Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Ryan Newman! [Re: greenen] #13445255 02/20/20 12:20 PM
Bandit 200 XP Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by greenen
That was a bad one. Glad he made out that well.

thumb

Triton 200 XP
200 Yamaha 0X66
Re: Ryan Newman! [Re: Jimbo] #13445302 02/20/20 01:24 PM
fouzman Offline OP
Methuselah
OP Offline
Methuselah
Originally Posted by Jimbo
They said on the news last night that he had designed an "extra bar" to be added to the roll cages, which probably saved his own life.

They call it the "Newman Bar". After his bad wreck in 2003, he lobbied NASCAR to add an extra bar over the top of the roll cage to protect the driver. NASCAR did it and that probably saved his life. At least that's what I read.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Ryan Newman! [Re: fouzman] #13445314 02/20/20 01:37 PM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by fouzman
They said on the news last night that he had designed an "extra bar" to be added to the roll cages, which probably saved his own life.

They call it the "Newman Bar". After his bad wreck in 2003, he lobbied NASCAR to add an extra bar over the top of the roll cage to protect the driver. NASCAR did it and that probably saved his life. At least that's what I read.

so
how come passenger cars are not this safe?

Re: Ryan Newman! [Re: fouzman] #13445324 02/20/20 01:43 PM
Jimbo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
The changes that NASCAR made over the years since Dale Sr.s wreak has saved a lot of drivers.
That wall absorbing the impact did what it was designed to do, and his car hitting that wall reminded me of when Dale Sr. hit the wall almost exactly the same way.
You could see the wall give from the impact, but when he flipped and the other car T boned him on the drivers side I knew that wasn't going to be good.

Just one more cast!

Re: Ryan Newman! [Re: butch sanders] #13445329 02/20/20 01:47 PM
Jimbo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by butch sanders

so

I've often thought this myself.
Those cages are made to protect the driver doing 200 mph, so why can't cars be built with a cage that can protect from say 100 mph?
Yeah, I know, weight, yada, yada, yada!

Just one more cast!

Re: Ryan Newman! [Re: butch sanders] #13445417 02/20/20 03:02 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Jr Deputy Dan

so

Several factors. The biggest one is price of course. The technology is out there, but its not cheap. People would flip their sh** and cars would be affordable to the masses if we made them as safe as we possibly could... its a known compromise.

Another big one is convinces. What are we willing to put up with? We know, beyond any doubt, that four point seat belts are much better at keeping a passenger or driver from moving in an impact. But who wants to be bothered with a cumbersome process such as strapping one of those on and making sure its properly adjusted for each occupant? Its a hassle.

Look at racing seats. They are not meant to be comfortable. They are designed to be safe. They cradle the head and neck area and flare out to protect the drivers mid section. Big time racers like NASCAR have them custom made to fit the drivers body like a glove. That would add tremendous cost to a car, not to mention who would want to sit in an uncomfortable arse seat?

Making passenger cars safer will only go so far, its the drivers that are the problem. Outlaw cell phone use and implement tech that makes sure you cannot use cell phones when driving...that would cut auto deaths in half right there.

Re: Ryan Newman! [Re: fouzman] #13445539 02/20/20 04:28 PM
C
Crankbait08 Offline
Angler
Angler
C
That's good news. Just saw were him and his wife are getting a divorce 5 days before the big wreck.

Re: Ryan Newman! [Re: butch sanders] #13445541 02/20/20 04:29 PM
J
JohnF67 Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
J

so

If you look at today's passenger cars, versus cars from the 80's it's night and day. I became a volunteer fireman in 1982 and finally gave it up in around 2007. The mid eighties were carnage, until airbags showed up. I remember he first head on collision I saw with an air bag equipped car. I was thinking double fatality. I was wrong, the guy in the pick up died, the guy in the Chrysler Lebaron with an airbag walked away. The old timers on the fire department swore that "back in the day" when they used to be able to do extrication with a Saws All and Porta-power because cars just didn't crumple they were safer. Us kids with our Jaws of Life, didn't understand simple physics. In reality the physics were newer cars crumpled to absorb energy and protect passengers.

There's a Chevy video on Youtube of a head on, offset collision between a 1960 Chevy Bellaire and a late model Impala. The Bellaire barely crumpled and the crash test dummy sustained fatal g-forces and impacts. The Impala looked like it had already been through a car crusher and the dummy suffered minor injuries.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide