Print Thread
Page 271 of 398 1 2 269 270 271 272 273 397 398
Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13457032 03/02/20 02:01 AM
H
hook-line&sinker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
H
Spent Saturday and Sunday working around the ranch.. I get a lot done around here when I skip fishing the weekends.. Glad to hear some of you are finding fish. The next three weeks should be productive on the Yegua.

>)));> Wishin' I was Fishin' <;(((<

“Personnel is the most vital and important aspect of any industry.
If you’re just going to grind them up, it’s not going to end well for anybody.”
SCOTT REINARDY

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13457335 03/02/20 02:08 PM
B
Boudreaux Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
B
Started Saturday morning from Nails SP, ran up the Yegua to pre-fish a few hours before my client was to meet me at the ramp at 10 am. 41 degrees coming across the lake, water temps that morning were 56 or so in the creek. Met an acquaintance out on the water, stopped in a hole a struck up a conversation. He had already had several fish on the stringer including a 19" hybrid. We talked for a long while and just kept fishing the same hole and pulled a a few fish each. My buddy goes with a solid hook set that doubles the rod. 5 min later on his ultra-light we finally get a glimpse of what it is. I believed it to be a big Bowfin. He finally gets it to the surface where I can positively ID it as a monster Bowfin. I told him I bet that's the lake record. I ask if he was a net, he says no, so I troll over and hand him mine. The fish is netted and landed. The fish was transported to my boat so that I could use my scale and measure. We had to use my large bump board to measure since his wasn't big enough. 27" on my board, and just around 9lbs. Shattering the previous lake record of 24" and 5lbs. We took all the pics we needed to certify it as a catch and release record and I even filmed a safe live release.

I picked up my client shortly after. Ran back up the creek in search of crappie. Found some in several different spots using live minnows under a slip cork. Caught well over 20 from one hole, but no size to the majority of them. 1 out of every 5 was a keeper. Fished ourselves out of bait, switch to jigs and spinners, ran back up the creek towards NB. water temps just below NB were 58 Sat evening. Picked up a few more fish before calling it a day around sunset. Saw several stringers of fish below NB on sat. Also saw a couple hybrids caught. We ended the day with 15 fish in the box. 7 crappie and 8 whites. Beautiful day of fishing on the creek. The water was just getting right with temp and clarity, but there is rain in the forecast for the next couple days. Local spring break is next week so expect crowds the next couple weeks. Good luck, tight lines. Duck-Tails Guide Service

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If I fished for money.........I'd be broke.

In a world of compromise.....Some don't.
Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13457426 03/02/20 03:22 PM
J
J-Moe Online Content OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
Are you sure this is a catch and release record? This is not considered a big fish species by TPWD. There is no state C&R record for a Bowfin.

When you measure the fish you must close the mouth. They will subtract from the length otherwise.

Is your scale certified? I purchased a scale last year and brought it to Bastrop Scale Company to certify. They perform the service for fisherman at a discounted rate. Normally this is a $150 service but they performed it for $25.

Enjoyed the post and pictures thumb

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13457479 03/02/20 04:00 PM
B
Boudreaux Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted by J-Moe
Are you sure this is a catch and release record? This is not considered a big fish species by TPWD. There is no state C&R record for a Bowfin.

When you measure the fish you must close the mouth. They will subtract from the length otherwise.

Is your scale certified? I purchased a scale last year and brought it to Bastrop Scale Company to certify. They perform the service for fisherman at a discounted rate. Normally this is a $150 service but they performed it for $25.

Enjoyed the post and pictures thumb

Didn't want to go to the other side of the lake to the certified scales, so they opted for catch and release. Catch and release is not listed on the big fish category, I haven't called them yet to see if it just wasn't listed or isn't applicable. It's one of the only fish not listed. It's a lake record regardless whether or not TPWD will certify it as one. For C&R weight is optional. I'm gonna call TPWD and see what we can do.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13457552 03/02/20 04:41 PM
J
J-Moe Online Content OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
In order to register a fish for a C&R record it must exceed the length of the big fish requirements. If no requirement is established then it can’t be a record. Unfortunately this will not be a record

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13458307 03/03/20 02:12 AM
J
J-Moe Online Content OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
Here's a tip that y'all may want to try in these challenging conditions.

I was fishing in the shoot of the spillway when the water was shut off one day. I was catching white bass on almost every cast. This young fisherman was throwing a white grub and jig head and not catching anything. He looked at my fly and changed to a very small grey plastic swimbait with a light jig head. He caught a couple but not nearly at the rate I was catching them. So he took the jig head off the swimbait and put a regular hook in it. He was able to twitch that thing and keep it up in the water column. The white bass were attacking it. It was really fun to watch. One of the best young fisherman I ever ran into. He took the time to watch and the patience to experiment and figure it out .

I told this to someone last week and when I saw them again they said it was successful for them too.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13458310 03/03/20 02:15 AM
24x7Fisherman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J-Moe, great story.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13458325 03/03/20 02:28 AM
24x7Fisherman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Arrived at parking lot around 11. Some folks were leaving with empty strings. I went upstream, caught two before reaching the Y. I did see some fish doing their thing in the shallow. I continued to fish upstream all the way almost to the platform. Only found one spot I knew they stacked, three casts three big fat females.
Made back to the parking lot around 1:30pm, 7 fish, a slow fishing day.

Last edited by 24x7Fisherman; 03/03/20 02:31 AM.
Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13459308 03/03/20 11:56 PM
PerksOutdoors Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Thanks for sharing a pic of the clouser Jmoe. The day we met over at Irwin's I saw a minnow on the bank and noticed my flys were bigger and brighter. May be why they didn't catch. Not sure I'll be able to make it up again to catch the good part of the run, but I've tied several smaller clousers for future trips. I plan on testing them out on the lakes as well.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: PerksOutdoors] #13459410 03/04/20 01:44 AM
J
J-Moe Online Content OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted by PerksOutdoors
Thanks for sharing a pic of the clouser Jmoe. The day we met over at Irwin's I saw a minnow on the bank and noticed my flys were bigger and brighter. May be why they didn't catch. Not sure I'll be able to make it up again to catch the good part of the run, but I've tied several smaller clousers for future trips. I plan on testing them out on the lakes as well.

It was great meeting you before. If you don't make it back for the run up the creeks then just come out to the main lake in April and May. The white bass and hybrids are chasing the spawning shad on the banks every morning and evening. Its easy casting and catching. Sometimes I'm standing right in the middle of them. If I drop my fly it gets picked up next to me, LOL. Lots of fun!!!

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13459490 03/04/20 03:08 AM
H
hook-line&sinker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
H
[Linked Image]

SCOTT REINARDY

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13459494 03/04/20 03:12 AM
J
J-Moe Online Content OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
Cool Ben. It's a warmouth. I catch them from time to time in the Yegua and Nails. I caught some big ones around the trees at Irwin Bridge before.

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13459545 03/04/20 04:05 AM
H
hook-line&sinker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
H
J-Moe and I hit up Newmans Tuesday evening after I struck out on Nails creek earlier in the afternoon. Over on the Yegua the whitebass spawn was in full swing with fish chasing everywhere. We walked upstream and caught fish at nearly every stop along the creek. I managed about a dozen or so while J-Moe almost tripled my count on the "Magical Clouser"!

Not to worry folks if you can't get to Newmans and the Yegua right away because this should continue for about two weeks longer. It has been my experience that when conditions are like they are now the whitebass run up the Yegua will be done for the year by April 1st. A high water event will ensure the success of the spawn and allow the fish to exit the creek quicker avoiding the die-off that sometimes accompanies a stressful "low water" spawning season.

SCOTT REINARDY

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13459939 03/04/20 03:58 PM
H
hook-line&sinker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
H

SCOTT REINARDY

Re: Lake Somerville [Re: J-Moe] #13460127 03/04/20 06:00 PM
B
Boudreaux Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
B
Pretty good rain event this morning in the Yegua watershed. Waters will probably be moving and dirty for the weekend fishing, but I have a feeling it may not matter with the amount of fish in the creek right now. This push of water will probably set things into full swing in all the creeks.

Page 271 of 398 1 2 269 270 271 272 273 397 398
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide