Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: thoughts (no bashers please) [Re: Bigbob_FTW] #13453530 02/27/20 06:03 PM
O
OTFF Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
One should not connect/confuse the thoughts, rituals, and beliefs of man, with those of God.

The “church” is not the replacement for God. It’s not right or wrong, it’s irrelevant.

Ephesians 4:4-6 KJV

4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
Re: thoughts (no bashers please) [Re: hopalong] #13453531 02/27/20 06:04 PM
B
bigfishtx Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by hopalong
that is why I quit churches, Episcopalian as well as others growing up.

goes against what the bible says.

Matthew 18:1-3
At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Mark 10:14
But when Jesus saw it, he was indignant and said to them, “Let the children come to me; do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God.

and who is a priest to determine if a child is "good or bad"?

Perfect verses for that Hop.

Bob, I don't see anything close to being "ok" with what that Priest is doing, in fact because he's making a conscious decision to exclude the child from communion, uh.. that's bad.

Keep the Lord in your heart and keep your powder dry.
5:5
Re: thoughts (no bashers please) [Re: bigfishtx] #13453536 02/27/20 06:07 PM
Bigbob_FTW Online Content OP
Big Sprocket Bob
OP Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by bigfishtx
Originally Posted by hopalong
that is why I quit churches, Episcopalian as well as others growing up.

goes against what the bible says.

Matthew 18:1-3
At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Mark 10:14
But when Jesus saw it, he was indignant and said to them, “Let the children come to me; do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God.

and who is a priest to determine if a child is "good or bad"?

Perfect verses for that Hop.

Bob, I don't see anything close to being "ok" with what that Priest is doing, in fact because he's making a conscious decision to exclude the child from communion, uh.. that's bad.

it's not that easy or straight forward unfortunately.

[Linked Image][Linked Image] FJB
Re: thoughts (no bashers please) [Re: Bigbob_FTW] #13453542 02/27/20 06:12 PM
N
Nickbyrd Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
N
I’ve seen where they won’t baptize a child very young . They basically said the same thing because the child didn’t understand what was really going on , didn’t understand the gift they were receiving , and the whole right or wrong thing .

I understand the age thing to an extent . But the handicapped may or may not reach a point where they can fully comprehend the whole situation? So what in the world are they supposed to do to save those kids ?! So I do think that’s wrong .

In my own personal opinion tho I know that the big guy will definitely take in the children who have not been saved in the ceremony(s) , they don’t know any better there innocent. He’s showed me mercy and saved me so anybody else should be good brother ! wink

Re: thoughts (no bashers please) [Re: Nickbyrd] #13453548 02/27/20 06:13 PM
Big Sprocket Bob
OP Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by Nickbyrd
I’ve seen where they won’t baptize a child very young . They basically said the same thing because the child didn’t understand what was really going on , didn’t understand the gift they were receiving , and the whole right or wrong thing .

I understand the age thing to an extent . But the handicapped may or may not reach a point where they can fully comprehend the whole situation? So what in the world are they supposed to do to save those kids ?! So I do think that’s wrong .

In my own personal opinion tho I know that the big guy will definitely take in the children who have not been saved in the ceremony(s) , they don’t know any better there innocent. He’s showed me mercy and saved me so anybody else should be good brother ! wink

good words, thanks!

Re: thoughts (no bashers please) [Re: Bigbob_FTW] #13453565 02/27/20 06:28 PM
S
skeeterK Offline
Angler
Angler
S
They should try another Catholic church as each priest has their own ways unfortunately. Our church offers First Communion to anyone who completes the classes.

My wife's priest would not perform our wedding as I am Lutheran. We just registered at a different Catholic church and had no issues.

Re: thoughts (no bashers please) [Re: skeeterK] #13453567 02/27/20 06:29 PM
Big Sprocket Bob
OP Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by skeeterK
They should try another Catholic church as each priest has their own ways unfortunately. Our church offers First Communion to anyone who completes the classes.

that's the problem in my case. He can't complete the classes. I get that, but there needs to be another means.

Re: thoughts (no bashers please) [Re: Bigbob_FTW] #13453576 02/27/20 06:43 PM
RATZ Offline
Activity Coordinator
Activity Coordinator
I'm not a fan of any catholic church's views on communion. I think it should be open to all, nit just Catholics. It's the Lord's table not a catholic table. As for this occurance I'm against the church again.

If God is your co-pilot then change seats

https://abaltcustomlures.com/

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: thoughts (no bashers please) [Re: Bigbob_FTW] #13453581 02/27/20 06:46 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
I think the priest has built his life on believing that things should be a certain way, and he's likely taking a stand here because it would violate his core principles to do so.

Personally, stuff like this is why I do have some minor issues with how Catholic/Lutheran religion works. They have traditionally, and still do IMHO, place too much stock in the opinion of humans as it relates to your spiritual relationship with God. Your relationship with God is between you and him. I think most Baptist churches that I've been to operate that way, as do Methodist that I've seen. I don't have a ton of exposure to other denominations, but I had Catholic friends in college and the perspective on salvation/communion/confirmation really varied widely from being quite similar to my Baptist beliefs, to stuff like this priest where you couldn't participate in certain activities without being viewed a certain way. The whole concept of a Pope, or priests that you confess to, or any human being who has the authority to deny communion or any other religious activity, is difficult for me as a Baptist to even comprehend.

Just some thoughts - not trying to bash. Baptists aren't perfect - at least yall don't pretend to not drink and dance.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: thoughts (no bashers please) [Re: patriot07] #13453586 02/27/20 06:47 PM
Big Sprocket Bob
OP Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by patriot07

Just some thoughts - not trying to bash. Baptists aren't perfect - at least yall don't pretend to not drink and dance.

there is a reason you always take two baptists fishing with you.

Re: thoughts (no bashers please) [Re: Bigbob_FTW] #13453596 02/27/20 07:00 PM
H2O Seeker Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW

that's the problem in my case. He can't complete the classes. I get that, but there needs to be another means.

The classes should be taught in such a manner as to accomodate him learning the material. More than likely it is not an issue of intelligence at all but simply the inflexibility of the 'church' to meet the need presented.

[Linked Image]
Grateful for every sunrise and sunset I get to witness. - Jason
Re: thoughts (no bashers please) [Re: Bigbob_FTW] #13453598 02/27/20 07:03 PM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
A young boy with autism was denied his First Communion at a New Jersey Catholic church, leaving his parents along with many online, upset.

Eight-year-old Anthony LaCugna, who is non-verbal, was denied the sacrament at Saint Aloysius Parish in Jackson Tuesday, according to his father's Facebook post, because Saint Aloysius priest, the Rev. John Bambrick, said Anthony is "unable to determine right from wrong due to his disability."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-jersey-catholic-church-communion-boy-denied

this really hits home for me as it's the same stance my church has (LCMS). I understand the thought process, but I don't think it's right. Thoughts?

not saying i agree
but we both see the reasoning
its a Sacrament
serious stuff

Re: thoughts (no bashers please) [Re: H2O Seeker] #13453600 02/27/20 07:04 PM
Big Sprocket Bob
OP Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by H2O Seeker

The classes should be taught in such a manner as to accomodate him learning the material. More than likely it is not an issue of intelligence at all but simply the inflexibility of the 'church' to meet the need presented.

I would agree. Honestly, I don't know what my son knows bout religion. He knows that Jesus loves him, that much I do know.

Re: thoughts (no bashers please) [Re: Bigbob_FTW] #13453621 02/27/20 07:28 PM
F
fmrmbmlm Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F

I would agree. Honestly, I don't know what my son knows bout religion. He knows that Jesus loves him, that much I do know.

He knows Jesus loves him is all that matters, the religious part is legalism and Paul warned against that.

Re: thoughts (no bashers please) [Re: Bigbob_FTW] #13453629 02/27/20 07:32 PM
C
COFF Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
The Catholic Church takes a very legalistic standpoint on matters of faith. It has written rules that members must follow, and they stick to them. Historically that has been both a strength and a weakness for them. That boy didn't follow the steps the Catholic Church requires one to follow. Therefore he didn't get to go through confirmation. They won't confirm anyone without completing these steps. While this is sad for the boy, you have to respect the church's conviction and refusal to compromise what they feel is right.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide