grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by Brent S
Originally Posted by grout-scout
Originally Posted by Kuhuna
Why is the Motor Guide tour pro getting no love? True cable steer and works with any graph. I have my eye on it.

No love, because they won’t ever build one to sale! My bud had one on order for 3 months and they missed their release date and have no new release date at this time. He canceled the order and bought a ghost.

Did you forget that the other trolling motors did the same thing?

The Garmin and Lowrance were both released on their stated date. MG can’t find a supplier for one of their parts on the Tour Pro.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: MK Ultrex vs Garmin Force [Re: reelswift] #13447042 02/21/20 09:18 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by reelswift

2. The Ghost was somewhat entertaining but lost some interest after watching a video that showed it to be very loud underwater.

Oh you mean the video by the guy that’s sponsored by Garmin??? roflmao

[Linked Image]

That video is the biggest sham ever produced. Here is a real users video, without bias.

Re: MK Ultrex vs Garmin Force [Re: reelswift] #13447120 02/21/20 10:33 PM
B
Bryan O' Offline
Angler
Angler
B
I just put a Ghost on my boat, and really like it. It is extremely strong. The mount is very solid, and doesn't move in rough water. It seems very quiet, however, I'm coming from a MotorGuide older Tour. It was worn, and pretty noisy. A few things I really like about the Ghost: I run Lowrance units, and the interface was real easy, and mostly plug and play. The Ghost rigs real clean - I mean super clean. The transducer cable connects below deck to the foot-petal. One cable. It doesn't wrap around the head, doesn't stick up when it's stored, and is just clean. The motor stores a little lower profile than an Ultrex also - a little easier to see around. The mount seems really easy to stow and deploy as well. The anchor feature works real well, and has made me a little hard-headed about leaving the off-shore haunts.

I have a few concerns as well: like others the electric steer concerns me - how long will it last. The cables in my old MG went 6 years. Lowrance's customer service also isn't known for ringing the bell, and with a new product that's a risk. I've got to get used to the feel of electric steer. The nosecone of the motor is interchangeable transducers, and I've heard that the next gen of forward scan will have a transducer that can be changed out - that may be interesting. Another interesting option is that the motor is convertible from 24 to 36 volt. And it's supposed to be almost 90 pounds in 24 volt. I may give it a try in 24 volt to see if I could get rid of a battery.

As I said I came from an older MG, and when I decided to change, I was going to go with either the Ghost of the new MotorGuide, whichever was here first. Lowrance won. Only time will tell how it last and holds-up, but so far, it seems very good.

Bryan O'
Total Recreation Products Inc.
Commercial Park and Playground Products and Services
totalrecreation.net
Ranger Z521c 250ProXS V8
Re: MK Ultrex vs Garmin Force [Re: reelswift] #13447127 02/21/20 10:36 PM
C
catslayer Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
I never buy version 1.0 of something... But the force looks cool

I love the ultrex we have

"I'll never mess with bee's or wasp anymore, and I'll never gig another beaver..." Words from a man who learned things the hard way
Re: MK Ultrex vs Garmin Force [Re: reelswift] #13447182 02/21/20 11:18 PM
Minner Bucket Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
I like my Ultrex and would definitely have another. I have no experience with the Garmin but my dealer has one on his demo and said his only complaint was foot pedal was way too sensitive and didn’t have a way to adjust tension.

Re: MK Ultrex vs Garmin Force [Re: Minner Bucket] #13447374 02/22/20 02:52 AM
Happykamper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I have had Ultrex since they came out, my new boat will have Lowrance Ghost, just seems to be a better motor, really like all the features.

[Linked Image]
Re: MK Ultrex vs Garmin Force [Re: reelswift] #13447413 02/22/20 03:46 AM
F
FXfromTx Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
My dad put a Force on one of his boats and I was very impressed with it. First time out(before updating) the anchor feature did go nuts at first but it only lasted about 15 seconds and all was good after that. He has updated it and said it is even more accurate. I like it enough I'll be making the switch to Force on my next trip to DFW.

"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad."
Re: MK Ultrex vs Garmin Force [Re: FXfromTx] #13447495 02/22/20 10:31 AM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by FXfromTx
My dad put a Force on one of his boats and I was very impressed with it. First time out(before updating) the anchor feature did go nuts at first but it only lasted about 15 seconds and all was good after that. He has updated it and said it is even more accurate. I like it enough I'll be making the switch to Force on my next trip to DFW.

sartin marine in yantis had a 50" when I picked up my 57".

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: MK Ultrex vs Garmin Force [Re: reelswift] #13447563 02/22/20 01:47 PM
C
cantcatch5 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Bump for you as I logged onto make almost the exact same post!

I know I plan on adding Livescope at the bow and that has me wanting a force. I also know I prefer the feel of cable steer which points me to an Ultrex.

The two setups I am considering are a Force with a 12” screen Garmin and livescope at the bow and a 10” Garmin at the console. OR an Ultrex linked to a Humminbird each at the bow and console Plus a Garmin with livescope at the bow. I just can’t decide and it is too much money to make a mistake and regret!

Re: MK Ultrex vs Garmin Force [Re: reelswift] #13448096 02/22/20 11:40 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
I like minn kota but after watching the threads for the last couple of years, the ultrex just seems to be plagued with too many issues. Granted most seem to be on the minor side and can be fixed by the user but who really wants to spend a couple grand and have to work on it? I am curious how the other models hold up over the next couple of years.

Re: MK Ultrex vs Garmin Force [Re: reelswift] #13448831 02/23/20 09:45 PM
BrockstaRama Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Why is the Motor Guide tour pro getting no love? True cable steer and works with any graph. I have my eye on it.

I did not know the MG was compatible with any graph so that opens up the menu. Back to research LOL

It's priced lower as well. I loved my MG with anchor and the move 5 feet to the left or right function is something I really miss. The shaft kept breaking because it would deploy at speed after hitting a rouge wave and snap. Other then that I liked it alot but the new mg with cable came out after I had already purchased my Ultrex with DI

When I am not fishing I am thinking about fishing. And mostly what I should have done differently my last trip!
#Brockstarama
Re: MK Ultrex vs Garmin Force [Re: BrockstaRama] #13448917 02/23/20 11:24 PM
R
reelswift Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
R
Originally Posted by BrockstaRama

I did not know the MG was compatible with any graph so that opens up the menu. Back to research LOL

It's priced lower as well. I loved my MG with anchor and the move 5 feet to the left or right function is something I really miss. The shaft kept breaking because it would deploy at speed after hitting a rouge wave and snap. Other then that I liked it alot but the new mg with cable came out after I had already purchased my Ultrex with DI

What graph do you have paired with the Ultrex DI ?

Team LVS34
Captain WNB
Re: MK Ultrex vs Garmin Force [Re: reelswift] #13449655 02/24/20 03:48 PM
OzzieFish Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I have an Ultrex and mostly fish Fork... I've busted one shaft and after this weekend I know I'll bust another very soon. I can't see any stumps right now. The new shaft is getting a major workout... The ghost might be what I need because it has a spring that really helps in a stumpy lake like Fork. I also like the Power Pole buttons on the side of the foot pedal and I run Lowrance units... I'll be waiting to see how this shakes out.

Re: MK Ultrex vs Garmin Force [Re: reelswift] #13449907 02/24/20 05:44 PM
C
Chris G Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
C
I had one of the very first Ultrex sold as they came out right when I was getting my new V20 in March of 2017. I never had any significant issues with it but did break the shaft and also bent the prop shaft. Both of these I viewed as my fault for going too fast and hitting Monticello "concrete" stumps. That being said, I just switched everything over last week to Garmin from HB/Ultrex.

The main reason for the switch was wanting to have LIvescope and the reviews I got directly from some guys who had the Force on their boats already.

My initial impressions after about 8 hours with it this weekend are the following:
1. The strength/speed of the Force is INSANE. On high, it would get my boat up to nearly 4 mph.
2. On speeds of 50% or less the motor is virtually silent. Even when on full power I would say its 50% quieter than the Ultrex. i was shocked how quiet this motor was.
3. The noise of the head spinning is probably less than 1/3 of the noise the Ultrex made
4. The one drawback I am still working through is the pedal is insanely sensitive. I started getting use to it but it's very different than the Ultrex. I am going to tighten the tension knob to see what that does when I get back on my boat in a couple of weeks.
5. Anchor/Spot Lock was about the same as the Ultrex but it didn't seem to let me drift as far off the spot before moving me back as the Ultrex would do at times

Other than the sensitive pedal, I was incredibly impressed with all other aspects of the Force.

One non-trolling motor specific thing I really liked was that when I turned everything on and connected my cell phone to the graphs via the Garmin App, it instantly recognized every device I had on my boat, registered them, then told me 2 of them needed software updates which I did all through my phone. The app itself was even very cool and has a map on it which actually has all of my way points and trails on it. It was also VERY easy to move all my way points and trails from the HB units to the Garmin.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: MK Ultrex vs Garmin Force [Re: Minner Bucket] #13449918 02/24/20 05:48 PM
C
Chris G Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted by Minner Bucket
I like my Ultrex and would definitely have another. I have no experience with the Garmin but my dealer has one on his demo and said his only complaint was foot pedal was way too sensitive and didn’t have a way to adjust tension.

I had this same issue. However, there is a knob on the left side of the pedal than can be adjusted. I haven't adjusted mine yet but plan to next time I am on the boat.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide