Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Why was the college team DQ ed [Re: slim 285] #13455913 02/29/20 11:21 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
man, after reading what some of y'all have posted I am second thinking fishing tournaments now.

rules are rules and everyone agrees to them when they sign up, which other rules should we ignore?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Why was the college team DQ ed [Re: slim 285] #13455949 03/01/20 12:24 AM
M
m.sherman Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
I understand the ruling once you lose sight of the line then yes you can not prove it was your line, lure and fish. The TD did the right thing , tuff for both sides I am sure the TD did want to DQ these young men and they did not want to be DQ'ed. What was he supposed to do these are smart young men who are in college they have to know the rules or at least understand the importance of knowing the rules. if they did not they do now tuff lesson to learn. I want to ask what if you had your name on the lure or some way to prove that is was your lure would it be a legal catch then?

Re: Why was the college team DQ ed [Re: m.sherman] #13455966 03/01/20 12:45 AM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by m.sherman
I understand the ruling once you lose sight of the line then yes you can not prove it was your line, lure and fish. The TD did the right thing , tuff for both sides I am sure the TD did want to DQ these young men and they did not want to be DQ'ed. What was he supposed to do these are smart young men who are in college they have to know the rules or at least understand the importance of knowing the rules. if they did not they do now tuff lesson to learn. I want to ask what if you had your name on the lure or some way to prove that is was your lure would it be a legal catch then?

No

Re: Why was the college team DQ ed [Re: slim 285] #13455968 03/01/20 12:47 AM
1bas Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
If they were up front at the weigh in about all of this. Then worse case scenario, should have been , not being able to weigh that particular fish. I can understand a little better, if they tried to sneak it by. But I do not believe that the right call was total catch be D Q 'd. If they were not sure which fish it was, then I would think that all their fish were pretty close in weight. That being the case then deduct 1/5 of their weight for the day, based on the limit being 5.

Re: Why was the college team DQ ed [Re: hopalong] #13455990 03/01/20 01:19 AM
H
Hobbs McAvoy Offline
Angler
Angler
H
Originally Posted by hopalong
man, after reading what some of y'all have posted I am second thinking fishing tournaments now.

rules are rules and everyone agrees to them when they sign up, which other rules should we ignore?

It's not ignoring the rules. You are acting like it is black and white when it is a gray area. If the TD allowed the catch, I doubt anything would have been said. What if they would have retied the lines and reeled the fish in instead of hand lining it in? Would that have been legal? The only way I wouldn't have allowed that bass to be weighed would be if the boys were not 100% sure it was theirs. Then you don't allow them to weigh that bass. I would also assume they thought they had made a legal catch and therefore did not mention it before the weigh in. It's ultimately the TD's call to allow the catch or not. The mistake the boys made was not calling the TD after they landed the fish but why would they if they thought it was legal.

Re: Why was the college team DQ ed [Re: T Bird] #13455992 03/01/20 01:22 AM
R
Rayzor Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted by T Bird
They failed to answer the "best bass boat" and "best electronics" question correctly during the post tournament quiz. confused

Now that is funny right there.

I have never (re?)caught one of my own fish, but I have caught fish that other fisherman have lost. The last time was when I pulled in some line on Bastrop and there was a nice 3-pounder securely hooked to a brush hog. I was not in a tournament and it went back in the water.

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Re: Why was the college team DQ ed [Re: slim 285] #13456006 03/01/20 01:37 AM
B
beartrap Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
let's look at the big picture...the purpose of a bass tournament is to fairly establish which individual or team can catch the heaviest bag of fish on a given day or days....we have rules for safety but the most important rules are those which insure we have an equal playing field..we don't allow fishermen to catch fish on previous days and tie them off or put them in baskets and we make sure everybody gets to fish an equal amount of time...we've got size limits,zip up life jacket rules,off limits areas plus rules regarding meetings,entry fees etc.
THE BIG PICTURE IS THIS INSTANCE IS THE TEAM THAT CAUGHT THE HEAVIEST BAG OF FISH DID NOT WIN.....There is absolutely nothing in the rules that prohibit you from hand ling a fish in, immediately or an hour later.They were deprived of the win by a tournament director that used poor judgement in disqualifying their catch that day....

Re: Why was the college team DQ ed [Re: slim 285] #13456011 03/01/20 01:40 AM
T
ToasterWEyes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Hey, these guys are blessed enough to be traveling the country, fishing out of a high dollar bass boat, WHILE IN COLLEGE!! I know personally I was lucky to keep my grades up, my tuition paid, and have some grocery and beer money. I won't be feeling sorry for them. At the end of the day, it's bass fishing. Life will go on.

It's only a good cast if you catch a fish...
Personal Best: 11.62 lbs
Re: Why was the college team DQ ed [Re: beartrap] #13456019 03/01/20 01:44 AM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by beartrap
let's look at the big picture...the purpose of a bass tournament is to fairly establish which individual or team can catch the heaviest bag of fish on a given day or days....we have rules for safety but the most important rules are those which insure we have an equal playing field..we don't allow fishermen to catch fish on previous days and tie them off or put them in baskets and we make sure everybody gets to fish an equal amount of time...we've got size limits,zip up life jacket rules,off limits areas plus rules regarding meetings,entry fees etc.
THE BIG PICTURE IS THIS INSTANCE IS THE TEAM THAT CAUGHT THE HEAVIEST BAG OF FISH DID NOT WIN.....There is absolutely nothing in the rules that prohibit you from hand ling a fish in, immediately or an hour later.They were deprived of the win by a tournament director that used poor judgement in disqualifying their catch that day....

.you are wrong, td made right call

Re: Why was the college team DQ ed [Re: slim 285] #13456048 03/01/20 02:11 AM
361V Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Lot of ridicules interpretations(accusations) of what they “did” on here. “Odd chit happens ocassionally. It was their line and their lure.They were honest. Judgement call by judges was not in their favor unfortunately. End of story. If anything would be changed it would be not using those judges again if public sentiment is that they make judgement calls that the majority don’t agree with! My opinion.

Re: Why was the college team DQ ed [Re: 361V] #13456071 03/01/20 02:37 AM
L
lunkerloser Offline
Angler
Angler
L
So what if the rod slips out of your hand and falls in the lake on hook set. You use another rod and lure to fish it out. The fish is still there. Is it legal?

Re: Why was the college team DQ ed [Re: WAWI] #13456078 03/01/20 02:42 AM
M
m.sherman Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
Originally Posted by WAWI

No

Ok if I can not prove the lure is not mine even though it has my name on it.That brings up my next question.
Once I snag the line and grab it , does the line now become mine and hence the lure is mine and the fish is mine which equals a legal fish?
that is the grey area we might be dealing with cause I have not read there rules they might have a specific clause in there just for this I dont know.
Just for clarity I understand the ruling I am not saying the TD was right or wrong seems like a tuff situation to be in on both sides. I would like to give some understand to him maybe more understanding than he gave these young men.But like I said tuff situation to be in if he let them weight there fish then there would be uproar from people who would say he was wrong for that he is in a no win situation and for that we should give him more understanding. I would like to hear from the team that got DQed That might show us some real maturity and understanding.

Re: Why was the college team DQ ed [Re: slim 285] #13456085 03/01/20 02:47 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Did they get a penalty for breaking the line?

Oh, wait....other dumb rules.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Why was the college team DQ ed [Re: m.sherman] #13456086 03/01/20 02:48 AM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W

No

Ok if I can not prove the lure is not mine even though it has my name on it.That brings up my next question.
Once I snag the line and grab it , does the line now become mine and hence the lure is mine and the fish is mine which equals a legal fish?
that is the grey area we might be dealing with cause I have not read there rules they might have a specific clause in there just for this I dont know.
Just for clarity I understand the ruling I am not saying the TD was right or wrong seems like a tuff situation to be in on both sides. I would like to give some understand to him maybe more understanding than he gave these young men.But like I said tuff situation to be in if he let them weight there fish then there would be uproar from people who would say he was wrong for that he is in a no win situation and for that we should give him more understanding. I would like to hear from the team that got DQed That might show us some real maturity and understanding.

You can prove it's your lure, you cant prove that the fish on the lure is the one your broke off. For all you know that fish spit it and another grabbed it. You can only use one rod at a time. A lure with a line floating around being allowed opens pandoras box.

Re: Why was the college team DQ ed [Re: WAWI] #13456130 03/01/20 03:48 AM
M
m.sherman Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M

No

You can prove it's your lure, you cant prove that the fish on the lure is the one your broke off. For all you know that fish spit it and another grabbed it. You can only use one rod at a time. A lure with a line floating around being allowed opens pandoras box.

Yes sir that's true you can't prove that the fish that was on the line at the time that it broke and since you did keep fishing you technically would have to lures in the water at the same time given that information I can understand why the tournament director made the decision that he did and maybe some other people can give the TD the benefit of the doubt to. Good talk

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide