?

I didn't say the world was ending. Let's try to keep it on track. cheers

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression [Re: salex] #13483073 03/22/20 08:49 PM
Mark Jones Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by salex
In the short term the corona virus has not hurt us, except for larger groups (6+) who wanted to lodge in addition to their fishing. We have an outdoor activity and people are feeling couped up. In our case you have the hole lake to yourself, you do not come in contact with anyone. However, longerterm (2 months to 12 months) I'm sure there will be a percentage of our membership who will not be able to renew their membership for fiancial constraints. But, I am optimistic that percentage will be small and that the American economy will come roaring back over the next 12-18 months.

Very few business's are recession proof, but I think we will just fine.

I really like the concept of your business, thanks for the insight. Good luck as we navigate!

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression [Re: Tiltman] #13483080 03/22/20 08:53 PM
Mark Jones Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Mark Jones

I am sure everyone on this forum hopes you are wrong. I am not trying to argue, just don't think its time to take the leap of despair and doom.

It's just not productive thought.

Chris, you were around in 08 though so interested in your thoughts of how you adjusted then or how it impacted your spend around your passion. I'm probably going to have to go remove my first part to get people to answer the questions vs choosing to spin out and argue with me. Lol.

Cheers buddy, hope everyone's doing ok over in your world.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide