Re: you read it here first... [Re: Big O Florida] #13440501 02/15/20 02:29 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by Big O Florida
If an athlete in other types of professional sports makes revenue off of social media, endorsements, etc..., that’s in leu of their salary which is much much higher than what earnings are for pro fisherman. The reason other professional sports figures are paid so much money is because they’re being compensated for the amount of revenue brought in to the team owners by TV and other merchandise. Sporting leagues have gone on strike in years past because greedy owners didn’t want to pay accordingly. PGA purses are much higher because of the TV revenue the tour operator brings in. Why should fisherman settle for less if what they are doing is making the tour operators loads of money on TV? Since MLF boasts having the “best professional fisherman” in the world, why aren’t they being compensated as such. $100k winnings for first is about a 10th of what a PGA pro would earn for winning a tournament. Why is that?

Well that’s an easy answer. Because fishing is considered redneck and most rednecks, other than Duck Dynasty have no draw to 99% of the world. That’s what makes the “we are professional anglers” hilarious, they have next to zero impact on boat sales, rod & reel sales and they think they are going to be big corporations to pay them like real athletes...

It’ll only take about 5 minutes for someone that is intrigued by fishing to realize that the business is pricing itself out. Prefect examples were made on BTL.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: you read it here first... [Re: Big O Florida] #13440502 02/15/20 02:31 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
If an athlete in other types of professional sports makes revenue off of social media, endorsements, etc..., that’s in leu of their salary which is much much higher than what earnings are for pro fisherman. The reason other professional sports figures are paid so much money is because they’re being compensated for the amount of revenue brought in to the team owners by TV and other merchandise. Sporting leagues have gone on strike in years past because greedy owners didn’t want to pay accordingly. PGA purses are much higher because of the TV revenue the tour operator brings in. Why should fisherman settle for less if what they are doing is making the tour operators loads of money on TV? Since MLF boasts having the “best professional fisherman” in the world, why aren’t they being compensated as such. $100k winnings for first is about a 10th of what a PGA pro would earn for winning a tournament. Why is that?

Have they asked for rev share of TV? I’m not saying they should, but you’ve already said you have no idea if they’ve even asked for it, and we don’t know what the revenues are. One thing is for sure, they’re not going to get as rich as NBA players or golfers, so there is no need to continue to bring up the amount of money. It’s entirely irrelevant.

[Linked Image]
Re: you read it here first... [Re: beartrap] #13440595 02/15/20 04:07 PM
BigBassB Offline
Angler
Angler
I'll throw out my 2 cents for what it worth (not much)

I've been a long time BASS supporter and will continue to do so. Do I think BASS will still be around in 2 years? 5 years? 10 years? Absolutely. It may look and feel different, or the same. Only time will tell, but it will still be around.

Having said that. The product MLF is producing right now is superior . I get that most didn't like the every bass counts, but this new 2lb minimum is the fix we have been looking for. I watch both tournaments last weekend and the content is so much better with MLF its not even close. The way its produced, the commentary, the drama, the excitement, everything. It is just better, and there is no debating it. I can understand the loyalty to BASS and how you can choose based on the format, but I think this year MLF is going to really show out with the new minimum size bass rule.

I don't know that I understand the hard line everyone is drawing in the sand. Competing professional trails only pushes the sport forward and lights a fire under the organizations to do better. I love all the options we have now. I will continue to watch both, but if both are on, which would I watch? I'll try to watch both, but will tend to lean toward MLF this year. Maybe things will change as the season progresses, but comparing the BASS and MLF 1st tournaments, MLF definitely won that battle.

Last edited by BigBassB; 02/15/20 05:32 PM.
Re: you read it here first... [Re: beartrap] #13440643 02/15/20 05:19 PM
T
the skipper Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
T
Haha. I guess yall haven't checked what the PGA players are contemplating have yall? All that money and they are contemplating making a new league because the big bad PGA is making to much off of them. Sound familiar? Sounds like the future of MLF too if they start really making money. That is what this is all about, the almighty dollar that they worship. The same reason they started MLF will be the same reason it will fail. Theyve already set it on that path by giving all control over to the money people, even Ike said that. I dont mean fail as in go away, but more as in fail in the anglers having the say they wanted. Technically nothing has changed for anybody outside the bpt either, you still have to fork out a ton of entry fees to fish the flw for a small chance at the bpt. What will be interesting is after the 3 year period what/if they change the rules to keep the originals in the bpt. Plus, how will sponsors respond to a guys bouncing back and forth between 40k of entry fees to none? I'm definitely not going anywhere with anything I'm saying, just think it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Same for BASS, the year they had last year was the best thing that could have ever happened to them, they have to keep improving on that too which will be extremely hard.

Re: you read it here first... [Re: BigBassB] #13440655 02/15/20 05:33 PM
Mark Jones Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by BigBassB

I've been a long time BASS supporter and will continue to do so. Do I think BASS will still be around in 2 years? 5 years? 10 years? Absolutely. It may look and feel different, or the same. Only time will tell, but it will still be around.

Having said that. The product MLF is producing right now is superior . I get that most didn't like the every bass counts, but this new 2lb minimum is the fix we have been looking for. I watch both tournaments last weekend and the content is so much better with MLF its not even close. The way its produced, the commentary, the drama, the excitement, everything. It is just better, and there is no debating it. I can understand the loyalty to BASS and how you can choose based on the format, but I think this year MLF is going to really show out with the new minimum size bass rule.

I don't know that I understand the hard line everyone is drawing in the sand. Competing professional trails only pushes the sport forward and lights a fire under the organizations to do better. I love all the options we have now. I will continue to watch both, but if both are on, which would I watch? I try to watch both, but tend to lean toward MLF this years. Maybe things will change as the season progresses, but comparing the BASS and MLF 1st tournaments, MLF definitely won that battle.

The point you make about the line being drawn is a valid one for sure and seeing the response to this early on was certainly interesting. Many on here have posted the reasons for their disdain but the reactions of some have been pretty extreme and then there’s Big O’s crusade, which has crossed the threshold any of us would consider remotely sane.

Possibly the most interesting part of this is the rants of the five fish faithful screaming at MLF to “hear them” and make changes and then MLF responds and makes a few adjustments for 2020 and those people now move on to the next list of complaints. It’s a head shaking moment for sure.

Based on the numbers from Stage One, the market agrees with you on the impact of these recent adjustments.

This will continue to evolve for MLF and for BASS. They’re going to compete and provide the best products they can for the viewer base. Pick what you like and enjoy. Neither of them are going anywhere.

Re: you read it here first... [Re: the skipper] #13440656 02/15/20 05:36 PM
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by the skipper
Haha. I guess yall haven't checked what the PGA players are contemplating have yall? All that money and they are contemplating making a new league because the big bad PGA is making to much off of them. Sound familiar? Sounds like the future of MLF too if they start really making money. That is what this is all about, the almighty dollar that they worship. The same reason they started MLF will be the same reason it will fail. Theyve already set it on that path by giving all control over to the money people, even Ike said that. I dont mean fail as in go away, but more as in fail in the anglers having the say they wanted. Technically nothing has changed for anybody outside the bpt either, you still have to fork out a ton of entry fees to fish the flw for a small chance at the bpt. What will be interesting is after the 3 year period what/if they change the rules to keep the originals in the bpt. Plus, how will sponsors respond to a guys bouncing back and forth between 40k of entry fees to none? I'm definitely not going anywhere with anything I'm saying, just think it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Same for BASS, the year they had last year was the best thing that could have ever happened to them, they have to keep improving on that too which will be extremely hard.

Can you link to something explaining PGA players are thinking about starting their own tour?

[Linked Image]
Re: you read it here first... [Re: beartrap] #13440688 02/15/20 06:26 PM
U
Used2fish Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
U

Re: you read it here first... [Re: Mark Jones] #13440717 02/15/20 07:09 PM
B
Big O Florida Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted by Mark Jones

I don't know that I understand the hard line everyone is drawing in the sand. Competing professional trails only pushes the sport forward and lights a fire under the organizations to do better. I love all the options we have now. I will continue to watch both, but if both are on, which would I watch? I try to watch both, but tend to lean toward MLF this years. Maybe things will change as the season progresses, but comparing the BASS and MLF 1st tournaments, MLF definitely won that battle.

The point you make about the line being drawn is a valid one for sure and seeing the response to this early on was certainly interesting. Many on here have posted the reasons for their disdain but the reactions of some have been pretty extreme and then there’s Big O’s crusade, which has crossed the threshold any of us would consider remotely sane.

Possibly the most interesting part of this is the rants of the five fish faithful screaming at MLF to “hear them” and make changes and then MLF responds and makes a few adjustments for 2020 and those people now move on to the next list of complaints. It’s a head shaking moment for sure.

Based on the numbers from Stage One, the market agrees with you on the impact of these recent adjustments.

This will continue to evolve for MLF and for BASS. They’re going to compete and provide the best products they can for the viewer base. Pick what you like and enjoy. Neither of them are going anywhere.

Yet, no one knows or gives a sh!t who MLF/BPT is, and they could be no more evidenced than the amount of people who show up to their events to see “the best fisherman in the world”. These fisheries they visit have numerous tournaments a year Putin by various clubs and leagues, but the only one that brings in the crowds are the ones that BASS host.

You can try and reconcile the superiority of MLF by touting some highly massaged and manipulatable viewership numbers all you want, that fact is and remains BASS puts butts in the seats at their events and customers at the check out lines for the sponsors. I’ll give it to you though, MLF has that vast majority of click farm based devices tuning in. Let’s see how that translates into the sponsors sales data.

Re: you read it here first... [Re: Used2fish] #13440719 02/15/20 07:10 PM
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Used2fish

Thanks!

That’s nothing close to players starting their own tour because the PGA is making too much money off of the players. It is interesting, though. Sounds like it could be fun to watch, if big names participate.

[Linked Image]
Re: you read it here first... [Re: Duck_Hunter] #13440783 02/15/20 08:53 PM
SAKS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

Can you link to something explaining PGA players are thinking about starting their own tour?

I seen something about it. They were trying to link Phil Michelson to it. Believe it is being funded by Saudi money. I didn’t see anything that said PGA players were trying to bail though. Was going to be just another tour from what I read. There hasn’t been much on it so it’s probably in its infancy.

Re: you read it here first... [Re: beartrap] #13441045 02/16/20 02:39 AM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Betting theres a fairly good chance Chase Anderson is looking at an exit strategy as we speak, the guys left for a reason they didn't like what they saw at the top in the new leadership...

Re: you read it here first... [Re: SAKS] #13441053 02/16/20 02:47 AM
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by SAKS
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

I seen something about it. They were trying to link Phil Michelson to it. Believe it is being funded by Saudi money. I didn’t see anything that said PGA players were trying to bail though. Was going to be just another tour from what I read. There hasn’t been much on it so it’s probably in its infancy.

Yeah, they’ve reached out to everybody. It’s not player funded or a player idea. It’s a british group trying to start something g up. Not a bad idea, and it may work, but it was misrepresented by the posted who brought it up.

[Linked Image]
Re: you read it here first... [Re: SC-001] #13441081 02/16/20 03:25 AM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by SC-001
Betting theres a fairly good chance Chase Anderson is looking at an exit strategy as we speak, the guys left for a reason they didn't like what they saw at the top in the new leadership...

Actually not true, they didn’t like what happened at the end of the previous season. You know, where there were 2 west coast scheduled tournaments, that the anglers always claim they want to go too. Then they got canceled because of flooding and BASS held their money and wanted to apply it to the next season entry fees.

Then there was Duckett & Klein who didn’t qualify to fish the Elites the following year, hence their big rush to start a new league so quickly. Got the anglers on their side while they were still pissed about the west coast incident.

Re: you read it here first... [Re: beartrap] #13441105 02/16/20 04:05 AM
emorydog Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Big Zero is like a bad case of diarrhea. You wish it would go away and you know it will eventually, but it’s just going to take some time. Haha.....

Fact is Elites were the cream of the crop hands down no questions asked in the fishing realm. Then a great majority left because someone found a way to have a free entry, chance for TV money to enter the arena, different daily tournament schedule, a different format where everyone knows the score during the entire tournament, and includes catch and release among other fresh ideas.

The Elites are no doubt the new XFL and Bass had to scramble to reformat entries and try to save face after they sh!t on the anglers for years, if the original Elite group as a whole were satisfied, they would not have left, it’s really pretty simple. They will probably be around in a few years, but I’m sure they are not innovative enough to make it marketable for TV,and thus will never be a mainstream format as it is. It’s a snoozer now for sure.

They had the highest level fishing tournament world all to themselves for years, and couldn’t get much more at the weigh in(excluding Classic) than all the elites families and their local friends, tournament staff and their families and local friends, those waiting for a check, and a handful of fishing groupies, some vendors and their families, the sponsors and their families, a few DB’s like yourself, basically equating to a few hundred attendees traveling like a pod to each tournament, most already targeted, and not gaining much in NEW interest. People not showing up to events not primarily designed for a crowd seems like it is working perfect. The bass weigh ins are generally a beating unless you are broke and need something free to do or the locals are stuck all day with the grandkids and need to fill a few hours until their parent come get them, they are perfect for an elite weigh in. Another 15 years and those 7yr old kids attending that magnificent weigh in might buy something they saw at the event, marketing genius.

You are obviously a dem, as in lieu of letting the market work itself out everyone chugs along selling their wares, some winners and some losers, you must disparage others to attempt to force your less than appealing second rate product on others. A superior product doesn’t need that tactic and crystal clear why you feel the need to do so. You are a simple shill for BASS and that’s fine... but don’t infer you aren’t. You are the clickfarm.

weber
Re: you read it here first... [Re: Big O Florida] #13441239 02/16/20 02:01 PM
D
Dubee Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Mark Jones

Yet, no one knows or gives a sh!t who MLF/BPT is, and they could be no more evidenced than the amount of people who show up to their events to see “the best fisherman in the world”. These fisheries they visit have numerous tournaments a year Putin by various clubs and leagues, but the only one that brings in the crowds are the ones that BASS host.

You can try and reconcile the superiority of MLF by touting some highly massaged and manipulatable viewership numbers all you want, that fact is and remains BASS puts butts in the seats at their events and customers at the check out lines for the sponsors. I’ll give it to you though, MLF has that vast majority of click farm based devices tuning in. Let’s see how that translates into the sponsors sales data.

Bass pays actors to be at weigh in

Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide