Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: High school team missing [Re: fouzman] #13452426 02/26/20 06:53 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D

Chris they have been in recovery mode for a lot longer than they announced publicly.

We don't try and call it like it is for a while, for the sake of the friends and family.

Sometimes the sad truth of reality hurts!

#MFGA
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: High school team missing [Re: SC-001] #13452429 02/26/20 06:55 PM
Chris B Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Just hard to understand how once the current started pulling them they didn't use the trolling motor to get them to shore or to the lock.

[Linked Image]
I hate photobucket.
Re: High school team missing [Re: Chris B] #13452434 02/26/20 06:57 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by Chris B
Just hard to understand how once the current started pulling them they didn't use the trolling motor to get them to shore or to the lock.

they were releasing @ 230,000 fps

that's a lot of current for a trolling motor

#MFGA
Re: High school team missing [Re: patriot07] #13452440 02/26/20 06:59 PM
D
dk2429 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted by patriot07
I wouldn't have known any better. Super sad. I can see how a dad would want to get out on the water with the kids after being ready for the tournament.

I can definitely understand that, I can't talk without being there. But anytime I have had engine trouble, I try to keep myself from going out and just cut my losses because of the fear of something like this. Whether it be caught in a lightning storm/high winds with no motor or being caught in a good current. I pray to God they find these 3 alive

Majek 22 Extreme/225 Optimax Pro XS hauled by a 2500HD Duramax

Re: High school team missing [Re: Douglas J] #13452445 02/26/20 07:02 PM
D
dk2429 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted by Douglas J

they were releasing @ 230,000 fps

that's a lot of current for a trolling motor

x2! You'd be suprised even what little current can do to boat.. Fishing down here in the SE Texas bays, if there's a good strong outgoing tide, that current can even stop the boat with outboard at idle. I know that's nowhere near what 230,000fps is, but it's a good scale. That current ain't no joke

Majek 22 Extreme/225 Optimax Pro XS hauled by a 2500HD Duramax

Re: High school team missing [Re: Douglas J] #13452459 02/26/20 07:09 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Originally Posted by Douglas J

Chris they have been in recovery mode for a lot longer than they announced publicly.

We don't try and call it like it is for a while, for the sake of the friends and family.

Sometimes the sad truth of reality hurts!

I knew that buddy. It was a recovery effort the first day they began looking.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: High school team missing [Re: SC-001] #13452756 02/26/20 11:22 PM
bassnman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Just reading. Very sad. Prayers for all involved.

Re: High school team missing [Re: Chris B] #13452765 02/26/20 11:29 PM
H
Hair Jig Offline
Angler
Angler
H

Chris, as I have already said ...... People that haven't witnessed TVA discharges just can't imagine the power and force of the current when the gates are open. Even a strong 36v motor would have a very difficult time holding it's own when within 100 yards or so of the gates.

I still have to wonder why they didn't abandon the boat immediately and take their chances swimming at an angle to the flow with the idea of getting to something that would allow them to get a handhold and at least have the possibility of being seen or heard. Their life jackets might have made this a do-able task.

But it's easy to speculate after-the-fact.

Healed by Grace and trying to stay that way
Re: High school team missing [Re: Hair Jig] #13452776 02/26/20 11:35 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Hair Jig

Chris, as I have already said ...... People that haven't witnessed TVA discharges just can't imagine the power and force of the current when the gates are open. Even a strong 36v motor would have a very difficult time holding it's own when within 100 yards or so of the gates.

I still have to wonder why they didn't abandon the boat immediately and take their chances swimming at an angle to the flow with the idea of getting to something that would allow them to get a handhold and at least have the possibility of being seen or heard. Their life jackets might have made this a do-able task.

A lot of people don’t know to swim at an angle in current that is sweeping you away. A lot of people also panic and don’t think to do what they know is their best option.

[Linked Image]
Re: High school team missing [Re: SC-001] #13452779 02/26/20 11:38 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Very sad

Re: High school team missing [Re: SC-001] #13452799 02/27/20 12:03 AM
Txhoghunter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
So terribly sad. I wonder about phone service in the area around the dam? Praying for the families of those missing.

Re: High school team missing [Re: Duck_Hunter] #13452820 02/27/20 12:22 AM
Greg W Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
Originally Posted by Hair Jig

A lot of people don’t know to swim at an angle in current that is sweeping you away. A lot of people also panic and don’t think to do what they know is their best option.

This. In summer of 79 I was working on Inks lake mainly teaching water skiing at a camp there. Lady was pulling her husband on skis with no watcher. She drives over the damn and he releases just as the boat goes over. He's waving, etc... but if he'd have just dropped she'd have naturally swung the boat around to pick him up. Again, hard to think clearly in life and death situations. Probably the most sickening feeling I've ever had the next morning as you can see the boat 50' below smashed on the rocks from the top of the damn. I'm thinking so easily avoided but would I have thought it all through if I'm the husband in that situation? Just pray none of us are ever in a boating situation like that.

Re: High school team missing [Re: SC-001] #13452831 02/27/20 12:28 AM
Rangerkev Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
There is so much speculation and ideas about what happened and what they should have done. To me it is very apparent that the adult had no clue or lack of knowledge about the current. Did he even know how much water was being released. As far as what they should have done when the current got them. You have an adult and parent of 1 of the boys in the boat and the 2 boys. To me it was sheer panic and fear that probably swept over them. They were inexperienced and had no emergency plan or any knowledge on what to do. It's not something that you practice for. And it could have happened so fast they didnt have time to think. The fear one gets thinking they are about to die causes total panic. From here forward any tournament on this lake should include that this area is off limits due to water release. This info should have been shared at the meeting before the tournament.

Rangerkev
Re: High school team missing [Re: Rangerkev] #13452848 02/27/20 12:38 AM
Barrett Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Rangerkev
There is so much speculation and ideas about what happened and what they should have done. To me it is very apparent that the adult had no clue or lack of knowledge about the current. Did he even know how much water was being released. As far as what they should have done when the current got them. You have an adult and parent of 1 of the boys in the boat and the 2 boys. To me it was sheer panic and fear that probably swept over them. They were inexperienced and had no emergency plan or any knowledge on what to do. It's not something that you practice for. And it could have happened so fast they didnt have time to think. The fear one gets thinking they are about to die causes total panic. From here forward any tournament on this lake should include that this area is off limits due to water release. This info should have been shared at the meeting before the tournament.

How they were allowed to fish within miles of that thing is unreal. You wouldn't catch me anywhere within sight of that sucker and thats with a working big motor, Tm and prob a buddy boat close by. Water is scary.

Re: High school team missing [Re: Barrett] #13452853 02/27/20 12:42 AM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Barrett
Originally Posted by Rangerkev

How they were allowed to fish within miles of that thing is unreal. You wouldn't catch me anywhere within sight of that sucker and thats with a working big motor, Tm and prob a buddy boat close by. Water is scary.

I have so many questions, because it seemed like there were several ways this could have been avoided. I am not placing blame, I’m just wondering if the obvious was mentioned, like an announcement that they were releasing water and to avoid the area during the tournament meeting. Again, not assigning blame on anyone else, and maybe it was just a poor decision/negligence/mistake on the captain’s part.

[Linked Image]
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide