Forums59
Topics1,039,142
Posts13,959,864
Members144,192
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: DRONE AND BOAT HACKS - NEED IDEAS [Re: Blue Moon] #13440838 02/15/20 10:34 PM
J
Jon Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
OK Blue Moon, now I see what you did there. You already had my attention with the AI facial recognition stuff you have been posting about, but this thread puts things in terms even I can understand. Good Job with that - I think I am now awake. (or is it woke nowadays?)

Question is, what can we do about the harvesting / selling of our personal information or is it already too late???
I don't Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Pinterest, Quora, Nextdoor, TikTok or even Gaia Online.

I do use google and Gmail. Gmail by itself is nefarious but I still use it. TFF and THF is about the extent of my social media and I try to keep location services turned off on my phone unless using a weather app, Google Maps, or Waze. But to just use most apps or even run a smart phone, you pretty much have to choose the Accept box so what is the solution for privacy of myself and my data???

Re: DRONE AND BOAT HACKS - NEED IDEAS [Re: OTFF] #13440953 02/16/20 12:56 AM
S
steveiam Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by OTFF
BS Alert!

I too am going with BS-
And if not personally I think it’s a DH thing to do-
I would never send you any money for anything that would help support doing this-

What has happed to you does not define who you are-

HOW you react to what happens to you DOES!
Re: DRONE AND BOAT HACKS - NEED IDEAS [Re: Blue Moon] #13440999 02/16/20 01:48 AM
cocodrie Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
This is great. It will do especially well in the SaltLife. Can we hack the Bluetooth controllers on Power Poles?

Re: DRONE AND BOAT HACKS - NEED IDEAS [Re: John175☮] #13441009 02/16/20 01:55 AM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by John175☮
From a drone, Ultrex full power left then right then left then right. Video the guy on the front deck.

eeks

Re: DRONE AND BOAT HACKS - NEED IDEAS [Re: Blue Moon] #13441019 02/16/20 02:01 AM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
popcorn2

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: DRONE AND BOAT HACKS - NEED IDEAS [Re: Jon] #13441431 02/16/20 07:03 PM
B
Blue Moon Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted by Jon
OK Blue Moon, now I see what you did there. You already had my attention with the AI facial recognition stuff you have been posting about, but this thread puts things in terms even I can understand. Good Job with that - I think I am now awake. (or is it woke nowadays?)

Question is, what can we do about the harvesting / selling of our personal information or is it already too late???
I don't Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Pinterest, Quora, Nextdoor, TikTok or even Gaia Online.

I do use google and Gmail. Gmail by itself is nefarious but I still use it. TFF and THF is about the extent of my social media and I try to keep location services turned off on my phone unless using a weather app, Google Maps, or Waze. But to just use most apps or even run a smart phone, you pretty much have to choose the Accept box so what is the solution for privacy of myself and my data???

Thanks for all of the engagement and playing along. I enjoy writing stories that tie together things I’m passionate about. Flying, fishing, tech startups and the ongoing battle for digital privacy are all in my wheelhouse so I cobbled together a little story to try to lighten things up in the OT and as Jon suspected, to shine light on the privacy, or more specifically, data aggregation issue.

Some of you know that I’ve been involved with dozens of startups including several Tier 1 ISPs that carry the majority of the world’s Internet traffic. I’m also involved with traditional advertising and digital marketing. In other words, I have unique insight into the issue. My story is a simple example of how your data is being exploited.

In my analogy I used silly waypoint boat data to represent everyone’s personal data that is actually being scraped, combined, and exploited constantly from every source imaginable. The companies exploiting your actual data have the same level of ethics and concern for your personal data and wellbeing as the wicked startup hacker in my story.

I’ve been in the room dozens of times when ideas were hatched that launched startups, apps, products and services. Most follow a similar flow as my story. I’m just trying to provide some insight to give everyone an idea of what we’re up against.

The privacy issue is complicated and the technology behind it is mostly hidden from view so it's difficult for most people to get their head around it. Instead of thinking the cat is out of the bag and we can’t do anything about it, if we unite and come together, we can stop damaging data aggregation through regulation. Aggregated data is the headwater where most of the privacy problems that harm us start.

I felt like I made some progress by the way some of you responded to the villain in my story. I truly feel this is a liberty and freedom issue. We all need to rise up with passion to stop data aggregation and long term storage of our metadata. Your data, and the data of everyone you love, will continue to be exploited until you finally stand up and demand it stops. That means you and yours will be targeted, conned, and discriminated against, and otherwise harmed until you stop it. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not inciting violence, just regulation...

What I’m suggesting will in no way hurt the Internet but it will go a long way toward fixing it. Amazon, Google (Alphabet), Facebook, Apple or Microsoft will all be fine. It might sting a few of their “third party partners” that are data aggregators but they will survive. They just need to be regulated.

To come up to speed on this issue I suggest everyone start by reading Data and Goliath, The Hidden Battle to Collect Your Data and Control Your World by Bruce Schneier. It’s one of the best books on the subject written for a nontechnical mainstream audience. It also provides a high level overview on practical steps to take. If anyone needs guidance on the subject, feel free to look me up privately.

BTW, if your Ultrex goes wacky, don’t shoot me, I’m just the messenger…

Blue Moon

Re: DRONE AND BOAT HACKS - NEED IDEAS [Re: Blue Moon] #13441465 02/16/20 08:19 PM
John175☮ Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Big data is a magnificent yet terrifying tool. Used for my purposes it is fine but marketing turns it into an onslaught of junk mail/email.

“Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men.” -JFK
Re: DRONE AND BOAT HACKS - NEED IDEAS [Re: John175☮] #13441469 02/16/20 08:22 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Big data is a magnificent yet terrifying tool. Used for my purposes it is fine but marketing turns it into an onslaught of junk mail/email.

skynet will swallow us all up and all that will be left are the machines. nuts

Re: DRONE AND BOAT HACKS - NEED IDEAS [Re: hopalong] #13441482 02/16/20 08:37 PM
John175☮ Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Originally Posted by hopalong

skynet will swallow us all up and all that will be left are the machines. nuts

I stay unpredictable. Algorithms hate unpredictability so they toss it out. Skynet would exclude me from the dataset. nuts

“Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men.” -JFK
Re: DRONE AND BOAT HACKS - NEED IDEAS [Re: Blue Moon] #13441636 02/17/20 12:45 AM
T
TR176 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Blue Moon
February 15 Update:

Good news - After a wild night of Valentine’s fun we somehow managed to launch and recover one of our UAVs (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle), along with a manned fixed wing aircraft this morning that I’m sure many of you noticed flying low and slow over your favorite honeyholes. We accomplished the mission’s goal by collecting sonar, mobile and GoPro data from well over 1,000 targets fishing on Athens and Fork.

We’re in the process of analysing the data. One of the next steps will be to cobble it together with readily available aggregated mobile and social data. This process will allow us to associate known users with the newly acquired boat sonar, mobile and video data. Once we have the match, all future data gathered for each specific target and associated devices will be combined to build a more comprehensive user profile.

Flight missions will resume tomorrow. The initial results are very encouraging so we’ve decided to expand the scope of the project.

In the near future we’ll be offering fast internet with global coverage, for a low cost so you can connect, sync, store, and share all your personal and device data.

The following subscription based platform services will include:

• Monitor specific lakes for hotspots based on real time data
  • Download your favorite pro’s honeyhole waypoint data
  • Monitor ramp parking real time to find the best place to launch
  • Interact and monitor any connected boat on the water from any location in the world
  • Monitor your lake house and interact with anyone fishing near or accessing your dock
  • Watch streaming video of anyone on the water with an active GoPro or wireless camera
  • Download your favorite pro’s internet browsing history and contact info - Find out who Big O really is!!!
  • Download boat lanes for your favorite lake
  • More to come!

PROSTAFF UPDATE - We’ll soon add to our prostaff. We need wardrive volunteers to help capture device and digital information at major tournaments and area boat ramps. No experience is needed. Just a willingness to carry one of our fully automated wardrive devices along for the ride when you go fishing.

Lake home owners and lake front businesses can join our prostaff network by deploying small dock sensors and beacons that will automatically interrogate and upload data to our platform from nearby wireless devices.

Looking at our roadmap, we expect to offer the additional following services:

• Digital Tournament Experience - since we’re building the platform that will eventually connect and collect all boat device traffic, we’ll be able to create a much better digital experience for fishermen and fans.
  • Catching Analytics - Find out what lure and technique is actually catching fish. Our real time data will show what is actually working and what’s not.
  • Ramp Monitoring - Since we’ll be monitoring the lakes we’ll also have smart device metadata on everyone that enters a parking lot. We’ll be able to provide GPS coordinates to help you hunt down anyone that messed with your stuff!
  • CyberSecurity - We’ll provide services to protect your honeyhole waypoint information, autopilot, video streams and browser history from being scraped and exploited by bad actors. This is a real 2020 thing you just read about on your favorite forum, but no need to worry, for a small monthly fee you can fish with peace of mind…

Again thanks for all the feedback. Please keep the suggestions coming!

Blue Moon

Just ordered a Rafael Drone Dome, bring it!

Re: DRONE AND BOAT HACKS - NEED IDEAS [Re: Blue Moon] #13441643 02/17/20 12:49 AM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
needs a "Stay off my brush pile" feature.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide