texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,021
TexDawg 119,788
Bigbob_FTW 95,327
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,356
Mark Perry 72,488
Derek 🐝 68,322
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,906
Posts13,955,085
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Mounting a new Terrova. (long) #13447620 02/22/20 02:43 PM
B
BillS2006 Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
B
Got my new Terrova in last Monday. After getting it unboxed and getting the instructions out, I began removing my "old" MotorGuide. That proved to be a little challenging, as there was no access to the underside of the deck, and of course the nuts turned. After looking it over, I decided to drill off the bolt heads and punch it bolts thru. That worked fine except for one bolt that turned with the drill bit. I moved on to the other bolts and after drilling them out, I was able to use the troll motor mount to apply a little pressure on the bolt and got it drilled. After removing the old troll motor, I cleaned and blue taped the front deck to keep from scratching the finish. I set the Terrova on the deck, and started trying to find the best position. It was at this point I had to go do a little research on mounting bolts for blind bolting. I decided on the Rite Hite isolator bolts. So I shut down the install and ordered an 8 piece set of the bolts. They arrived Thursday and Friday morning I continued the install. After drilling one bolt hole and installing the first Rite-Hite, I was feeling a little unsure of how strong these bolts were going to be. But I continued and got four bolts installed and tightened down. Man, I am impressed! I tried to move the troll motor mount and it is solid! Powered up the troll motor and all is well. Got the heading sensor mounted and powered. Now I need to remove the Terrova, fill the old troll motor mounting holes ( unable to make use of any of them), silicon the heading sensor cable passthru, and remove all the blue tape. I think I will really enjoy this new troll motor. Besides the anchor mode and auto pilot, it is a power upgrade also. My old troll motor is a 40# thrust where the Terrova is a 55# thrust.

Transgenders: God made them, the devil changed their minds.
Re: Mounting a new Terrova. (long) [Re: BillS2006] #13447748 02/22/20 04:46 PM
S
swglenn Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
I installed mine in December, an 80# saltwater. I just got around to installing my heading sensor this week but haven't calibrated it yet. I have had it in the water once to use the spot lock and to set a course and have the boat follow it. I really liked it. Are you going to install a TM transducer? I have watched a couple of videos of people routing the transducer cable and it is not as clean as I would like.

Re: Mounting a new Terrova. (long) [Re: BillS2006] #13447755 02/22/20 04:50 PM
J
javelin150 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Keep some extra isolator bolts in the boat with you. They usually last about a year or so. The rubber eventually breaks down and causes that bolt to be loose.

When they go out, think about changing them over to heavy duty stainless steel snap toggle bolts

Re: Mounting a new Terrova. (long) [Re: javelin150] #13447863 02/22/20 06:51 PM
B
BillS2006 Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by javelin150
Keep some extra isolator bolts in the boat with you. They usually last about a year or so. The rubber eventually breaks down and causes that bolt to be loose.

When they go out, think about changing them over to heavy duty stainless steel snap toggle bolts

Thanks, that is good advise. Already had the rubber tear on one of the Rite Hites.

swglen....I am buying a new depth finder and will make sure it works with he Minn Kota Universal built in.

Re: Mounting a new Terrova. (long) [Re: BillS2006] #13449212 02/24/20 03:34 AM
S
swglenn Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
The Terrova purchase options are no transducer, or a Universal Transducer 2 which I think is only 2D, or a Mega Down Imaging transducer. If you want something else you have to mount an external transducer onto the TM and route the cable up the shaft. Because the shaft runs through the steering motor housing if you mount an external transducer the cable has to be routed outside the shaft and around the steering motor housing. The cable has to run far enough up the shaft to be above the deepest motor depth you will use. There can't be any ties (except for the top tie) along the shaft because that will interfere with the shaft dropping through the steering motor housing. You also have to be aware of any pinch points that might cut the transducer cable as the TM deploys.
Here are a couple of videos I have seen:
https://youtu.be/_dBPDzZKT-w
https://youtu.be/wU-ZG-fbcUk

Re: Mounting a new Terrova. (long) [Re: javelin150] #13468610 03/12/20 01:33 PM
B
BillS2006 Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by javelin150

Finally got a chance to go play with the new Terrova. I LOVE IT! Takes a little learning over a Motor Guide, but I really love the MinnKota. After a windy rough water day, after loading I found the Rite Hite rubber bolts are loose. Maybe just need tightening, but I have already bought a set of the toggle bolts and will replace the rubber bolts today. I also had installed a new Lowrance depth finder, and since I never use the down scan, the universal transducer in the troll motor works fine.
I bought the foot pedal for the troll motor and while I like the remote, I like the way the foot pedal works also, so much easier than the old Motor Guide. I did learn that when using the "anchor", don't pitch the remote to a boat seat, it is so sensitive it knocked the anchor off and I drifted a good ways before realizing it. Never did get back to the fish I was on.
Still learning about saving the Spot Lock and going back to a location.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide