Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,811
Posts13,953,171
Members144,178
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
How to find Crappie Brushpiles quickly and effectively, Garmin Livescope Granger Lake February 2020 #13447538 02/22/20 12:52 PM
S
Skunked Again Fishing Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Since owning my Garmin Livescope system, I've stopped using 2D side imaging and sonar systems. In this video, I show you why.

Have you ever marked a brushpile on 2D, only to idle around for 5-10 minutes trying to figure out where in the heck it is. Worse yet, you think you're on top of it, and if it's small enough you're not even fishing on top of it? That used to happen to me all the time; it was frustrating.

When you use 2D side imaging, you're facing backwards. It's like going down a highway looking in your rear view mirror trying to find the Buc'ees gas station. By the time you see it in your rear view mirror, you've already passed it. Take the next exit and you turn around; but you still have the same problem, you'll have to pass it again to see the Buc'ess.

When you learn to use Livescope properly to scan and find the brushpile, you're looking out the front of the boat. Once you see it; approach it and then spotlock on top of it. No matter which direction the brushpile is, you can pan your transducer around to see exactly where it is. Problem solved!

Even though we didn't catch a lot of fish today, we're out at Granger looking for brushpiles for later this Spring. In a few hours, we found many brushpiles, and marked 12 for another day. Enjoy the video. Tim

One 10-pounder is better than ten 1-pounders; but 100 1-pounders is ok too!
If this kind of stuff floats your boat, be a subscriber to my youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/SkunkedAgain
Get exclusive information by following SkunkedAgain Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/SkunkedAgain
Re: How to find Crappie Brushpiles quickly and effectively, Garmin Livescope Granger Lake February 2020 [Re: Skunked Again Fishing] #13448060 02/22/20 10:54 PM
C
CrazyCrappieGuy Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted by Skunked Again Fishing
When you use 2D side imaging, you're facing backwards. It's like going down a highway looking in your rear view mirror trying to find the Buc'ees gas station. By the time you see it in your rear view mirror, you've already passed it. Take the next exit and you turn around; but you still have the same problem, you'll have to pass it again to see the Buc'ess.
[/video]

Ha ha yeah that's true. I wish I would have spent more on my Minkota i pilot and got the i piot link, mark spot on hummingbird side scan, autopilot right to it. Damit! roflmao

Good tips BTW, I should sell my hummingbird side scan invest in other stuff on my boat. What remote operated livescope transducer pole you using there?

Re: How to find Crappie Brushpiles quickly and effectively, Garmin Livescope Granger Lake February 2020 [Re: Skunked Again Fishing] #13448085 02/22/20 11:21 PM
H
Harleyrockstar Offline
Angler
Angler
H
Good video Tim. The more of your videos I watch the more I think a Livescope system! Especially when fishing docks with boats in the slip already. It would be nice to see exactly where the fish are schooled up underneath. I have been on Lake Travis quite a bit lately and it feels like they make those docks difficult to fish on purpose. It would be good to see if I am wasting my time.

Granger is a fun crappie lake. It is actually my favorite lake to fish but there is a reason I don't fish it from late October to March. The fish plain disappear and do not bite! At lest that has been my experience.

Re: How to find Crappie Brushpiles quickly and effectively, Garmin Livescope Granger Lake February 2020 [Re: CrazyCrappieGuy] #13448256 02/23/20 02:47 AM
S
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by FishingGuy
Originally Posted by Skunked Again Fishing
[/video]

Ha ha yeah that's true. I wish I would have spent more on my Minkota i pilot and got the i piot link, mark spot on hummingbird side scan, autopilot right to it. Damit! roflmao

Good tips BTW, I should sell my hummingbird side scan invest in other stuff on my boat. What remote operated livescope transducer pole you using there?

I figured others suffered like I did, not ever being able to find a brush pile that you saw going right by. And never knowing if you are indeed on top of it was also frustrating. I converted an old Motorguide wireless trolling motor by taking off the head unit and motor so only the shaft remains. Screwed on the PVC for direction and mounted the x-ducer. it's the best thing for what I do with it. Thanks for your comments.
Tim

If this kind of stuff floats your boat, be a subscriber to my youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/SkunkedAgain
Get exclusive information by following SkunkedAgain Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/SkunkedAgain
Re: How to find Crappie Brushpiles quickly and effectively, Garmin Livescope Granger Lake February 2020 [Re: Harleyrockstar] #13448258 02/23/20 02:49 AM
S
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by Harleyrockstar
Good video Tim. The more of your videos I watch the more I think a Livescope system! Especially when fishing docks with boats in the slip already. It would be nice to see exactly where the fish are schooled up underneath. I have been on Lake Travis quite a bit lately and it feels like they make those docks difficult to fish on purpose. It would be good to see if I am wasting my time.

Granger is a fun crappie lake. It is actually my favorite lake to fish but there is a reason I don't fish it from late October to March. The fish plain disappear and do not bite! At lest that has been my experience.

Now you're thinking Matt. I know you'll properly devote the time to maximize its use. I've not had it, and I've had it. I'll never fish without it.
Tim

Re: How to find Crappie Brushpiles quickly and effectively, Garmin Livescope Granger Lake February 2020 [Re: Skunked Again Fishing] #13448558 02/23/20 03:56 PM
S
SK. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
L.....O.......L
Enjoyed the vid.....
That 2D SI works very well and throwing that marker ensures the structures location.....
Regardless, different strokes for different folks.... keep on scoping.....

Crappie Guide on Houston TX area lakes. Email to schedule a trip: skscrappiecatchingadventures@gmail.com or call my message line 281-301-9316

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....Onxy A/M 24 PFD's

Check Out SK's CRAPPIE Catching Adventures on YouTube....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting
Re: How to find Crappie Brushpiles quickly and effectively, Garmin Livescope Granger Lake February 2020 [Re: SK.] #13448832 02/23/20 09:46 PM
S
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by SK.
L.....O.......L
Enjoyed the vid.....
That 2D SI works very well and throwing that marker ensures the structures location.....
Regardless, different strokes for different folks.... keep on scoping.....

Yep, with 2d, throwing that marker is a necessity. Different folks do have different strokes. Thanks for your support. Tim

Re: How to find Crappie Brushpiles quickly and effectively, Garmin Livescope Granger Lake February 2020 [Re: Skunked Again Fishing] #13450362 02/24/20 11:30 PM
C
CrazyCrappieGuy Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
C
Hear is the thing tho Tim, if you are using sidescan to find brush piles, you should not market it then turnaround and go find it with livescope, that’s is not efficient. The thing to do is make a run and mark MANY spots with sidescan, then go find/fish them. So scan an area and mark all spots, then don’t mess with scanning that area again.

Re: How to find Crappie Brushpiles quickly and effectively, Garmin Livescope Granger Lake February 2020 [Re: Skunked Again Fishing] #13450675 02/25/20 05:22 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Neat video. Thanks for sharing. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: How to find Crappie Brushpiles quickly and effectively, Garmin Livescope Granger Lake February 2020 [Re: CrazyCrappieGuy] #13451224 02/25/20 07:46 PM
S
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by FishingGuy
Hear is the thing tho Tim, if you are using sidescan to find brush piles, you should not market it then turnaround and go find it with livescope, that’s is not efficient. The thing to do is make a run and mark MANY spots with sidescan, then go find/fish them. So scan an area and mark all spots, then don’t mess with scanning that area again.

The point of the video is that I don't use sidescan. I have SI, but do not use it because I use LVS exclusively to scan as well as position.
Tim

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide