Forums59
Topics1,037,822
Posts13,935,129
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What's the deal with the guides around here? [Re: fivebites] #13472478 03/15/20 03:40 PM
203 CHAMP Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by fivebites
Originally Posted by Richard McCarty
Originally Posted by WAWI
Originally Posted by NickHasty
Sounds like poor communication. If you expected a free trip if you zero’d, you should have asked him ahead of time if he would refund your money if nothing was caught. At the end of the day it’s fishing, not catching that you are usually paying for. I’ve hired guides in the past, but for learning, not necessarily catching.

Did you learn anything not catching lol, the op is right in the fact that there are a bunch of suck guides that are really no more than scammers out there. You can count on 2 hands the decent guides in the whole state. The rest are scammers more or less. Even some of the bigger names. This will be an unpopular post but its honest as it gets.

Painting with a pretty broad brush. After 37 years of guiding on Lake Fork, I’ve seen my share of very tough days. Sometimes it’s my fault, but lots of times fishing is simply tough. In a lot of cases, the ability and attitude of our clients makes it extremely difficult to put them on fish that they can catch.

You had your share of front ending us all day on a trip we took with you Mr. McCarty. You're one of the very few guides I have ever fished with that I would NOT go out with again. I've fished with Duplechain, Hollis Joiner, Mark Pack, just to name a few over 30 years of going to Fork. They produced some great days and so not so great days, but I always felt like they were on "my side" and trying to help me be the best fisherman I could be. You and a joke named Dennis States were the only two guides I ever had an issue with. I still paid AND tipped you by the way. You were an arrogant little boy. Hopefully you've matured.

fish fish popcorn cry

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: What's the deal with the guides around here? [Re: cg203] #13472486 03/15/20 03:45 PM
Caymas Cx 21 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Oh hell this may get good popcorn

Re: What's the deal with the guides around here? [Re: Caymas Cx 21] #13472489 03/15/20 03:47 PM
S
Smurfs Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by 21xs Elite
Oh hell this may get good popcorn

4 pages later, yes it has and will continue to improve. bolt

Re: What's the deal with the guides around here? [Re: cg203] #13472506 03/15/20 03:59 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Here just in time looks like!!

Re: What's the deal with the guides around here? [Re: fivebites] #13472519 03/15/20 04:09 PM
Chris B Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Sounds like poor communication. If you expected a free trip if you zero’d, you should have asked him ahead of time if he would refund your money if nothing was caught. At the end of the day it’s fishing, not catching that you are usually paying for. I’ve hired guides in the past, but for learning, not necessarily catching.

Did you learn anything not catching lol, the op is right in the fact that there are a bunch of suck guides that are really no more than scammers out there. You can count on 2 hands the decent guides in the whole state. The rest are scammers more or less. Even some of the bigger names. This will be an unpopular post but its honest as it gets.

Painting with a pretty broad brush. After 37 years of guiding on Lake Fork, I’ve seen my share of very tough days. Sometimes it’s my fault, but lots of times fishing is simply tough. In a lot of cases, the ability and attitude of our clients makes it extremely difficult to put them on fish that they can catch.

You had your share of front ending us all day on a trip we took with you Mr. McCarty. You're one of the very few guides I have ever fished with that I would NOT go out with again. I've fished with Duplechain, Hollis Joiner, Mark Pack, just to name a few over 30 years of going to Fork. They produced some great days and so not so great days, but I always felt like they were on "my side" and trying to help me be the best fisherman I could be. You and a joke named Dennis States were the only two guides I ever had an issue with. I still paid AND tipped you by the way. You were an arrogant little boy. Hopefully you've matured.

popcorn boxing

[Linked Image]
I hate photobucket.
Re: What's the deal with the guides around here? [Re: cg203] #13472523 03/15/20 04:10 PM
David Welcher Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I love fishing, but I couldn't be a guide cause I couldn't look someone in the eye and take their money on a bad day of fishing.

Re: What's the deal with the guides around here? [Re: cg203] #13472535 03/15/20 04:13 PM
P
plk1122 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
My uncle would run charters off the coast and was pretty successful (got #1 on trip advisor). If they didn't catch much on a trip he would give a discount or give them a free one. I think this scenario has multiple factors. I don't know of too many fishing charters that are guaranteed, and agree zeroing out and pay should be discussed prior to going out. unfortunately because it wasn't and fishing isn't guaranteed, there isn't anything you can do but pay the man and learn from it. Part of what my uncle says is its his job to make them happy, if i were your guide and you wanted to fish a certain area, i would listen and fish some of those areas. Guiding seems to be a balance of client autonomy and seeing how much the client wants from you, how much the client wants you to follow them, and what really would put a smile on their face.

There is a catfish guide around here who always post pics of tons of fish taken. His website says if you zero out then the next trip is free. I interpret that as if we catch just 1 catfish (although he has tons of photos of people catching 20+) then we did not zero out and i do not get a free trip.

Re: What's the deal with the guides around here? [Re: BrockstaRama] #13472542 03/15/20 04:19 PM
P
photofishin Offline
Angler
Angler
P
Originally Posted by BrockstaRama
I mean good on them but I don't see how guides make any money with all the gas they burn.

Gas is $1.99 a gallon most places...unless you're running a 300 2 stroke and going up and down Toledo Bend or Rayburn all day...you're not burning that much fuel. Not that there's a ton of money in guiding, but the fuel money for the truck and the days on the water are what wear a lot of people out. If you don't go fishing on those days when it's 40 degrees and raining/25mph winds, you don't get paid. (I do have a theory though when you start catching fish, the weather warms up 5 degrees or so!)

Re: What's the deal with the guides around here? [Re: Fish2222] #13472549 03/15/20 04:24 PM
T
TxSwimbaiter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I thought I was only one who ever experienced a drunk guide terrible considering I had my father a minister with (salmon in Oregon).
I only hired a bass guide once, 2005 on Falcon. I made it clear I wasn't after numbers I was after quality and if he had a problem with me using some of the baits I used at my home lakes out of state. He didn't have a problem we had a great day on the water, caught some big fish just not the trophy I was after. I think a lot of the issues people have are their purpose behind why they're hiring a guide and having realistic expectations. If you're not trophy hunting and are happy with numbers or are you wanting to learn.

Re: What's the deal with the guides around here? [Re: fivebites] #13472604 03/15/20 05:18 PM
R
Richard McCarty Offline
Angler
Angler
R

I’m sorry you had a bad experience with me. I’m sure that in my younger years there were several others in the same boat. I’ve been fortunate to last 37 years doing this, so as I’ve aged, I must have been more considerate and less arrogant. Thanks for your input.

Re: What's the deal with the guides around here? [Re: cg203] #13472655 03/15/20 06:05 PM
fivebites Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Apology accepted Richard. I've done my share of stupid stuff when I was young. Nice to see you respond in a positive manner. You have arrived. No hard feelings.

2019 Chevy Tahoe
2018 Basscat Eyra 250 Proxs
PB Wife of 32 years!
PB Largemouth 9.56 Ray Roberts
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide