Re: Parenting Advice [Re: CrankAddict] #13439099 02/14/20 03:27 AM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted by UGLYSHCTICK
set your rules, stand your ground.

The Power of Prayer WORKS! The Lord Jesus Christ has CONTROL! angel2

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Parenting Advice [Re: Bob Davis] #13439169 02/14/20 04:55 AM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Bob Davis
Originally Posted by fouzman
You know I'm not a parent, Crank. But she is preying on you. Cut her loose and do it now. Don't take her calls. Don't write. Don't email and don't text. I'm afraid she is already a lost cause. Good on you for helping out as much as you have. But you can't help someone who refuses to help themselves.

Yes, I am a parent and concur with Fouz. 18 is out of your control. Lot's of 6 year olds in a bad predicament that could use some of your benevolence. Kudos to you CA for your generosity.

You've tried to help and she's rejected it. There's a period of time from about 17 to 22 where it's mighty tough to reason with a lot of kids because they know best.

I tend to agree with Bob here, sounds like you've got a special place in your heart for helping kids. Help some that can be helped. Best wishes as you sort this out!

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Parenting Advice [Re: CrankAddict] #13439202 02/14/20 08:36 AM
Tin Star Cajun Offline
Angler
Angler
I haven’t read through all the posts but here’s additional advice. I’m a retired police detective with expertise in ID theft; put an alert on your credit and make sure you have an alarm and cameras at your home and business. If she’s into drugs and boyfriends eventually they will most likely go after someone who they know. Her familiarity of your home, your credit, checks and habits unfortunately make you a easy target. Good luck

The only difference between a little girls scream and a warrior's battle cry is the direction your'e running!

[Linked Image]
Re: Parenting Advice [Re: CrankAddict] #13439346 02/14/20 02:13 PM
M
mstring Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
M
You can't help someone who doesn't want help but bless you for trying. It can be a heartbreaking road. I don't think the military option for her sounds like a good option. It can make or break kids. Sounds like it would break her. Sounds like she just wants to ride the system, feels life and society owe her for the things she has been put through, and I bet she's gotten a real good education on how to ride the system. Eventually she will probably wind up in jail. How she handles life is up to her. Be there for her, let her know you are there for moral support and guidance, but no financial help unless she can prove she is willing to change. Lots of time, a major change of scenery is what is needed. She needs to get away from those who are using her to play the system.

You said she doesn't know where you live. I hope that's true. Even if she knows the town you live in, she can find you . Be prepared for that.

Re: Parenting Advice [Re: CrankAddict] #13439363 02/14/20 02:20 PM
96speed Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
When I was younger my brother was going through a rebellious period. We always got along and had a different bond than most people. I felt like I could help steer him back to a better place even though I was 2 years younger. After a while (few years) I realized that the only one worried about the decisions he made was me. Once I finally understood what that meant I had less stress and eventually he came around. I'm not saying it will be a happy ending for your "daughter" but you can't live her life and make decisions for her. She is responsible for herself regardless of the hand she's been dealt.

Female drivers = No survivors
Re: Parenting Advice [Re: CrankAddict] #13439404 02/14/20 02:45 PM
T
Topwater2 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
We used to support my SIL. After we cut her off she ended up with a full time job and a new car. She's in a much better place and loving it. It won't be easy but you're going to have to let go. She will learn from it in the long run and you will feel better about it as well, its going to take time.

FishKen
Re: Parenting Advice [Re: CrankAddict] #13439412 02/14/20 02:52 PM
O
OTFF Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
May God bless you and walk beside you as you walk this path in your journey.

This is your journey. This is your lesson. You give all the sad details of this unfortunate lady/child and her struggle. Her name is legion. Her story is legion. This situation is not about her, it is about you. The real question is why you?
Her story is going to play out the way it plays out. More than likely very badly and more than likely she will have kids who follow a similar path. Again, the real question is you and what you do.

You have been given this lesson. You will either learn your lesson and find your purpose, or you will not.

You have to decide if you wish to take on this life altering situation. As far as her, you will more than likely fail. You will more than likely see many more sad scenarios with her, many more horrible decisions. Will being a part of that help you find your purpose, will it help you learn your lesson of life? True enlightenment comes through suffering. Only you can decide if this is what you are to do. Only you can decide if the risk is what you are to do. You have to decide if you want to try to truly save a soul. That possibility does exist. You may be the one to save her. You also may fail in a manner that has forever consequences.

Some people are put in situations that cause them to fulfill a destiny that most only dream about. Most try and avoid those situations. Again, this lesson is for you. You can avoid it, you can refuse it, you can learn it. Either way, it is going to impact the rest of your journey.

I will pray that you find your answer. I will pray that you find your peace. I will pray for you to have the strength for whatever you decide.

Ephesians 4:4-6 KJV

4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
Re: Parenting Advice [Re: Blue Moon] #13439486 02/14/20 03:44 PM
C
CrankAddict Offline OP
The Panther
OP Offline
The Panther
C
Originally Posted by Blue Moon
Prayers for you and your "daughter" and kudos for trying to help. I just did a quick search and there are hundreds of open jobs that require little to no experience on Craigslist in the greater McAllen valley area. Perhaps start by researching the local staffing companies and find one that will work with her. That might give her the option to move around a bit between different jobs until she finds a job that fits. Kids need to find something that resonates and its difficult for all kids, more so for those without guidance, because often they don't know where to start.

Besides unconditional love, I did my best to encourage my daughters to dream big. I also attempted to empower them to chase their dreams by understanding the secret of success.

Give her hope by letting her know that while she had no control over her past or the cards she was dealt, she has complete control over the moment. I truly believe the gift of life occurs in the moment and once we learn how to take control and harness the power of living life in the moment, we understand that our free will decisions we lead us to our destiny. It's a powerful teaching for those with little hope. It's perhaps the biggest gift my dad gave me and likely the best one I passed along to my daughters.

From a practical standpoint she obviously needs help and she needs to build a local support group. It's great if she can find a faith based group but if not, there are other ways for her to find help. Since we're in an election year, find out what political leanings she has and encourage her to go to work for whatever campaign resonates with her spirit. She might be able to get a paying job with a campaign that will surround her with people that may eventually become part of her support group.

Here are some job links in Craigslist for the greater McAllen area. If she's someplace else, then just have her do a similar search for that area.

Craigslist manufacturing gigs in the Valley
Craigslist General Labor in the Valley
Craigslist Retail-Wholesale in the Valley
Craigslist Marketing gigs in the valley

Prayers ~

Blue Moon

This is awesome!! Thank you!!
And you're right. She's getting some help from BCFS. They're faith based. She's got a really good caseworker who I'm in touch with. I sent her these job opportunities this morning.

God's timing is so perfect. Last night I got a notification on my facebook for this video. Hit me pretty hard.

Re: Parenting Advice [Re: boocat] #13439491 02/14/20 03:46 PM
C
CrankAddict Offline OP
The Panther
OP Offline
The Panther
C
Originally Posted by boocat
Probably not a military solution. They can fire a recruit these days, then there is the education issue. A few of the hopeless get turned around after a year or two in prison. Sounds like she is headed for an opportunity to try it that way. They don't fire you , you're there till they say you can leave and some make the best of it.

I think you're right. And when I mentioned it to her she got pretty mad. Said there was no way she was gonna go to war. I'm not the first to have suggested it to her.

Re: Parenting Advice [Re: TR176] #13439493 02/14/20 03:49 PM
C
CrankAddict Offline OP
The Panther
OP Offline
The Panther
C
Originally Posted by TR176
Her life story is already decided in the original post you said she lives with an abusive male that was so bad he caused her to have a miscarriage, she is already on SNAP, she has no work ethic, she is functionally illiterate, will soon be on Medicaid. She will stay on this pattern for a long time. Bottom for her is way further down than she is now. The old military canard of jail or military no longer works. It is true they have a program where they put you in school for one year until you get a GED, but does anyone really think the current military would take a person with a 6th grade education?

CA you must be thinking is she working me or is she really reaching out? Someone who won’t read a book for a reward is at a dead end and should give you an indication. Work on yourself and see how you can sever ties with feeling guilt or remorse. She will find her own way.

100%. She's already on medicare. And I am definitely wondering if she's working me or reaching out.

That work on yourself stuff is surprisingly insightful for the OT.

Re: Parenting Advice [Re: CrankAddict] #13439494 02/14/20 03:49 PM
B
bassmanrudy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Not a parent(yet) but I do know a little about being rebellious...
Sounds like her BF is the cause of a lot of her issues. You mentioned the things that she has gone thru with him and yet still stays; yikes! I wonder if he isn't the one filling her head with all the nonsense about her being "entitled" to government support and all?

Her not wanting to work is an issue that is concerning. 40hrs a week isn't that much at all. I'm in the military myself and Love when we just have a 40 hr week! I'm not sure she could even get in the military but that would be a case for the recruiter to answer.

One suggestion I haven't seen yet is called "Teen Challenge". I didn't know about them until being stationed here in Louisiana but they deal with men/women from various backgrounds that commit to the "program" and they learn a lot about life skills and recovering from addictions(not necessarily the case for your "daughter" but it gets them away from the ones that could be causing the issue). A quick search shows that Teen Challenge of Texas has 4 locations so maybe one would work for you.

I feel for you in that your "wanting to help" has turned more into a mooching type situation. Someone that isn't willing to help themselves isn't helpable. We have a lot of homeless here that come up to ask for "food money" but then when you offer to take them somewhere and buy them food they just scoff and walk away. They didn't really want it for "food".

I 100% agree with the above comments about NEVER letting her know where you live, installing cameras and watching your accounts. Sucks that she(or the BF) could use your phone number and do a simple google search to find out your address though. I'd personally just have to cut her off completely and not make contact anymore. But that's not my decision to make.

Good luck and God bless ya.

Re: Parenting Advice [Re: CrankAddict] #13439498 02/14/20 03:54 PM
F
Fishn_man Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
CA, I can sympathise with you. A good friend of mine has a daughter that was biologically his. Your whole story above sounds just like her except for the fact that she was Bob's biological daughter. Long story short, he had to finally cut her off and kick her out of the house. She moved to Florida with some dude that knocked her up and she had his kid. Was on welfare in Fl. and Bob was helping her along from time to time. But she refused to get a job or education and he was literally enabling her by continuing to send her money. So he cut her off even harder. Jennifer then contacted me asking for help and at the time I thought Bob was a jerk for cutting her off. So then I send her money for about three years trying to help her along. Then it was just a drain on me and the loop she was in was not improving and I'm pretty sure she was snorting my money or her husband was. The sadest part of this story is I finally cut her off too and for the past 15 years she has been in and out of the system and continues to founder and the world owes her to this day.

It didn't matter how much we helped her, the bottom line was she had to help herself and she has not helped herself as of this moment while I write this. I still hear from Jennifer from time to time, but she is only looking for money and could care less about her dad or myself or my family. She just wants to take advantage.

I hope you find a way to come to peace with whatever answer you decide is right for you, but it will pull at your heart strings much more and much longer than it will hers. She will move on, I promise.

Good luck

Re: Parenting Advice [Re: CrankAddict] #13439537 02/14/20 04:13 PM
C
CrankAddict Offline OP
The Panther
OP Offline
The Panther
C
This is all making me wonder if the tough love thing is tougher on the parent or the kid.

I have all the respect in the world for parent. I can't even imagine what it would be like if she were my blood.

Can't thank y'all enough for the prayers and advice. I have a lot to think about.

Re: Parenting Advice [Re: CrankAddict] #13439539 02/14/20 04:15 PM
SteveHummert Online Content
pawpaw
Online Content
pawpaw
Tough love is harder on the parent

Backlash

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum

Re: Parenting Advice [Re: OTFF] #13439609 02/14/20 04:58 PM
fouzman Online Content
Methuselah
Online Content
Methuselah
Originally Posted by OTFF
May God bless you and walk beside you as you walk this path in your journey.

This is your journey. This is your lesson. You give all the sad details of this unfortunate lady/child and her struggle. Her name is legion. Her story is legion. This situation is not about her, it is about you. The real question is why you?
Her story is going to play out the way it plays out. More than likely very badly and more than likely she will have kids who follow a similar path. Again, the real question is you and what you do.

You have been given this lesson. You will either learn your lesson and find your purpose, or you will not.

You have to decide if you wish to take on this life altering situation. As far as her, you will more than likely fail. You will more than likely see many more sad scenarios with her, many more horrible decisions. Will being a part of that help you find your purpose, will it help you learn your lesson of life? True enlightenment comes through suffering. Only you can decide if this is what you are to do. Only you can decide if the risk is what you are to do. You have to decide if you want to try to truly save a soul. That possibility does exist. You may be the one to save her. You also may fail in a manner that has forever consequences.

Some people are put in situations that cause them to fulfill a destiny that most only dream about. Most try and avoid those situations. Again, this lesson is for you. You can avoid it, you can refuse it, you can learn it. Either way, it is going to impact the rest of your journey.

I will pray that you find your answer. I will pray that you find your peace. I will pray for you to have the strength for whatever you decide.

Beautiful reply!

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide