texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Bionic Randy, Sunsetharley, BassCrash, Jfishing, EMLake
112298 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
TexDawg 93,334
hopalong 84,906
Pilothawk 79,486
John175☮ 76,103
JDavis7873 67,398
Derek 🐝 63,909
Bigbob_FTW 62,906
Mark Perry 58,998
Tritonman 58,864
facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums62
Topics773,857
Posts9,752,705
Members112,298
Most Online36,273
Jan 23rd, 2013
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Chatterbait / bladed jig #13450335 02/24/20 10:54 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,187
E
ezbassin Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
E
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,187
Do you ever throw it as it is or do you always use some type of trailer? I hardly ever use a plastic trailer on a spinner bait so I was just wondering if anyone throws a bladed jig without a trailer.
I watched an under water video showing the difference in action and sound of several of the Chatter baits and he did not use a trailer on any of them and they looked good just like that. I have always used some type of plastic trailer on mine.

Last edited by ezbassin; 02/24/20 11:28 PM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Chatterbait/bladed jig [Re: ezbassin] #13450350 02/24/20 11:19 PM
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,409
B
bassmanrudy Offline
Extreme Angler
Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,409
I always use a trailer. And I trim the skirt to hang no longer than the hook. Also I cut some of the skirt higher up to give it some "bulk" and "flare" when popped. Sometimes I match the skirt other times i want some contrast(ie white skirt and green pumpkin paddletail).
I like-
3.5" or so paddletail swimbaits to mimic baitfish of all sorts. Usually dip the tail in chartreuse.
Twin tail grubs for crawfish/bream.
Buzz bug or speed craws for crawfish/bream.

Attached Files 20200224_180632.jpg20200224_180455.jpg20200224_180950.jpg
Last edited by bassmanrudy; 02/25/20 12:11 AM. Reason: Added pics

"I'd Rather Be Fishing"
Rudy
Mister Twister Baits! :-)
https://www.mistertwister.com/
Re: Chatterbait/bladed jig [Re: ezbassin] #13450376 02/24/20 11:40 PM
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,082
J
JohnButte Offline
Extreme Angler
Offline
Extreme Angler
J
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,082
I usually use craw trailers, sometimes swim trailers. I heard somewhere that a low action trailer is best, that something with a lot of movement counters the chattering action. Can’t prove that though. A fun variation is to lose the skirt entirely and do a beaver style bait.

Re: Chatterbait/bladed jig [Re: ezbassin] #13450420 02/25/20 12:05 AM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,213
3
361V Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
3
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,213
Sometimes a bulky swimbait and sometimes just a Zoom split tailed trailer if I want a smaller profile but these split tails still have a great action and do not seem to decrease the baits “thump”. [Linked Image]

Re: Chatterbait/bladed jig [Re: ezbassin] #13450423 02/25/20 12:09 AM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 59,000
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 59,000
I always use a trailer. the Yamamoto Zako is tough to beat.

Re: Chatterbait/bladed jig [Re: ezbassin] #13450460 02/25/20 12:43 AM
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 634
P
PlanoTom Offline
Pro Angler
Offline
Pro Angler
P
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 634
I bought some Smash Tech Blade Aids but haven’t had a chance to use them yet. They showed them on a recent HoneyHole episode and the action looked great.

Re: Chatterbait/bladed jig [Re: ezbassin] #13450499 02/25/20 01:17 AM
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,948
M
Monty Wright Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
M
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,948
90% is a LFT Live Magic Shad, the other 10% it’s a boot-tail such as Keitech. 100% there is a trailer though.


Re: Chatterbait/bladed jig [Re: ezbassin] #13450532 02/25/20 01:42 AM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 584
C
cali kid Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
C
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 584
I use a super fluke

Re: Chatterbait/bladed jig [Re: Monty Wright] #13450538 02/25/20 01:46 AM
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 5,151
S
Smurfs Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 5,151
Originally Posted by Monty Wright
90% is a LFT Live Magic Shad, the other 10% it’s a boot-tail such as Keitech. 100% there is a trailer though.

This^


Grandpa:
"Goats are for Muslim barbeque.
Is there some ethnic or religious that eats Llama?"
Re: Chatterbait/bladed jig [Re: ezbassin] #13450551 02/25/20 01:52 AM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,602
BigDozer66 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,602
Most of the time I have a trailer on it but they work without them as well. fish


2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BalZout Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount
Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Re: Chatterbait/bladed jig [Re: ezbassin] #13450697 02/25/20 06:11 AM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,277
S
SoCal Tom Offline
TFF Guru
Offline
TFF Guru
S
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,277
Zako or Magic shad. Occasionally an LFT Swimmin Slug. It's a little more subtle for cold water


[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

http://www.rayhubbardbassclub.com
President

Save the Date! 5th annual FFAC - Sunday November 1, 2020 - Lake Ray Hubbard!
https://www.fishforacureacs.org/
Re: Chatterbait/bladed jig [Re: ezbassin] #13450698 02/25/20 06:24 AM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,529
T
Thad Rains Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
T
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,529
I use a trailer about 95 to 100% of the time. GREAT bait with a trailer on it, you can slow down, speed up, let it fall, wake it, etc. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains


Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Re: Chatterbait/bladed jig [Re: ezbassin] #13450730 02/25/20 11:59 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 384
P
Polly Gosh Lizard Offline
Angler
Offline
Angler
P
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 384
I use a paddle tail and cut it short but got to say, I have only caught one bass using a Chatter bait here on Toledo Bend. I rarely see anyone using them here. I use spinner baits much more than chatter baits. Don't know if it is just me or what. I always have one on and throw them a lot but I just can't catch anything on them. HELP !


Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Bobby


Re: Chatterbait/bladed jig [Re: Polly Gosh Lizard] #13450768 02/25/20 12:55 PM
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 84,907
hopalong Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 84,907
Originally Posted by Polly Gosh Lizard
I use a paddle tail and cut it short but got to say, I have only caught one bass using a Chatter bait here on Toledo Bend. I rarely see anyone using them here. I use spinner baits much more than chatter baits. Don't know if it is just me or what. I always have one on and throw them a lot but I just can't catch anything on them. HELP !


try bumping timber with it, slow retrieve and barely nick it. seems to help on fork.
I also do a slow retrieve and will raise and drop the rod tip a foot or 2, gets hit on the fall a lot. just be sure to set the hood twice.

always a trailer and most of the time a big bite baits paddle tail or similar. craws if fishing real shallow in spring/summer.


lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: Chatterbait/bladed jig [Re: ezbassin] #13450772 02/25/20 12:59 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 11,192
Ken A. Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 11,192
Originally Posted by ezbassin
Do you ever throw it as it is or do you always use some type of trailer? I hardly ever use a plastic trailer on a spinner bait so I was just wondering if anyone throws a bladed jig without a trailer.
I watched an under water video showing the difference in action and sound of several of the Chatter baits and he did not use a trailer on any of them and they looked good just like that. I have always used some type of plastic trailer on mine.


I throw mine most of the time with no trailer. They seem to hunt better with no trailer on back. Any trailer you put on it dulls the erratic darting motion of the baits. If I were pitching it into heavy cover and swimming it out I would use some sort of plastic trailer but for searching I do not use one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread


© 1998-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3