Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: American Angler Fillet knife [Re: scalebuster] #13461045 03/05/20 02:13 PM
C
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
C
Once i started using a Bubba blade, electric knives just slow me down. Gotta hit it with the worksharp before or after every 100 fish or so but it really is best way and can use it anywhere.

2 Bedroom Lake house on CC for rent. P.M. me!
Re: American Angler Fillet knife [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #13461120 03/05/20 02:57 PM
S
scalebuster Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Originally Posted by CCBIRDDOGMAN
Once i started using a Bubba blade, electric knives just slow me down. Gotta hit it with the worksharp before or after every 100 fish or so but it really is best way and can use it anywhere.

Which Bubba Blade do you prefer. That’s awesome to go100 fish between sharpening.

Re: American Angler Fillet knife [Re: Outfitter Nomore] #13461214 03/05/20 03:55 PM
S
Spiderman Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Outfitter Nomore
I sharpen my blades with a chainsaw file then hit the flat side with my Work Sharp sharpener to take the burr off the blades. Works great on my 6 sets of shark blades.

I do the same I think it is a 1/8" round chain saw file.

Works perfect!!!

The Truth is six of the seven Dwarfs are not Happy!
Re: American Angler Fillet knife [Re: scalebuster] #13461307 03/05/20 04:59 PM
C
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by scalebuster
Originally Posted by CCBIRDDOGMAN

Which Bubba Blade do you prefer. That’s awesome to go100 fish between sharpening.

I like the 9" Flex. I personally just sharpen it before each use unless I sharpened it before I put it up. That way it is razor sharp. Takes a little practice but it's not that hard to learn. I'll never buy another electric knife.

2 Bedroom Lake house on CC for rent. P.M. me!
Re: American Angler Fillet knife [Re: Gamblinman] #13462003 03/06/20 03:56 AM
S
Slewfoot Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted by Gamblinman
Originally Posted by Jig Man
Anyone tried the bubba electric knife?

One of the Fork guides stripped the gears in less than six months. That's not the first one I have heard doing this.

I know of 2 guys that had em strip out in 3 months. Might as well get a $20 Mr Twister for that kinda results.

Re: American Angler Fillet knife [Re: scalebuster] #13462062 03/06/20 08:33 AM
Big'n On Jig'n Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Was given the 110 volt Bubba knife last fall as a gift. Have cleaned roughly 300 crappie with it. Last month while cleaning crappie my thumb pushed against the black blade release button (on top of knife) while running which instantly locked the blades and spun the gears.

I will say this from my experience, it is the best electric knife I had ever used as far as power, torque, speed and feel and was definitely my favorite. Bubba markets this knife as the knife that went back to the engineers drawing board with specific attention to making this a cut above the rest. Originally I agreed until it failed and I begin researching reviews. Bubba uses a brass worm gear but it drives a nylon planetary gear that fails. I was really disappointed to learn they made that mistake which is really going to be a black eye for the company.

Customer Service was also disappointing. Can not speak directly to a person. You have to email your complaint with details and description of the failure. You will receive an email acknowledgement stating they received your email and will open a work order to investigate and get back to you. They do mention a potentially long wait. In my case it was 2 weeks and I received an email asking for photo of the knife and the white tag on the power cord which has manufactured date. Few days later received return email saying they would send me a new replacement within a week which they did. They didn't request I send in the old knife nor did they answer my question if the new knife had an upgraded transmission. KEEP YOUR THUMB AWAY FROM THE BLADE RELEASE BUTTON.

IF they fix the problem, I would highly recommend the knife. Until then, why pay $100 for plastic gears when I have the same in my $12 B&D.

Their website claims:
Designed by fishermen for fishermen and ergonomically crafted to fit perfectly in your hand, this knife is a game-changer. We’ve stayed true to our roots by incorporating the iconic non-slip grip handle so you can keep a firm grasp on the blade while turning your latest catch into your next meal. The engineered ventilation has been made to maximize motor transmission output giving you an incredible amount of torque. Included are four different blade styles — 7” E-FLEX, 9” E-FLEX, 9” E-STIFF, and 12” E-STIFF — that reflect our legendary tapered flex and stiff fillet knives. These blades are constructed out of high carbon stainless steel and coated with titanium nitride making them extremely corrosion resistant. It features an eight-foot cord, a safety lock, and a trigger guard for ultimate security. We’ve also included a premium EVA molded carrying case, which allows you to break apart the storage units for easy cleaning. This knife will have you stacking fillets until you’re out of fish.

Re: American Angler Fillet knife [Re: scalebuster] #13462226 03/06/20 01:34 PM
J
Jig Man Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
thank you for the replies, and I apologize for hijacking your thread. Hopefully it will help others... I was hoping it would be a good tool to use with the 9" flex bubba blade, maybe they will have a new and improved soon!

Life is Good..<><

Re: American Angler Fillet knife [Re: scalebuster] #13462801 03/06/20 09:48 PM
K
Keeping_it_REEL Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
OP i have not seen it locally sorry bud(got mine from amazon in 2012 for $54 now they're $120+). BUT if i could add my 2 cents.

AA electric knives are great, strong, blades are sharp and long lasting. It was great, filleted thousands of fish from all fresh to saltwater species, clean smooth fillets. I filleted some very large drums for a friend(to test strength), it did the job but got hot and you could smell something funny that day. A year later it started to slip a bit, it still works but due to the slipping it's not as efficient. Negative is the cord seems to always get in the way.

SO I bought the bubba electric knife using a 20% from academy 6 months ago.

PROS: strong, long lasting u can fillet 100 fish on one battery, comes with 2 batteries, nice quality knives.

CONS: expensive, heavy, big(u get use to it), blades even though nice quality but saws the meat i mean literally, blades cut through the fish fine but very coarse cuts ESP for crappies. Went on the Bubba website and comments
were the same and users have suggested getting other blades for it like rapala which i just got but the plastic grips on the rapalas are touching the eject button. I might shim these down due to a comment with the
gears.

Summary: I love AA electric knives esp the blades, i wish i could fit those blades on my bubba knife

Re: American Angler Fillet knife [Re: scalebuster] #13463138 03/07/20 02:35 AM
H
HOGON Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
Am I the only one on the TFF that has paired the Rapala Lithium Ion Cordless knife with the American Angler Saltwater Blades?

As I stated in a previous post I have years of experience with the American Angler Pro.

Jerry Hancock turned me on to the Rapala Lithium Ion Cordless knife.

I discovered by accident that we can use the American Angler Saltwater Blades with it.

After one Double Limit Cleaning we were sold on this knife.

You can clean 100 fish on one battery.

The kit I included in my original post comes with two batteries.

Give it a try.

You won't miss the cord or your American Angler.

Dad and I certainly do not miss ours.

ACC CRAPPIE STIX
BONEHEAD TACKLE
LEWS REELS
PEPOPS JIGS
FEARLESS JIGS
BUBBAS BAITS
MAD CRAPPIE JIGS
DANS JIGS
CRAZY ANGLER TACKLE
THERMOCLINE LURES
CONSTANT PURSUIT OUTFITTERS
MR CRAPPIE
POWER PRO SUPER SLICK BRAID
BERKLEY VANISH GOLD/TRANSITION
LIFT SAVER TROLLING MOTOR MOUNT
SHUT UP AND FISH
SLAB SYNDICATE JIGS
THUMPER ELITE OUTFITTERS
Re: American Angler Fillet knife [Re: scalebuster] #13463218 03/07/20 03:49 AM
S
Slewfoot Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Shark blades on the Rapala are nice but it’s like cutting in slow motion compared to the AA.

Re: American Angler Fillet knife [Re: Slewfoot] #13463453 03/07/20 02:05 PM
gborg Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Shark blades on the Rapala are nice but it’s like cutting in slow motion compared to the AA.

+ 2, I have and have used both the Rapala portable and with cord, still nothing like the AA with salt water blades.

Re: American Angler Fillet knife [Re: scalebuster] #13463476 03/07/20 02:20 PM
H
HOGON Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
I think we are talking about two different set ups.

Rapala has a couple electric battery powered knifes that are absolute trash.

It has to be the "Lithium Ion" cordless by Rapala.

It is faster and smoother than the AA that is specially why we switched.

I was simply trying to help.

Battery powered cordless Rapala and the Lithium Ion cordless are apples and oranges.

Just wanted to clarify and sorry for any confusion.

Last edited by HOGON; 03/07/20 02:30 PM.

ACC CRAPPIE STIX
BONEHEAD TACKLE
LEWS REELS
PEPOPS JIGS
FEARLESS JIGS
BUBBAS BAITS
MAD CRAPPIE JIGS
DANS JIGS
CRAZY ANGLER TACKLE
THERMOCLINE LURES
CONSTANT PURSUIT OUTFITTERS
MR CRAPPIE
POWER PRO SUPER SLICK BRAID
BERKLEY VANISH GOLD/TRANSITION
LIFT SAVER TROLLING MOTOR MOUNT
SHUT UP AND FISH
SLAB SYNDICATE JIGS
THUMPER ELITE OUTFITTERS
Re: American Angler Fillet knife [Re: scalebuster] #13463556 03/07/20 03:26 PM
H
Hickory Nut Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
H
I have three AA's and all three have the power I like but they all get awfully hot after cleaning a mess of fish.
I got the Rapala HD (make sure it is the HD) for forty nine dollars at Academy. It is going on my third year and it is the best fillet knife that I have ever used.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide