O
Oldrabbit Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
O
Originally Posted by Keystone
Originally Posted by Oldrabbit
Keystone, hope your doctors visit gets you some relief. I put us with a swollen big toe for months. Tried the Cherry Juice and several other home remedies and thought they were working. It would come and go with no rhyme or reason and finally went and had my Uric Acid checked at my semiannual physical. No help there so I was sent to a Podiatric Medicine doctor. One X-Ray and it showed a piece of a broken bone spur down in the big toe joint. I limped into the hospital for surgery and walked out almost pain free a few hours later. Best wishes.

2 Shots and two Prescriptions..doctor said the shots will take effect in less than one hour..I hope so..Gout is some bad painful stuff..dont wish this on anyone.

Did they check you uric acid levels or just give you the shots?

Re: Big Toe Gout [Re: Oldrabbit] #13442820 02/18/20 03:15 AM
T
TR176 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Keystone, hope your doctors visit gets you some relief. I put us with a swollen big toe for months. Tried the Cherry Juice and several other home remedies and thought they were working. It would come and go with no rhyme or reason and finally went and had my Uric Acid checked at my semiannual physical. No help there so I was sent to a Podiatric Medicine doctor. One X-Ray and it showed a piece of a broken bone spur down in the big toe joint. I limped into the hospital for surgery and walked out almost pain free a few hours later. Best wishes.

2 Shots and two Prescriptions..doctor said the shots will take effect in less than one hour..I hope so..Gout is some bad painful stuff..dont wish this on anyone.

The only way to check uric acid levels is by a 24 hour urine study.The only thing that affects uric acid is animal flesh. It is well taken to avoid a opulent diets and to lose weigh and to drink fluids because peeing ultimately flushes out everything.

Re: Big Toe Gout [Re: bigfishtx] #13442829 02/18/20 03:25 AM
F
fmrmbmlm Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted by bigfishtx
Originally Posted by NoWeighers
I think I have read everything ever written about gout.. I was a chronic sufferer for years.. Till I totally changed my diet. (which sucks)

Uric acid crystals building up in the joints is the cause of the pain.. Minute and pointed, they build up and poke at your nerves..

Foods high in purines are the primary cause of acid buildup. All the stuff I like, I can't eat..

Venison.. Beef.. All red meats.. Crawfish, oysters, shrimp, all bad.. Bacon bad.. Beer and all alcohols bad..

Deer meat is a killer for me.. Always wondered why every November 15 to Thanksgiving I had a bad attack..

Lots of vegetables are also high in purines..

I have tried the Alopurinol but it tears my stomach a new one..

Indomethacin is a great relatively fast acting cure.. I don't leave home without it..

A big dose of Prednisone or a shot of steroids fixes me pretty fast..

But I have had it for a week before and it will incapacitate you if you have it bad..

I have felt your pain fellows and I won't wish it on anyone..

No attacks in two years without medicine.. But eating ain't what it used to be..

Bacon too!?!? sheesh.

Plus butterbeans

Re: Big Toe Gout [Re: Fishin' Nut] #13443291 02/18/20 04:51 PM
F
fishslime Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted by Fishin' Nut
Originally Posted by Patriot Guard Rider
I've had it for many years. I take 1 allopurinol tab every morning and haven't had an issue with it in at least 30 years.

This. It's been five years for me since I started on Allopurinol. Once you get it will reoccur.

Same here. l take allopurinol once a day for over 30 years with no problem - eat and drink what I want. You don't want to get it too often or it will mess up the toe joint permanently. I had it three times before going on the allopurinol, and that was too much. My toe joint has bothered me mildly off and on ever since.

Re: Big Toe Gout [Re: Keystone] #13443358 02/18/20 05:44 PM
W
wytex Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
Spouse had it, uric acids levels too low for meds. Drink water, lots of it all day. He does this and has not had a flare in years. Still drinks beer and liquor, eats what he wants just drinks lots of water and pees all day, lol.
Our brewmaster friend has it and takes the meds, he gets swelling but not real flare ups. He still drinks beer and liquor but watches the amount of red meats he intakes, sausages included , and drink lots of water.

Re: Big Toe Gout [Re: Oldrabbit] #13443364 02/18/20 05:46 PM
K
Keystone Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
K

No didn't ck my uric acid levels, one look the doctor knew what it was..if it comes back anytime soon they will ck my levels..small diet change for me will be in order.

Re: Big Toe Gout [Re: Keystone] #13443719 02/18/20 11:30 PM
pacertom Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I've had gout on and off for the last 10 years. It is the most painful thing I have ever had. When I forst got it, started in the big toe then progressed to the ankle....Can't walk at all. Several times had to crawl to the restroom.

But the worst was when it hits my knee......OMG it is so dang painful. This pic doesn't do it justice...

I have tried Alapurinol, Uloric and none of them work. Indomethacin can help during an attack but usually its too late. Best advice I can give as a true expert is Black Cherry juice., Black cherry extract pills (GNC), water water water and more water.

Last attack and the left knee was exactly twice the size of the right....Took 11 days to subside.
[Linked Image]

A MAN WILL NEVER GO TO HIS GRAVE WISHING HE'D FISHED LESS!!
Re: Big Toe Gout [Re: pacertom] #13443869 02/19/20 02:01 AM
K
Keystone Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
K
Originally Posted by pacertom
I've had gout on and off for the last 10 years. It is the most painful thing I have ever had. When I forst got it, started in the big toe then progressed to the ankle....Can't walk at all. Several times had to crawl to the restroom.

But the worst was when it hits my knee......OMG it is so dang painful. This pic doesn't do it justice...

I have tried Alapurinol, Uloric and none of them work. Indomethacin can help during an attack but usually its too late. Best advice I can give as a true expert is Black Cherry juice., Black cherry extract pills (GNC), water water water and more water.

Last attack and the left knee was exactly twice the size of the right....Took 11 days to subside.
[Linked Image]

Wow...it was in my ankle started in my toe..that has to be hell in that knee

Re: Big Toe Gout [Re: Keystone] #13444071 02/19/20 12:38 PM
G
GuyR Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Arginex from Standard Process helps for me. As soon as I feel an episode coming I start a high dose of 6-7 pills morning and evening until the pain subsides. The pain went from lasting a week or more to a day or two and doesnโ€™t get near as severe. Bonus is itโ€™s all natural.

Re: Big Toe Gout [Re: pacertom] #13444108 02/19/20 01:21 PM
Happykamper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

[Linked Image]

I cannot imagine having gout in one of my knees, they would just have to put me to sleep for a week. Mine started in the big toe, then the ankles, then the wrist, I have to say the wrist was by far the worst. I tried the cherry juice, and all the other home remedies, did not work, been on alapurinol for a few years now, no attacks, eat and drink what I please. Also drink plenty of water, dehydration will trigger gout.

[Linked Image]
Re: Big Toe Gout [Re: pacertom] #13444124 02/19/20 01:29 PM
Gungle Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler

[Linked Image]

Man, that looks painful! Have you tried a compression type knee brace?

Re: Big Toe Gout [Re: Keystone] #13444125 02/19/20 01:30 PM
Okie Poke Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
I've had gout three times in my life and I hope and pray that it never comes back. Big toe. Been 5 years since I had an episode. Weird as ever feeling it coming on. Don't know what triggered it but cherry juice and rest is all I did. Took about 5 days to get completely over it. Sounds like Allapurinol works for most. I hope the others recover quickly from it. PAINFUL is an understatement!

๐Ÿ˜Ž Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Re: Big Toe Gout [Re: Keystone] #13444306 02/19/20 03:22 PM
B
bigfishtx Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
PacerTom, you're a man, THE MAN. whew that looks bad.

OT HARD fur reel.

Keep the Lord in your heart and keep your powder dry.
5:5
Re: Big Toe Gout [Re: bigfishtx] #13444336 02/19/20 03:46 PM
pacertom Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by bigfishtx
PacerTom, you're a man, THE MAN. whew that looks bad.

OT HARD fur reel.

One more pic, this one was last year, had to use a cane for 10 days and couldn't put my shoe on. The entire foot and up through the ankle on that accute attack.

Yeh, gout pretty much sux.

[Linked Image]

A MAN WILL NEVER GO TO HIS GRAVE WISHING HE'D FISHED LESS!!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide