Forums59
Topics1,037,820
Posts13,935,118
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Anything new on the search for the high school fishing team #13454480 02/28/20 02:45 PM
Bruce Allen Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
I can't believe there aren't daily updates.

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Anything new on the search for the high school fishing team [Re: Bruce Allen] #13454484 02/28/20 02:48 PM
fouzman Online Content
Methuselah
Online Content
Methuselah
Still a recovery effort. No bodies recovered as of yet.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Anything new on the search for the high school fishing team [Re: Bruce Allen] #13454515 02/28/20 03:05 PM
B
bronco71 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
B
I unfortunately witnessed a drowning below the Lewisville dam many years ago. In this case the guy ignored signs and many people yelling at him and moved down to the slippery cement edge next to the outflow. Gate was wide open and as he cast he slipped and fell in, disappearing immediately. Corps was notified and gates closed within 5-10 minutes. Probably 30-40 people on the bank looking for him and casting to try to pull him up. Rescue was looking downstream and in the outflow area but he did not come up. They used large grappling hooks in the outflow area and eventually pulled up the body. It was not something I ever want to see again. They said the body would have never come up without dragging for it.....very sad situation then and now. Prayers up.

1987 Nitro MX185/Mercury Black Max 150
1999 Triton TX21/225 Mercury Optimax
Re: Anything new on the search for the high school fishing team [Re: Bruce Allen] #13454544 02/28/20 03:18 PM
B
beartrap Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
[Linked Image]

I copied this picture and comments from another forum....comments are from a guy who is very knowledgeable about Pickwick and apparently what happened...

""several comments here... First, Prayers and strength for those lost and their families.
that said, this whole deal was a combination of very poor judgement, and lack of common sense. The state park ramp is a long way from the locks, and flood gates, which you can see in the photo. With no outboard, this boat could have turned around and gone back into the harbor and fished docks; BFL and FLW events have been won here. They could have gone out of the launch area and turned right, and had two good coves and good shoreline, with minimal impact from the current.

But, for some reason, they chose to fish down the riprap dam, which would still be OK. They continued on and fished around the first long lock wall, which is still ok. But then, for reasons we will never understand, they went around the shortest lock wall, which immediately exposed them to almost 300,000 CFS of current. ALL the gates were open; the current here is massive and beyond capability to handle on a trolling motor.
they could not have helped but hear the rush of all that water. When the went around the short wall (picture taken by TVA still camera), it was over.
there was not time to call anyone, tie up to a wall—nothing. The force of the flow is massive here.

Even if there were some sort of cable or buoy system out in front of the flood gates, it would not have mattered. You cannot block off the entrance to the lock, and when you go around that corner, it was a done deal.

it was a terrible tragedy and I pray daily for their peace. But there is a lesson here; nature is harsh, lack of knowledge and poor choices can carry a very severe penalty. ""

Re: Anything new on the search for the high school fishing team [Re: Bruce Allen] #13454592 02/28/20 03:44 PM
J
J.H.S. Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
WIth the water rolling at 300,000 CFS, there is no telling where they are.

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Re: Anything new on the search for the high school fishing team [Re: Bruce Allen] #13454712 02/28/20 05:27 PM
S
sprigsss Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
S
I cant believe there is a launch so close to the dam, or an organization would choose to launch that close to the dam with the flooding.

I dont think i would use that launch under those conditions if my motor had been working flawlessly. At least if you are a ways up the lake you should have time to make it to shore in an emergency. Yeah i agree that dad made a poor decision.

Re: Anything new on the search for the high school fishing team [Re: Bruce Allen] #13454846 02/28/20 07:38 PM
T
TexY3TI Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Being affiliated with THSBA and their rules, there are typically boundaries that are "off limits" for whatever reason at each particular lake. I find it hard to believe that the organization in this situation didn't put an off limits boundary around the dam. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't, but they should've also made it very clear that any boat moving that direction would be automatically DQ'd and removed from that event. Seeing this image reassures this could've have been avoided and I just wonder how much of a priority their organization made it to stay away from the moving water near the dam or the retaining walls that are supposed to block boat traffic.

Re: Anything new on the search for the high school fishing team [Re: TexY3TI] #13454874 02/28/20 08:05 PM
Walls Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by TexY3TI
Being affiliated with THSBA and their rules, there are typically boundaries that are "off limits" for whatever reason at each particular lake. I find it hard to believe that the organization in this situation didn't put an off limits boundary around the dam. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't, but they should've also made it very clear that any boat moving that direction would be automatically DQ'd and removed from that event. Seeing this image reassures this could've have been avoided and I just wonder how much of a priority their organization made it to stay away from the moving water near the dam or the retaining walls that are supposed to block boat traffic.

The way I have read the story, it was not a big event like THSBA or SETX- it was just members of the same school team going out and competing against each other.

Re: Anything new on the search for the high school fishing team [Re: Walls] #13454886 02/28/20 08:16 PM
T
TexY3TI Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by WALLS
Originally Posted by TexY3TI

The way I have read the story, it was not a big event like THSBA or SETX- it was just members of the same school team going out and competing against each other.

That would make more sense. Thanks for that info.

Re: Anything new on the search for the high school fishing team [Re: Bruce Allen] #13454890 02/28/20 08:19 PM
BCBassCat Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Those poor families, that's really heart breaking.

Re: Anything new on the search for the high school fishing team [Re: BCBassCat] #13454897 02/28/20 08:27 PM
crowsie14 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by BCBassCat
Those poor families, that's really heart breaking.

x2

Re: Anything new on the search for the high school fishing team [Re: Bruce Allen] #13454923 02/28/20 09:04 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
I've not been following this story too closely, so forgive the question if it's been covered thoroughly. Were they not wearing life jackets? I understand that probably wouldn't have saved them, but sure seems like it would have made recovery much easier.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Anything new on the search for the high school fishing team [Re: Bruce Allen] #13454925 02/28/20 09:05 PM
C130 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by Bruce Allen
I can't believe there aren't daily updates.

There are via the TWRA Facebook page.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: Anything new on the search for the high school fishing team [Re: Bruce Allen] #13454927 02/28/20 09:08 PM
C130 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
There are people overseeing these clubs with no experience, don’t own a boat, know nothing about boating. It may not have anything to do with this accident but add in inexperienced boat captains it’s a recipe for an accident.

Last edited by C130; 02/28/20 09:10 PM.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: Anything new on the search for the high school fishing team [Re: Jpurdue] #13454931 02/28/20 09:21 PM
F
Fishin' Nut Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
I've not been following this story too closely, so forgive the question if it's been covered thoroughly. Were they not wearing life jackets? I understand that probably wouldn't have saved them, but sure seems like it would have made recovery much easier.

I live in Huntsville and have seen the power of the Tennessee River the last two years in flood stage. Pictures don't do it justice. It is the law that when you are within 800 ft of any TVA dam, life jackets must be worn. Two weeks ago, someone committed suicide by jumping off a bridge in Chattanooga, TN. The body was recovered after it had floated 122 miles downstream and through two flood gates. The last one was Guntersville Dam. Only then because someone on shore had spotted it floating on the edge of the current. Authorities had no clue it had floated so far and so fast.

Originally Posted by OTFF
He is truly a sick individual.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide