Forums59
Topics1,039,215
Posts13,961,112
Members144,196
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Squarebill Rod - St Croix or Kistler [Re: danceswithbass] #13393479 01/05/20 04:15 PM
SmalljawNH Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted by andy52887
I bought a kistler klx 6’9” for that exact reason..... squarebills. I don’t like glass for squarebill around trees and docks because they are to fast at the tip and makes accuracy difficult. The feel and reel is a very nice rod but I don’t recommend it for the accuracy reasons. The klx is very nice for that purpose.

Oh, that's interesting. So it's soft but the backbone turns on too fast? Trey mentioned in a video that only the first 20% is glass so it sounds like a fast rod instead of a moderate fast which is what I use now.

Originally Posted by bassmanrudy
I haven't bought the Legend glass series yet(but want to try one!!). I do have the Legend Tourney 7' med power moderate action rod and it's a great rod! Not glass but has a nice slow load up and handles squarebills really well. If you do get the St Croix please write a review for us!

Thank you. If I get a St. Croix, I'll write a review. Even if I don't buy the St. Croix I will post about the rod I buy and what I think (for what that's worth).

Originally Posted by Shallow Waters
I don't know what your budget is, and I have mostly Kistler rods and love them, but I use a G Loomis IMX Pro for squarebills. I tried the Feel N Reel line but didn't love them. Look into this IMX - 6'6" https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/G_Loomis_IMX_Pro_Crankbait_Casting_Rods/descpage-CRXI.html

I'd like to find a rod for $300 or less for this specific setup. Squarebills helped me win money in club tournaments last year and I really enjoy fishing with them. If there is a rod that justifies the cost above $300 I may consider it. It would have to have a significant advantage though. I like the quality of the Dobyns 705 CBMF Glass and something of equal quality would be enough for me.

Originally Posted by danceswithbass
I just got a G Loomis E6X in a 7Ft Medium and it does a nice job on SB and DT6s. I had a St Croix Premier CB rod and didnt like it all, poor accuracy, super whippy and had to crank brakes all the way up on even a 1.5 crank. I had a hard time wanting to spend more than $200 on a square bill rod, but happy with this rod so far.

Nice. A lot of G Loomis recommendations.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Squarebill Rod - St Croix or Kistler [Re: SmalljawNH] #13393490 01/05/20 04:30 PM
L
L a r r y Offline
Angler
Angler
L
I use an older Kistler Helium LTA 7'3' composite rod for square bills. I also fish from the back of the boat most of the time, and I've got to say that I prefer my Kistler to my Dobyns for square bills. It does take a little getting used to the extra length of the rod, but in all aspects, and with the limited amount of rods co-anglers or back seaters has access to, I've grown to adapt to the situation and fall in love with this rod. I don't know how the newer Kistler rods feel/respond, but this rod to ME, IMHO is one helluva rod. So if you do decide to go with a Kistler, you will not be disappointed.

Re: Squarebill Rod - St Croix or Kistler [Re: SmalljawNH] #13393536 01/05/20 05:43 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Ugly Stik Lite in Medium action.

I will spend over $200 on a rod for Texas rigs, Jigs, weightless senkos, etc. but will never buy a more expensive rod for square bills, jerkbaits or small topwaters.

Re: Squarebill Rod - St Croix or Kistler [Re: SmalljawNH] #13394071 01/06/20 01:27 AM
R
rxkid2001 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
I like my legend glass except for the color, it’s hideous.

Re: Squarebill Rod - St Croix or Kistler [Re: SmalljawNH] #13394105 01/06/20 02:00 AM
S
Shallow Waters Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by SmalljawNH
Originally Posted by andy52887
I bought a kistler klx 6’9” for that exact reason..... squarebills. I don’t like glass for squarebill around trees and docks because they are to fast at the tip and makes accuracy difficult. The feel and reel is a very nice rod but I don’t recommend it for the accuracy reasons. The klx is very nice for that purpose.

Oh, that's interesting. So it's soft but the backbone turns on too fast? Trey mentioned in a video that only the first 20% is glass so it sounds like a fast rod instead of a moderate fast which is what I use now.

Originally Posted by bassmanrudy
I haven't bought the Legend glass series yet(but want to try one!!). I do have the Legend Tourney 7' med power moderate action rod and it's a great rod! Not glass but has a nice slow load up and handles squarebills really well. If you do get the St Croix please write a review for us!

Thank you. If I get a St. Croix, I'll write a review. Even if I don't buy the St. Croix I will post about the rod I buy and what I think (for what that's worth).

I don't know what your budget is, and I have mostly Kistler rods and love them, but I use a G Loomis IMX Pro for squarebills. I tried the Feel N Reel line but didn't love them. Look into this IMX - 6'6" https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/G_Loomis_IMX_Pro_Crankbait_Casting_Rods/descpage-CRXI.html

I'd like to find a rod for $300 or less for this specific setup. Squarebills helped me win money in club tournaments last year and I really enjoy fishing with them. If there is a rod that justifies the cost above $300 I may consider it. It would have to have a significant advantage though. I like the quality of the Dobyns 705 CBMF Glass and something of equal quality would be enough for me.

I just got a G Loomis E6X in a 7Ft Medium and it does a nice job on SB and DT6s. I had a St Croix Premier CB rod and didnt like it all, poor accuracy, super whippy and had to crank brakes all the way up on even a 1.5 crank. I had a hard time wanting to spend more than $200 on a square bill rod, but happy with this rod so far.

Nice. A lot of G Loomis recommendations.

That used 6'6" IMX Pro is still available on the BBC for $225. I buy most of my gear off there and have always had good luck. I have 7'0" model and I love it. I also have an older version in 7'2" with the deep flex and that is one of my favorite rods to catch a fish on, but it's a little soft to use in anything other than rocks or open water.

Re: Squarebill Rod - St Croix or Kistler [Re: SmalljawNH] #13394173 01/06/20 03:22 AM
B
basseditor Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
I use both KLX and Feel N Reel Kistlers too. I lose fewer fish with the FNR. And it’s surprisingly sensitive.

Re: Squarebill Rod - St Croix or Kistler [Re: danceswithbass] #13394762 01/06/20 07:08 PM
herbsteiner Offline
Angler
Angler

I too have an E6X 843C and also an IMX-Pro 843C. Both are excellent for small to mid-size crankbaits. The E6X is under $200 last I looked.

Re: Squarebill Rod - St Croix or Kistler [Re: SmalljawNH] #13395060 01/07/20 12:28 AM
E
ezbassin Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
E
I have used all the brands mentioned and have switched to FXtreme for my cranking rods. I had an E6X and did not like it at all. It felt dead to me, no sensitivity, at least for me it was. I have an old brown Loomis crank bait rod that is way better than the E6 but it is no longer made as far as I know. I also have that same brown rod made for spinner baits just a little shorter in length.

Re: Squarebill Rod - St Croix or Kistler [Re: SmalljawNH] #13397836 01/09/20 02:14 PM
Big Red 12 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Kistler Feel and Reel 6'9" or 7'0".

Re: Squarebill Rod - St Croix or Kistler [Re: Shallow Waters] #13438376 02/13/20 04:59 PM
SmalljawNH Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Update:
I picked up a G Loomis IMX-PRO 783C CBR for shallow target squarebill fishing. It is lighter than what I'm used to but it is growing on me. For some of the lighter balsa baits I want to fish I think it will be a great rod. I'll do my best to update this thread after I find a reel that pairs well with this rod and have the chance to fish with it more.

I was using the Dobyns DC 705CBMF Glass which is much more stout with 2x short shank trebles. I made an adjustment tomy hooks because the G Loomis is soft and I think standard wire hook short shank makes sense. Still using 12# fluorocarbon. I originally put the Shimano Curado DC151 but it felt big for the rod. I'm looking at some other options.

Thank you. I think this is the one I got and picked it up at a good price.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide