Print Thread
New to Salt - Vacation in Alabama Question #13449673 02/24/20 03:59 PM
I
iFloat Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
I
Need help with this. Vacation to Gulf shores area. Hope to take kids to fish the pier? But mainly to fish a section of Mobile bay. Across the road from our resort is a public boat ramp, along fort morgan road. We think it would be fun to try it, and very convenient as well.

We were going to use our catfish pole's. Any advice on a rig and bait to try for fishing that area of the bay? Anything at all we can catch would be an awesome / fun experience for my two boys.

What licenses do I need to know about getting for that week?

Thank you for any help.

Re: New to Salt - Vacation in Alabama Question [Re: iFloat] #13450243 02/24/20 09:51 PM
F
Fishin' Nut Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
If the kids are 16 or younger. no license needed. You can buy a 7 day non resident salt water license for less than $30. Down load the Outdoor Alabama app to your phone and pay online as well. The state pier is fun place to fish. I would tour it first to see how/what the locals are catching, then head over to the local Walmart and stock up on gear. Last time I went, I took two rods, one to catch bait, one for sharks. I went about an hour before dark as the crowd has thinned out by then. You aren't allowed to bring the sharks on to the pier. I loaded a Penn saltwater with 100 lb braid and 8oz of weight with a steel leader and #10 SS hook. The sharks always won the battle, but it was a good and fun fight. Eventually the braid will hit one of the pier supports and break.

Option #2. Go past the pier towards Florida. There is a bridge that crosses over the inlet to Bayou Saint John. Right before the bridge is a parking lot on the right. At the end is a sidewalk with pole holders and bait tables. Have a bunch of frozen bait and let the kids catch fish as fast as you can unhook them.

If the place you are staying has a kitchen or outdoor grill, go to Aquila's Seafood market for shrimp and what ever else is in season. Don't buy it in the grocery store as the prices are jacked up for tourists. Aquila's If they have Royal Red shrimp get those bad boys and prepare to give your family a treat.

The kids will enjoy taking the ferry over to Dauphin Island and visiting the Sea Lab. If you want to go out to eat, go to ACME Oyster House. I could eat there every night when I go down there.

Originally Posted by OTFF
He is truly a sick individual.
Re: New to Salt - Vacation in Alabama Question [Re: iFloat] #13450424 02/25/20 12:09 AM
I
iFloat Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
I
I appreciate this info.

Re: New to Salt - Vacation in Alabama Question [Re: iFloat] #13450801 02/25/20 01:31 PM
O
Osbornfishing Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
If you just want to catch something, all you need is a hook, an egg weight, a split shot, and a piece of shrimp. Throw it out there and see what you get. If you keep losing the shrimp, then downsize the hook size till you catch the fish. The nice thing about saltwater is that you never know what you are going to catch. Once you catch a few small fish baitfish, then cut them up and throw them back out on a bigger pole and hook. If you keep losing the shrimp and get tired of baiting the hook, then use squid. Just know that squid are messy and will stain your clothes. If you want to try lures, then a gold spoon is a good bet.

Re: New to Salt - Vacation in Alabama Question [Re: Osbornfishing] #13451085 02/25/20 06:02 PM
I
iFloat Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
I
Originally Posted by Osbornfishing
If you just want to catch something, all you need is a hook, an egg weight, a split shot, and a piece of shrimp. Throw it out there and see what you get. If you keep losing the shrimp, then downsize the hook size till you catch the fish. The nice thing about saltwater is that you never know what you are going to catch. Once you catch a few small fish baitfish, then cut them up and throw them back out on a bigger pole and hook. If you keep losing the shrimp and get tired of baiting the hook, then use squid. Just know that squid are messy and will stain your clothes. If you want to try lures, then a gold spoon is a good bet.

This is great, thanks.

Re: New to Salt - Vacation in Alabama Question [Re: iFloat] #13451229 02/25/20 07:53 PM
F
Fishin' Nut Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
When you plan on going? The problem I have with GS, is I ran out of time before I get to do everything on my list.

Originally Posted by OTFF
He is truly a sick individual.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide